ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usuay make one of these on any fourms I use so Ill make one here too, It will just have whats going on, with my Miata, My Sunfire, or anyhting else custom im doing! At the end of this project I have going Ill post NICE scenic Pics of all the mods!
First off a Pic of HOW I BOUGT IT:

Whats Going on right now with my Miata:
Engine Rebuild after throwing #1 main bearing
New Crank/bearings
All new seals gaskets and rings
Ported and Polished head
Ported Intake manifold
4-1 Header
Corksport Engine mounts
Fidanza 1.6 Flywheel
ACT organic clutch
Cleaned block, head, and everything else.
Polished/Painted valve cover
Polished strut bar and intake
New Garage Vary Knockoff bumper
Painted inside of headlights
Tinted Tail lights(and 3rd)
Custom Fiberglass sub enclosure holding 1-12'
2 tone paintjob
New 17"s 7" front and 9" rear
Thats most of it!

A quick photoshop of the plans:

And progress! :

Any questions? As I go further into this project Ill have plenty for you all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another Update, Minor as it may be
Found out why my crank was so stiff to turn, SoI pulled my pan...again, and pulled rod #1 found out its Out of round.

Also got my friends civic tails in I ordered for her and there all busted up....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So More progress...HORRIBLE NIGHT!
Finished re-assembling eerything, installed the fidanza the head the cams, set the timing, got everything together.

Got the engine back in the car, filled the oil and started bolting up the Torque frame and exhaust then comes the drip rip drip. Pan didnt seal up correctly and started POURING oil into the bellhousing :( So Today I plled it Back out AGAIN and pulled the tranny, flywheel and pan(again) and resealed he pan(again)

Pics of it while it was out:

·
Registered
517 Posts
UPS stopped by and dropped this off :D :D :D
Fidanza Flywheel Shipping Weight 8lbs!
Sell that right quick, when I was in the MR2 community Fidanza was famous for having quality control issues. People would do clutch changes and find the ring gear teeth or the friction surface in the process of coming off.

From MR2OC

Balance Issues

"Just a note bout the fidanza flywheel that i thought would be of interest to some of you guys.

I had all the internals balanced... the flywheel being one of them.

It was out of balance by about 5grams of weights which didn't seem like much. but it was about 5 inches from the centre. At 6000rpm 5grams creates about 61lbs of imbalance and at 8000rpm it creates 121lbs of imbalance.

I remembered the higher figures cause it was more dramatic.

2000rpms was like 5lbs of imbalance."

Ring Gear Seperation:

"Ok, dropped the tranny (my virgin experience, yeah!) and sure enough the ring gear comes right off the flywheel! I run a basically stock 89 N/A motor, Stage 0 clutch, on the street only and it is a little more than a year old purchased from Terry at Grd4Spd.

Anyway I talked to Dave at Fidanza and he said that if I was willing to ship it to him on my dime, he'd see what he can do. He mentioned pressing on a new ring - worries me - and replacing the friction surface - for a fee - but he would go through it with me after he gets it. I would be interested in feedback on whether the re-ring and continued usage sounds good or not and if anyone has dealt with Dave (he seems willing to work with me).

Thanks in advance, Tim"

"Personally, after my experience with Fidanza, I would never do business with them again. I purchased a flywheel from them for my AE86 and they sent one that they had screwed up the bolt/stud pattern (a Toyota standard configuration, used on virtually every Toyota produced). I shipped it back at my expense and they shipped me another one with exactly the same problem. I shipped that one back and all they did was drill more holes in it and didn't even bother to balance it. Needless to say, I shipped that one back and got my money back.

If that represents the quality of their engineering and their commitment to their customers, then I won't do business with them again."

"i have the same exact thing as woodc... im guessing the 3allen heads hold the ringear on and the other 16 hold the friction surface on ... remember there replacable surfaces"

"Kondor you are right on - the 16 bolts hold on the replaceable friction surface on the other side of the picture. The black ring gear is pressed on and the three allen heads may have some purpose during manufacture, but I can tell you that the ring gear on mine now comes off with no need to do anything but lift it off!"

"AHA - pulled out the flywheel and pulled off the ring. There are three small notches in the ring gear which match those three small screw heads - one of which is missing, and the other two are worn. The indentions in the ring gear are about 1/8" thick. So I guess the idea is that these three 1/8" surfaces covered by the screw heads will hold the gear on during uneven heat expansion as Toytech mentioned. That doesn't seem too durable to me..."

"You get what you pay for
The falling off ring gear problems have been known for years with the 5.0 heads.

Max"

"i had the same problem with my fidanza flywheel on my sw21. the 3 allen screw that hold the ring gear in place were worn so it would slide back and forth about a half inch. Causing the car to sound like it had a bad starter and not turn over. I put the stock flywheel back in, took the old flywheel, rotated the ring gear so each allen bolt was lined up with a different hole and it's awaiting me to put it back in when i find the money to buy a new clutch.

Fidanza gets two thumbs down for quality."

"Mustang guys have told me Findanza flywheels like to fall apart.
I like HKS myself but that is only because i found it in the Junkyard
The 200mm 4AG flywheel is 14.2 LBS i belive.
I have a guy that will machine them down 2 LBS for 200 bucks
He is the same guy who builds flywheels for the Ford COBRA R.
So i trust his work.

Max"

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Sell that right quick, when I was in the MR2 community Fidanza was famous for having quality control issues. People would do clutch changes and find the ring gear teeth or the friction surface in the process of coming off.
Meanwhile, there have been thousands of satisfied Miata owners with this flywheel. I'm not saying they're good nor bad (I have Toda flywheel on my car because I didn't want the worry whether justified or not). Just don't let the few bad examples unduly influence your choice. Since you've already got it you might as well slap it in there and don't look back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Meanwhile, there have been thousands of satisfied Miata owners with this flywheel. I'm not saying they're good nor bad (I have Toda flywheel on my car because I didn't want the worry whether justified or not). Just don't let the few bad examples unduly influence your choice. Since you've already got it you might as well slap it in there and don't look back.
Maybe add a scatter shield while your at it. :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Im back guys I just finished up, I dont think I did all too bad with this engine pull(twice) rebuild and re-install on my own(had a friend offering all the assembly advice! However I didnt have a manual of any wort either.
Finished Pics:

Sorry for the blur, I was just on the phone before taking these pics(cameraphone) and smuged oil on the lense.

The header is the $135 shipped Ebay 4-1 stainless. My review on that, Smooth welds, smooth grinded welds on inside of tubes, and all polished stainless Im more than happy with it, Only complaint is it only has 1 one 02 sensor bung and I have 2 O2 sensors.

Ill be Putting the oil in it tommrow along with the coolant and then Ill be doing the break in and if that all works out im going to the shop to paint it too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New list of stuff to be done:
Organic Clutch(dunno what yet)
Paint Front bumper and do 2 tone
New rims( Sportmax 926 17x7 and 17x9
And looking into the ZEX Direct port 82030 Kit

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Couldent resist snapping a few pics tonight, I know its not painted tonight but I had to take her out and clena her she was DIRTY!

Paint FRIDAY and Photoshoot with a few of the girls SATURDAY! The Auto-X is also Sat But I dont think il compete as the engine hasent been fully broken in yet...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts