ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight I finally started tearing apart my Miata to make it a SCCA legal Spec Miata.
I will continue to update the thread as I progress in the build. (hit me up if you need any stock parts). Sorry bout the crappy pics.

2/1/06
Started gutting the interior. I found like 4 buck in change and a couple of french fries. :D Not done yet, I still need to peel the tar and remove odd and ends of the wiring.

Here is how she looked before:

And after the strip....

The pile of junk (for sale)

Random motor shot...

Roll bar install will be next up.

Enjoy.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
That steering wheel makes it look fast already! Good luck with your project. Spec Miata is a great series. Beware though, the competition is fierce.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
nice lookin mx5 youve got there, hope it stays that way for a little while once you start racing it :D

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Yeah keep us updated on your racing, there is a couple guys in my local club that run SM, and they really have their cars hooked up!!! It looks like soooo much fun, i would love to do that, i just dont have $$ for another Miata at the present, so ill have to live through yours!! hahahaa

Phatty

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although It doesn't look like the car has changed much I made some good progress today... So far I have taken out around 210 pounds with more to go.

Fedex man brought my new wheel/QR yesterday

Wheel/QR installed...

Oh noes a new/old Buddy Club shift knob

Took out the all the AC guts from under the dash...what a bitch...

The hole....

Cruise Control and Alarm out

Car on the scales to see how much crap I ripped out

The weight with out me 1970 (still need to rip out ac under hood and power steering)

Grape Crush.... :freakout:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow, crazy how light our cars get!

I wish you good luck with the Spec Miata racing, I've watched it before, extremely tight racing! Unfortunetely I hear that there is quite a bit of cheating that goes on in SpecMiata, but don't let that ruin your fun!

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
how long did it take to remove the under dash ac, Im prolly doing it within the next few days?, like an hour or so?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how long did it take to remove the under dash ac, Im prolly doing it within the next few days?, like an hour or so?
Vent the A/C lines under the hood. About a total of 5, 10mm bolts, a couple of clamps and some tugging( :shock: ) and wa law!!! Took about 30 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, crazy how light our cars get!

I wish you good luck with the Spec Miata racing, I've watched it before, extremely tight racing! Unfortunetely I hear that there is quite a bit of cheating that goes on in SpecMiata, but don't let that ruin your fun!
Yeah cheating on the regional level is crazy.... :roll:

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
cool I have the whole system removed other than the dash section right now, where are you getting the hose for under the dash and firewall plugs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adding the roll cage will bring the weight up. I believe you can also ballast if it's too light.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Usually the entire dash needs to come out to fit the cage etc...seems like that would be a better option for AC etc removal. ;)
The duct for replacing the evap unit and firewall grommets can be had from Mazda....or from a no AC donor.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts