ClubRoadster.net banner

N/A-than's idk what I'm doing build thread

51K views 255 replies 52 participants last post by  N/A-than 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm Nathan and have been meaning to join for quite a while, but never had gotten around to it. Figured I would make a build thread although I don't know how often I will update it, but will try when I can.

My car is a 1990 that I picked up about 10 months ago.
The car had 98k on it when I picked it up and for most of it's life was in California so it is pretty much rust free.

It looked like this from the dealer when I bought it:

Needless to say it needed some work. About a month later I found some stock daisy's for it so I could get the car off of the awful wheels that it came with. I also ended up polishing it up to get rid of the dullness of the single stage red.

After a couple of months it was looking pretty much stock:

Picked up a couple of parts in the first few months of owning the car namely some wheels that would eventually be put on the car. A pair of Enkei Rpf1 14x7 +19 in gold and a pair of TE37v's in 14x8 +0.

The plan at the time was to hold on to the wheels and in the summer buy Jubiride overfenders, Maruha coilovers, some r888's for the wheels, a hardtop, etc.. But then I found myself jobless for the summer because my current employer had ran out of work (I am mechanical engineering intern) and so after the semester was over I didn't have a source of income that could afford the parts I wanted to purchase. That was alright though because I just wanted to enjoy the car and was in no rush to modify anything.

Fast forward a few weeks into summer and I hop to facebook to see a deal on some wheels that I just couldn't pass up for the life of me for some reason, a set of Advan a3a's in 14x6 +6. I know what you are probably thinking now, "why would you get more wheels when you already have some just lying around?". Well the idea was to just run adapters for these wheels and do a couple of simple things because I would have the money for that route and I figured why not because I would already have tires for them.

A few weeks went by and I secured a part time job and was able to save some money and purchase a few other things. I bought an R-package lip, Dunlop Direzza Zii's, H&R Race springs, and some AGX shocks to use for the time being until I buy coilovers.

Along with the few things I picked up my dad for some reason really wanted to get the car painted and looking "better" (I guess because he has to look at every day when he leaves and comes home from work and was getting tired of seeing it with the old paint). So he helped me out and I dropped off the car for paint and body work a couple of months ago and am about to pick it up in the next week or so. Also right before I dropped it off for paint I managed to find a hardtop for only 850 in really good condition minus paint, but that didn't matter because the car was going off to paint only a week later.

Hardtop:

The car will be black and I couldn't be more excited to get it back as the painter has done a really good job! Will post more pics of it when I get it back here soon.

Preview:

For the few weeks that I have been waiting on my wheels to arrive I was curious as to how they would look fitment wise on the car. I was worried being 14x6 -9 with an adapter that the rear wheels would stick out just a tad and not look right with 185/60/45 tires. The fronts on the other hand seemed like they would fit fine from all that I had looked at. I kept worrying about it because I didn't really want to run over fenders anymore for now. So what's a guy to do but hop onto Yahoo Auctions and search for a pair of wheels for decent prices. I stumbled upon a pair of my favorite wheels in 4x100 and had to have them for the rear! A pair of SSR MK2's in 14x6.5 +7 in black! I bid on it and as of Monday morning around 4 a.m. I am the new owner! Pretty excited as I love old school wheels! (Pretty excited is an understatement)

I also picked up a Nardi Classic D Cut steering wheel last week and it finally came in today along with my Advans. So I'm pretty stoked right now. Can't wait to get the car back and get all the parts I have for it on it! (Although I really don't have that many to put on)

Will update once I get the car back from paint!

Thank you for reading!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yoooo! Thanks man! I hope so! The SSR's are about to be shipped along with a couple other small things. Small update though as the car is back from paint!!! I am extremely happy with it and hadn't seen it until today with the hardtop on and everything back together. Some cell phone pics are below I will take some later with my camera and upload them as well.

#10 ·
Thank you, I thought it may be a Gara Sport, but where I bought it from for some reason said classic. Excited to see the advans on there as well, but more excited for the SSR's going on the rear that I believe just shipped about an hour ago. Here's to hoping they come in within the next couple of weeks!

Looking good! I like your profile pic too. :3
Thanks man! Did you get your wats back? I like my profile pic as well, BUT I LIKE YOUR ACTUAL ASUNA FIGURE MORE! At least I thought I saw one in your pic on instagram the other day.

looks clean, how did the door jambs and eng compartment come out?
Thank you! The door jambs came out really well, the guy painting really made sure they looked good as he hates when that part turns out poorly. Engine compartment turned out well also, I wouldn't have cared if it had been left red to be honest, but am very happy with the way it all turned out!

Damn. I wish my body were half as straight as that. Your wheel selection is on point, nice job!
Thank you sir! Pretty much the most important part of the car in my opinion are the wheels because you can have the nicest car in the world, but ruin it with not so quality wheels. I was lucky to find one here in Kentucky that had only been here for a couple of years and hadn't been exposed to that much salt or anything (not that Kentucky especially Lexington gets that much snow by any means) and that the previous owners at least here were an old couple that didn't drive it that often.

On a side note here's some pics of a cool, looks to be 90s miata I saw on tumblr today.

#16 ·
Mmmmmmmmmm everything about your car

the new paint looks great, I'm jealous. Can't wait to see it with those wheels on :icon_cheers:
Thanks and same here!

Got the chance to install the springs and shocks this last weekend. Took quite some time because for the life of me I could not get the front upper control arm bolts loose, everything else didn't take too long though and it was fairly easy and straight forward minus that part. Also used NB top hats in the rear to have at least the body sit about the same in the front and back, but I have seen this setup with both front and back with NB top hats and I think the front sits too low. I really like they way it turned out though, pretty much the same height I would have put it to if I had coilovers and once the fenders get rolled here in the next couple of weeks wheels will be going on!

Sorry for the crappy Iphone picture. Once I get the car "together" with wheels I will shoot some film of it and post the scans up.

#17 ·
Not much going on right now, just added the r package lip and "test fit" the Mk2. By test fit I mean I made sure the wheel fit on because after looking at it the back side of the wheel is very flat and I was concerned that it would hit the brake caliper ever so slightly, but luckily everything cleared like I thought it would!

#18 ·
Still not much going on as of now. Ordered a Works Bell hub for my steering wheel and that came in today. Installed the Nardi and the interior is looking decent as of now.

In wheel news I realized that I needed new lug nuts from SSR to run the mkii's so I got online and ordered those. Got a call the next day saying they wouldn't be in until middle of October because the current set they have at their warehouse has already been sold. So in the meantime, after I get the fenders rolled (still waiting to borrow the roller), I figured I would put my RPF1's to good use. Plan is to run the rpf1's in the rear with the a3a's up front as per usual and then when the lug nut's come in switch the tires over to the SSR's and put them on the rear. Also since I don't want to run the direzza's when it starts getting cold I figured I would just put the crappy All-Seasons I have onto the two rpf1's and then the two "worse condition" advan's and run that for the winter months.

#21 ·
Thanks! OOOORRRRR YOU BUY RETRO WHEELS IN LIKE 14X14.

Ready.

Set.

Go.

I spy Circuit Soul shifter, what'd that end up costing? I was really keen on one when they were advertising pre-orders.

How much are you paying for your shank nuts shipped?
$48 US shipped for 8 of them. And I believe it was around 150 shipped for the CS shifter. I bought it a while ago and can't remember what shipping amounted to. I also wouldn't know what it would be to NZ.

I also forgot to mention I will be ordering zeromotive floor mats tonight (because that's of course the most logical next purchase). Since I need over 150 for free shipping as well I figured I may as well buy a zoom engineering vent cup holder because why not.

#31 ·
Wheel Update:

Lug nuts shipped and should be here next week so Mk2's will be on soon and also I won some more wheels off YAJ for stupidly cheap that will be here in a couple of months:

Will need some work, but am very happy. Next on the list are Hayashi streets, need a set so I can paint on pair either all black or full gold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.