ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all :D

I've got the flyin' miata Vmaxx XXtreme sport package. They just feel far too stiff for my needs. I want the car to be very comfortable on the street. I want it to not break my back at the end of a long day of driving on long freeways. Any suggestions as to remedy this?

Make my Vmaxx softer, or get a new set of suspension?

·
Murse Magnet
7,628 Posts
I'm listening... such as? Elise seats blow the budget.
Where are you located? Maybe it would be better if you could test out some other people's miatas and see how you like their suspension setup. Elsie seats won't make the car feel softer by the way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah +1 on trying out other suspensions. There's really no good answer to your question since it's all based on preference. Try searching through some of the threads in the suspension forum. Basically every setup possible has some kind of record on this site. Also, welcome to CR! I'm located in the Bay Area as well, maybe i'll catch you at a meet sometime.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Hey all :D

I've got the flyin' miata Vmaxx XXtreme sport package. They just feel far too stiff for my needs. I want the car to be very comfortable on the street. I want it to not break my back at the end of a long day of driving on long freeways. Any suggestions as to remedy this?

Make my Vmaxx softer, or get a new set of suspension?
How much research did you do BEFORE you spent your $$$ on a setup that does not fit your needs?

Research is free...mistakes are costly

The VMAXX classic would have probably been a much better choice in the spring/shock department

What wheels/tires/air pressure are you running?...what ride height?

All of these will affect ride quality

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
get balloon tires.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Your suspension is probably not set up properly (not enough shock travel) You're suspension set up is about as soft as they get with out being "stock" how low is your car?

"The XXtreme Sport package comes with 391 lb/in front and 258 lb/in rear spring rates."
The spring rates on my teins are much stiffer than this and they ride excellent. Your problems lie elsewhere not in your "stiff" suspension.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It will almost be impossible to get an OEM soft ride out of any coilovers or sports oriented shock and spring combo that is available. Stiffness is subjective thereby some people will tolerate better than others. There will be a degree of compromise if you want anything other than the OEM set up. Upgraded shocks + OEM springs will be your best bet if you want close to OEM comfort.

But if you can improve your tolerance to stiffness, yes there are coilovers that can give you a decent ride but they are close to the higher end pricing. Proper alignment will also come to play. Tire size is definitely a major aspect of the overall suspension compliance. A well sorted out suspension can get expensive.

Drive it more may be it'll soften up a bit if not get some Swift springs with lower rates. Give them a call and see if they can help. This way you can protect your initial investment. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My springs are 3x as stiff as my oem and provide a much better ride than they did. Stiff springs don't make for a bad ride.
Subjectively correct. Stiff springs may not be as bad if your shocks can handle the rate of rebound and compression thus comes the high end pricey shock units.

If your shocks can't keep up with your spring rate you will have a jolting ride :ibtl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
correct, I was just trying to tell the OP that his springs aren't too stiff. He needs to find what is really causing his uncomfortable ride.
My ride height is not very low. I am running 15x8 with 205/50/15 tires. The car rides just below 1" above the tires. It is not slammed at all. I am even running on the softer damper setting. And it is still just painful at times to ride it. I know Miata's are notorious for being noisy in the cabin (especially with hardtop) but mine is just brutal. I am running 27 PSi in my tires.

Previous owner put the coilovers on, not me. He was planning to track the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My previous miata had KYB AGX shocks and Oem springs and it was great for daily. Then I installed FM springs and it was a good combo. Some people say illumina/FM springs are the go to combo for overall performance and comfort.

My current miata set up is FM V-max xtreme with the rear helper springs removed and NB tophats. It is probably the stiffest car I have ever been in, but I enjoy it. That good old wooden roller coaster feel.

I'm not sure how S-techs are in miatas but I have installed them in evos and stis and the outcome of the ride quality is really soft compared to stock.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
On a glassy smooth 4 year old track surface the FM vmax Xtremz felt like 2x4's on each corner. I was pretty amazed FM would stand behind that product.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
As others have suggested, I'd start off by seeking out other miata enthusiast to ride in their aftermarket suspension equipped cars but ALSO have them ride/drive yours to get their feedback. What one average enthusiast says is 'stiff', another might say is 'soft'....it is subjective like exhaust, etc.

I will add that this isn't a uncommon complaint with the Vmaxx now whether that's because they have sold a lot or many that buy them have too high of expectations, i cannot say. My own personal experience has been with a nb1 with 150k mile oem Bilstein suspension and then Warbird's 97k mile oem na8 suspension, then 10k miles on custom Fat Cat Motorsports Elite 2040 coilovers with 375/325 springs with valving meant to achieve a nice compromise between comfort and handling with comfort being foremost and now around 500+ miles on Feal's 441Road Race coilovers with 672/448 springs.

In comparing the Fat Cat Motorsports to the Feal's it is obvious Shaikh achieved the goal of a 'grand touring' setup with the Fat Cat Motorsports i have but i still think the Feal's, while stiff are still comfortable for daily commute with them set at half way between soft/hard. Plan on playing with them between full soft to hard and have no doubt that full stiff will be too stiff for me and even at full soft will ptobably not be as soft as the FCM's but they do have Road Race in the name for a reason. :suicide:

Sports cars like Miata's just don't have a lot of suspension travel which is key to making a comfortable ride so you combine that with lowering, thus limiting suspension travel even more and having to compensate with stiffer springs and valving to match and many budget oriented coilovers just don't do it as well as more costly counterparts....obviously. Having a realistic goal/expectations and being able to try different setups will definitely help but the coilovers themselves have to be taken into consideration with other factors like tires, additional suspension mods, etc.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My ride height is not very low. I am running 15x8 with 205/50/15 tires. The car rides just below 1" above the tires. It is not slammed at all. I am even running on the softer damper setting. And it is still just painful at times to ride it. I know Miata's are notorious for being noisy in the cabin (especially with hardtop) but mine is just brutal. I am running 27 PSi in my tires.

Previous owner put the coilovers on, not me. He was planning to track the car.
As previously stated, the notion of 'acceptable' when it comes to suspension is very subjective. What is your frame of reference? What are you used to? What are you basing 'painful' on? It's going to be hard for those of use who have acclimated to understand where you are coming from and what your expectations are.

We would love to help but a bit more data will help us help you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As previously stated, the notion of 'acceptable' when it comes to suspension is very subjective. What is your frame of reference? What are you used to? What are you basing 'painful' on? It's going to be hard for those of use who have acclimated to understand where you are coming from and what your expectations are.

We would love to help but a bit more data will help us help you.
Sure. I've never driven a stock Miata, so I can't come in handy there. My frame of reference is I guess just what I would imagine a properly sorted sports car to feel like. I understand there will be great compromise with ride and handling. I just can't shake the feeling that the suspension should have much less "drama". I get a stiff ride. That I am fine with. What I am experiencing is almost a floppy feeling from the suspension. In that the stiffness causes the car to almost fall apart.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts