ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the NASCAR qualifying races.

Video here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9113558224063741583

NASCAR in real life is nothing like watching it on TV. The cars are loud, and I mean LOUD. Loud in a way that watching video does not do justice to. It was short so it was fun. Lots of tuning in pit row, so you got to see lots of running around and quick parts changes. When they ran in packs they pushed it really hard because they only had a limited time to tune and qualify. I got some pictures of the really bad wreck on the photo page.

After that was done, we saw the Daytona Prototypes (500hp limit) and the GT-S class (400hp limit) race a 70 lap mixed class circuit. Awesome race, really action packed. I missed a lot because there was just too many things to see, and our seats were RIGHT on turn 1 after the long straight away. The loudest car of the day was the black and red RX-8 which I have a video of.

Video here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1380550806638233325

I always knew where he was because I could hear him, even on the other side of the oval. He came in a pretty good mid-pack finish, but he was really lacking mid-range power. He had nice pick up coming out of a turn, but would get passed on the short straights. Once he got up on the oval turns he did pretty good. The other RX-8 blew huge flames coming out of pit row after an oil change and pitted the next lap with lots of smoke/steam coming out of the hood. Too bad. The Corvette spun out about 100 times and was pretty entertaining to watch. Too much torque and too heavy of a foot on each turn = lots of sliding.

After that was the IROC which turned into a destruction derby and we left before it ended to avoid the crazy traffic. It was a good race, but too many wrecks kept it on a 30 min yellow which sucked and was boring.

Here's the pictures: http://www.undeadpc.com/personal/06302006/

Tell me what you think! It was only $20 with free parking too.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, there was road racing there!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, this a JDM inspired Roadster forum.. Probably not the best place to chat about trashcar er I mean NASCAR. :mrgreen:

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you not see the RX-8 pictures?

Jerks.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Hmm, last year, while I was visiting a buddy in Missouri, we went over to Kansas City Speedway, and took out a couple of cars with the Dale Jarrett race school. The cars lked like a few recently retired Winston Cup cars; a little beat up, but the real things. I took a car out on the $350 package; you get 10 laps or so out. I've done circuit driving before, but not on a banked circuit, and not with a monster like this. My buddy was pleased; he got 88 (he's a diehard Jarrett fan). You get an instructor, but you out on the track with a dozen or s cars, and can overtake to your hearts content. They let you get real close to the wall as well. Kind of strange driving these things; all the controls feel dead and heavy. Gearchange is not much different from a tractor. But you don't need to worry about that, as you're into 4th by the end of the pitlane (4 speed box; I was surprised). Don't need to touch the brakes at all during your time out. Its all on the throttle, and basically you go the whole way round foot flat to the floor. I thought the day out was a bargain, though the pre-session briefing was, er, a little brief. They take you out on the track before hand in a truck. Then you realise the guy is cvering all the lines in a duallie, one hand on the wheel, sipping a coke, averaging 85-90...... Then you get 5 minutes briefing about the hand signals needed, and thats it. Get suited up, stand around in the blazing heat, before your car comes in. You get a couple of cheezy photos getting in the car. You're belted in, then you realise you've got to start the wagon up., and can't move to do so. Anyhow awesome day; I was supposed to get in car footage, but the camera guy was on strike or something, so I had to settle for a couple of ids with a camcorder trackside. I got it all on DVD, but its a gig in size, and don't know how to make it smaller (for free).

I've done lots of circuit days, competitive sprints and hillclimbs. Trust me, driving these big things isn't easy (for one, the cars have such an extreme alignment, its hard work to keep them in a straightline), and all due recognition should be given to the drivers' skills. I only did 10 laps, and I was sweating buckets, and shook when got out.

The next day we drove over to St Louis for a Busch Cup race; all 3 Wallace brothers were driving, and as it was kind of their home crowd, it was a bit of an occasion, Yep, concur, just like any motorsport, its miles better being trackside than on telly. A few crashes (well, thats what most people truthfully want to see) but plenty of racing under floodlight. Went down to trackside, on a green flag restart, and it literally blew my hat off. Excellent value; $40 or something for really good seats on the start line, but a good way up so you can see the entire circuit.

A couple of years earlier, I went to Kansas Speedway (a nice circuit, excellent facilities, and right next door to Cabelas
)

I can't remember which series, but it was a "junior" nascar (well, the cars looked the same to me, but were apparently slightly less powerful); more local drivers, and drivers just starting out. It was very entertaining, some close racing, and it was neat to see a 17 year old win on a superb drive.

Only one troubling thing was the numbers of people getting seriously tanked up. At St Louis is was beer, at Kansas, mixers :shock: 100,000 flag waving truck drivers all leaving at the same time.

I dunno, after seeing the comments here slagging off other forums for being close minded, I'm a bit surprised at seeing some of the responses here. If you don't want to read about motorsport, don't open up the topic, let alone bother to make a reply.

Glad you enjoyed your raceday experience. Its all good, no matter the format or where in the world it is. A Petrolhead is a petrolhead is a petrolhead. Some aren't, I guess.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I dunno, after seeing the comments here slagging off other forums for being close minded, I'm a bit surprised at seeing some of the responses here. If you don't want to read about motorsport, don't open up the topic, let alone bother to make a reply.
Ok ok, the trashcar comment was a bit much.. #-o

but it was all in good humor, i guess if you get my sense of humor.. or whatever. you are right about being closed minded though.. that's not a good thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your raceday experience. Its all good, no matter the format or where in the world it is. A Petrolhead is a petrolhead is a petrolhead. Some aren't, I guess.
sadly enough, MANY aren't true petrolhead's...

i happen to enjoy japanese, american, italian, british, german, cars, trucks, jeeps, motorcycles, coupe's, convertable's, boats(petrol powered of course), classics, modern, air cooled, water cooled, fast and fun, slow and comfortable, car shows, off roading, superbike racing, f1 racing, drag racing, drifting, nascar racing, rally racing, spectating, participating, etc etc etc.

and then i know some guys who:

only like american cars and drag racing. or even more specific, only fords and drag racing, or only chevys and drag racing. nothing more nothing less.

or just japanese cars and drifting, etc.

imagine how boring life would be as a close minded petrolhead...

i honestly just feel sorry for them :(

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That NASCAR stuff was only about 2 hours, which is about all I could stand of it. Then agian, all the races were about 2 hours and that's when I got bored of all of them.

My car attention span is 2 hours, I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts