ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
-What year is your miata?
-Any idea on how many miles are on the Vmaxx?
-What brand/model of tires? How many miles on them?
-Any other suspension mods?

You said it is stiff but now saying floppy...that doesn't jive unless you are referring to the feel of the chassis which if it is a na i can see that, especially a na6 (90-93). You also say what 'you imagine a properly sorted sports car should feel like', putting coilovers doesn't make it 'properly sorted' and again that phrase is subjective. Not trying to 'split hairs' but as Ben said the more information we have the better we can assist. :)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Wait what? So do you have this: https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-v-maxx-xxtreme-coilovers-for-na-sport-package.html
Hey all :D

I've got the flyin' miata Vmaxx XXtreme sport package. They just feel far too stiff for my needs. I want the car to be very comfortable on the street. I want it to not break my back at the end of a long day of driving on long freeways. Any suggestions as to remedy this?

Make my Vmaxx softer, or get a new set of suspension?

Or this:
I've got a 94 with 135K miles on it. Coils probably have 20k on them. I've got the FM frame rails, and their stage 2.5 suspension kit.

I'm thinking I'll just have to get some rides in other cars to compare how they feel.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/na8-stage-2-5-suspension-kit.html

One is adjustable coilovers and the other is a 'fixed ride height' spring and Tokico shock combo.....:dunno:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm guessing that OP mis-spoke with the .5 and has the vmaxx sport stage 2 kit with the bars, but it's just a guess. Pics would confirm, though it's all hand waving with out butt-in-seat-research. That said though if you want to spend money on a good GT setup there's a FCM setup in the for-sale section that might be worth a look. If you want to play with what you have I would suggest setting the swaybars on full soft and playing with the damper adjustment's, something like 2/3 soft up front and 1/2 soft in the rear. See how that feels and keep adjusting till you have what you feel is the best you can get out of what you have.

As to seat time, the Bay Area should be very lucrative in finding research options. Keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Wait what? So do you have this: https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-v-maxx-xxtreme-coilovers-for-na-sport-package.html

Or this:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/na8-stage-2-5-suspension-kit.html

One is adjustable coilovers and the other is a 'fixed ride height' spring and Tokico shock combo.....:dunno:
Sorry, I misspoke. I've got the Stage 2 set up.

Edit: I've realized they sell a set up for NB and one for the NA. The 2.5 kit for the NA. That's NOT what I have. I have the NB set up that flyin' miata converts to NA.

Also, I do have the GarageStar door bushings. I'll try toget some in car footage today, though it is pretty difficult I have to admit to "show" or "tell" others how my car "feels".

One way I can articulate it is that the roads in my area are very uneven. Not terrible cracks and sharp ridged edges, but lots of weird slopes. One wheel will dip into the slope and the others will be still on the flat edge, and the car will become extremely upset by this. This is what makes me think the suspension is too stiff.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Get garage star door blocks and that should help your suspension do its work instead of having the chassis flopping around.
Doesn't stiffen the chassis, but it does stop the NVH coming from floppy doors on loose hinges. The perception is that it is stiffer, but the reality isn't quite so. In any event, the door blocks are awesome for what they do.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Joseph,
you need more spring, and essentially a better damper.
The other ingredients are in place, including your driving experience on your current setup.
Although there are other tweaks you can and should make, a new set of coilovers is overdue for you.
perhaps a bigger front sway, and proper alignment. From there you can collect some more data and tweak the chassis more as necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all :D

I've got the flyin' miata Vmaxx XXtreme sport package. They just feel far too stiff for my needs. I want the car to be very comfortable on the street. I want it to not break my back at the end of a long day of driving on long freeways. Nox Vidmate VLC Any suggestions as to remedy this?

Make my Vmaxx softer, or get a new set of suspension?
My springs are 3x as stiff as my oem and provide a much better ride than they did. Stiff springs don't make for a bad ride.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts