ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start this build off by saying, this is my daily cruiser that might see some track and or autocross a little bit in its life time. I can't afford to thrash it at the track at this point in my life, but who knows things might change and I'll slap a turbo in it and make it my drift car. As of now, It's my daily car that I absolutely love to drive!

I've had the car for almost a year, so I've done a fair bit to the car as it is, so I'll try to show you guys the beginning of this car.

I want to keep track of how much I spent, so here's a list of my hard earned money going into this Roadster!

Miata + $2000
Soft Top + $300
Stance GR+ Pros + $650
Paint Job and Repair Collision Damage + $2000
Fender Flaring + $500
Rims + An Old 200 Dollar Camera No One Was Using

Doesn't take much to add up! :haiguyths:

So I'll start it off with the first picture I took when it was in the sellers driveway!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So when I bought the car it was in rough shape, the owner tried painting the car himself and did a decent job for the most part. I think he used cheap paint due to the extreme fading on the hood and the trunk. This car was not pretty...

But that didn't matter to me because this '99 NB Came with the following features:

85,000 Miles.
Limited Slip Differential.
Leather Interior.
Bose Sound System.
Special Edition Nardi Wheel.
Clean Under Body.
No Rust on The Panels.

So when you consider I showed up with 2 Grand Cash to pick this car up, it was a pretty good deal!

But there was a fair bit of bad that came with this car as well:

Multiple Holes in the Soft Top.
Scratches and dings pretty much everywhere.
Leather was scratched up pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a really good deal on a soft top, it's a 10AE Blue Soft top and I paid 300 bucks! It was a little dirty but it came with rain rails and frame, so I couldn't pass it up! Spent the afternoon slapping it in, ran into a few hiccups but over all went pretty smooth!

Here is the little Roadster with the new roof in!

I thought the Blue Soft Top matched the Blue on the car pretty well!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the part of the build that started out as a curse and slowly turned into a blessing.

So here is the story, I took the Thursday off so I could attend probably the biggest car meet in the area called "Ertefa." I was near my work so I went to quickly pick up my cheque. It was one of those perfect sunny days, top down, music blasting; It was just a uplifting day and I was driving a little recklessly, I'll admit.

So, I work at an ice rink and its at the end of a long industrial road, its a two lane road with two lanes going opposite directions. I found myself stuck behind this Ford Edge going fair bit under the speed limit, she looked timid like she didn't know where she was trying to go. I saw her right signal flash and I went to pass her on the on coming lane and she just decided to turn left in to me.

I get out of the car, there was some yelling going back and forth. At the time I thought it was legally a 100 percent my fault and insurance in Canada is insane as is; so I tried like hell to convince this lady that we shouldn't go through insurance and her husband stepped in and piped up saying "Give us 10 Grand cash and we wont call the cops." I got them to not call the cops but he said he was going to his body shop and his body shop only. I waited for the quote and it was 7,600 dollars so I said **** it and went with insurance after all.

Now yes, I know morally it was a 100 percent my fault. I should have been more patient, but **** happens. I was more then willing to pay a fair amount for the damages but they were obviously trying to scam me. The quote came back with interior dash trims, tail lights and a rental car for 28 days. It ended up being 50 50 on the insurance, so my insurance company ended up paying for half the damages.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was searching on a local Honda Civic Facebook and I saw an ad stating he wanted to trade these pretty much brand new rims with no rash and tires for a Camera. So, I offered him my 200 dollar Camera that no one was using expecting him to say "Yeah, I'll take it but with cash on top." But, he didn't; he ended up agreeing with a clean trade!

These aren't expensive rims by any means, but 500 dollar rims in Canada easily become close to a 1000 with shipping and customs.

Gave them a good polish!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a lady who used to work at Mazda and she used to own a '99 NB as well. She had a bunch of parts an I got the following for 60 bucks:

5 OEM NGK Spark Plugs.
Bosch Wiper Blades.
Two OEM Black Carpets (Still in the plastic!:haiguyths:)
Black Scuff Plates

I thought it was a pretty good deal, because used Roadster carpets are around a 100 bucks on eBay!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changed spark plugs shortly after I got that stuff and to my surprise there was a fair bit of oil on the one of the spark plugs! I'll reseal the valve cover when I tackle the timing belt a little later this year.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally saved up the money to get my car fixed and it was perfect timing because winter was right around the corner. I ended up going through a co workers mom that owns a body shop and she gave me a really good deal. Insurance is paying for half of the damages, so I paid 2000 dollars for the paint job itself and my insurance got the covered the other half!

I decided to go with paint code 25T Spicy Orange Mica! (That's where the build thread name comes from)

I fell in love with this colour as soon as he did a test on my bumper!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Nice, good build so far. Can't wait to see the new paint job!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Oh damn, I do remember that thread. I just thought you were copying that person....which was you. :p

1 - 20 of 354 Posts