ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
You can't handle all of my brown.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to make another "whats that noise?" thread, but I haven't been able to find a thread that quite describes my issue.

I'm getting a click, or series of up to 5 clicks (sounds like a slow metallic creak) when the weight of the car shifts from front to rear, or vice versa. It is definitely in the rear. It happens when the drivetrain is quickly loaded (taking off from a stop, lifting off the throttle while rolling in gear, or downshifting without rev matching). This would lead me to believe that its an axle, or the driveshaft or something, but it also happens when I brake. I can be rolling along and pull the e brake and I'll here "clickclickclick". This makes me think that its something suspension related, but I've replaced all of the bushings with poly, replaced the alignment bolts, and tightened every bolt I could find with the car on a lift. It seems like something is shifting, because I can make it click in one direction (pulling the e brake) and then make it click in the other direction (accelerating from a stop), but it wont click repeatedly in the same direction. It also seemed to get a little worse after installing fender braces, which is really weird. Not sure if there's a correlation there.

Already done:
Poly bushings all around
New brake pads and hardware
Tightened all suspension/ppf/brake/bracing bolts
Motor mounts
Tein street flex coilovers

Sorry for the wall of text, but this has been driving me crazy for over a year and I wanted to give an accurate description. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd definitely have to agree that suspension seems like the most likely culprit. Check all of your springs to see if there's any damage?

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is the car? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
It's a 95. Has a racing beat midpipe and axle back. The car also made the noise with my other two exhausts, with and without cats, so I wouldn't think it's related to that. Now that I think about it, the click noise kinda sounds like a hot exhaust cooling off after shutting the car off.

It sounds like it's conducting through the frame and into my roll bar, so I can hear it pretty clearly right behind my head. Sound also exists with the top up or down, and with a hardtop installed.

@WyattJS I've had the suspension out once or twice since this noise has started, including swapping stock shocks for coilovers, so I wouldn't think its spring related, but I can take a look at that.

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to get a video of the noise earlier. It's quiet, but you can hear it at :06 and :23. Sounds like a metallic creak, or series of clicks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfeHxKTmHwg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts