ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs,

I submit to you, the best mod ever. You see, my car had a mysterious rattling coming from the engine compartment. I found the problem: the hood propping rod.

My first solution: remove it, keep it behind the driver's seat. That quickly got annoying. Plus, I didn't like seeing it there.

My second solution: custom fabricate some sort of rubber gromet so the metal of the rod doesn't rattle against the metal of the rod-holder-thing. Or, a rubber band!

:mrgreen:

It's been there for about 2 months now and holding up very well, though the rubber band broke.

---
---
---

UPDATE:

The rattle came back. I check under the hood, and notice the rubber band got loose and disappeared. So new and EVEN MORE IMPROVED AND BEST DIY mod!

This is a plastic hose you get at any local auto parts store (Kragen for myself). It is a 3/8" outter diameter, 1/4" inner diameter vinyl hose. That's what is printed on the hose itself. I bought it for another reason but it was not the right fit. Luckily, I had some extra. It's snug on the rod and seems pretty snug in the bracket. I just put it in earlier today so we'll see how well it holds up!

·
3,857 Posts
I would first copywritting the idea before posting :p

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raen & NAautoxer:

very possible. it occurred to me that the rattle got worse every time i revved higher, no matter the gear i was in. so i began thinking it was something that connected a part of the engine to a part of the chassis. turned out i was sorta right, i guess.

cant hurt to try - or at least just remove it and see if it solves it before trying the rubber band. and get the thickest rubber band you can find lying around.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I don't have a hood prop. Had to save weight ;) My current engine bay rattle is the hood hinges - they have a tiny bit of play in them (the actual pivot joint) and like to rattle at idle. Fun. Haven't devised a solution yet.
-Ryan

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Thanks man, I'll look into that once my car is back on the road. Hopefully that will be soon too...lol 2 months w/o the Miata SUCKS.

ThePass, I do believe I'll look into that as well.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i still have other rattles that i need to figure out, including one coming from the passenger side edge of dashboard area. and some buzzing from around my rearview when my hardtop is on.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i made an improvement, fellas.

If you're in the OC or SoCal and you need to do this fix, you're welcome to come over and use my hose. ;) giggity giggity.

i have about another 2 ft, and you really only need a tiny bit.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just get a turbo and a 2.5" straight exhaust. then you can't hear any rattles. :) I think I could lose a fender in the middle of a drive and not notice. heh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts