ClubRoadster.net banner

181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
PNW JDM parts god
2,006 Posts
No, would like to have a set done by Pine at some point, but if I go anywhere outside of the country I would like to use Izanami some day, but would be expensive. These were done by wheelflip
i think with the exchange rate, pines prices arent too bad even with shipping. saw a set of xr4 he had redone, they were awe inspiring. diamond cut anodized faces, so nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
i think with the exchange rate, pines prices arent too bad even with shipping. saw a set of xr4 he had redone, they were awe inspiring. diamond cut anodized faces, so nice.
Yah the trick is just finding a set of wheels already in stock or in NZ, which isn't that hard. Yah he does really good work as well, saw those longchamps you are talking about, looked really good.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Haven't been up to much lately with the car, however I am working on a pair of tail light housings for porter tails since I don't think GV ones fit necessarily with the look I am going for. Almost done with one side, just need to bondo and smooth everything out. Probably will be a few weeks before I get around to finishing them, have zero motivation right now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Been a long time since I have updated the build thread, figured I would now towards the end of the year. Car has changed quite a bit since the last time I updated. I think the last time I was earlier in the year when the car just had stock body and fixed headlights with just a lip. I went to Japan in middle of April and picked up a Mizuno Works 265mm Leather steering wheel for the interior. Have wanted one for awhile, but never picked one up last year when I was living there over the summer. Went to a couple of old car events while there with fellow RDB members Joel and Phil as well as others and had a blast as usual. After coming back Joel and I got to talking about things we wanted to do to change up our car a bit, if any of you keep up with Joel's build thread you can see how far his has come in the past year with his color change and wheel change and all the other incredible things he has done to make that car look completely fucked. IMO one of the top roadsters right now and I think is on par with Hanamaru Racing in Japan, which for us is top level roadster team for the style we enjoy (Joel let's get them carbs done).

So after discussing kind of the direction each of us wanted to go with our cars, I set my mind to doing fender flares, something I had always planned on doing when I had first picked up the car 4 years ago. Sent a message to Rod and Jubiride flares were ordered. Took about 3 weeks after ordering to come in. In addition I decided TRAP spoiler would ideal for the car as I was basing this stage of the car on one of my favorite roadsters, a white NA that the original owner sold in around 2010, but comes up often if you google TRAP lip. I have always loved this car and the jubiride flares along with trap parts really give the roadster an old car look that looks really good.

In order to run flares I would need to widen the front 7.5J A mk2 to a much wider spec to fill the rear arches. I ended up widening the to 9.75J -34, work done by wheel flip. The rear 8.5J -19 pair was moved to the front when the flares were installed. For those wondering, because I get this question occasionally the tire specs are also 185/60/14. I want to widen a new set of wheels to 10J A for rear and 9J A for front, I should be having a pair of wheels dropped off end of the week to be widened to 10J A for a future set that will be done in the next few months.

To get the fitment where I wanted I needed pretty stiff spring rates in the rear so the flare would sit right on the tire and also would keep the suspension from moving so the flare itself wouldn't break from smashing into the tire. I decided to order 326 power 40K springs, which have worked perfectly and ride fine in my opinion. 20k or something lower would have worked, but since the dampers are valved for around 8k, the 20k rates would have prob been pretty bouncy so to speak, but since 40k don't really move at all the dampers don't really have to do much work. At least in my mind that's how it works, I haven't ever done the calculations on it, but it rides fine and I actually need to order 35k for the front so I can lower the front.

Took a few months, but around August I was able to fit the flares and trap spoiler and it also took me another roughly 3 months to actually paint everything to match the body color. Also I finally painted my roll bar yellow.

Pics of the car how it sits now are below.

Also at the beginning of December I sold the Bomex spoiler I had lying around and ordered GV tails, another piece I have wanted for a long time. It came in a few days before Christmas and I just finally test fit it tonight.

I also removed the Mid Tenn headlights, going back to the pop ups as I think it suits the style more. Want to order a 100mm trap lip to really complete at least the exterior look of that white NA, but for now just sticking with the current lip I have.

Anywho, ordered a new front bumper recently that will be here in the next couple of months along with a different set of wheels to use with some tires I bought while in Japan earlier in the year. Really looking forward to those new parts because I really think it will take the car to another level for me personally.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Car looks unbelievable, but 40k springs? Roads must be smoooooove where you kick it. Pls don't trap lip.
40K isn't really as bad as it sounds, it can be rough, but not nearly as much as people think. I have a friend with 35K front and 80K rear in his corolla and it feels fine driving in Southern California on the highway and all over. Also this lip won't be on for terribly much longer, but I do want 100mm TRAP to at least somewhat complete the look of that white NA, also similar to other 910 bluebirds that do zg flare with hakosuka spoiler and chin spoiler. If anyone googles Ultra Heaven 910 you will see the look I am talking about. Also wanna do slit spoiler on the rear.

·
Registered
362 Posts
frankly i hope you just got them in a good color
everyone gets the green and pink ones

also i get it
my car bottomed really easily when it was mildly low on 9/7s, thanks to that loser suspension travel
it got really annoying hearing that fucking noise from the frame rails, so i raised it up (also after i got stuck), but harder springs would've fixed that

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Yesterday I actually got my other porter tail's turn signal fixed. It wasn't wanting to work at all, but I cleaned up the terminals and now we are good to go! Still need to install everything on the GV tails, but it's been pretty cold out so haven't really wanted to go out there and put everything on.

Sell me the other headlights?

Kinda love how it looks right now with the super wide fourteens. Good **** man!
Thanks man, will hopefully have a few more sets of wheels completed in the first half of the year. I plan on keeping those headlights since they are so hard to find now haha.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Man, this thing is cool. Kind of in love with those Advans.

Sorry if I missed it, but what lip is that?
Arrow's Racing, mazdaspeed replica, can still be bought new from them.

Small update:

Finally got my dcuatro bumper in this week. Bought through a friend about 5 or 6 months ago on auction, luckily ended up winning for relatively cheap. Have been wanting one ever since Joel put one on his car a couple of years ago. Was lucky enough to find one for sale in good condition. It even came with all the wiring harness needed to hook up the fog lights. Pictures below are just of test fitting. Will need some trimming of the flares to make them work with the bumper. Paint for the bumper and GV tails will come first though. In addition to bumper arriving, a set of 13" formula mesh also arrived that I purchased through a friend. Specs are 8j A and 9j C type. I was under the impression the rears were supposed to be A type, but once we received them we saw the rears were C type. This is ok, I will eventually get them rebarreled to 10J A eventually and prob the fronts relipped to 9j A. For now will just run around a 40mm spacer in the rear for the fitment to at least look right. Have Bridgestone slicks for these I bought last year while in Japan. Anywho pics below:

Also in the last few weeks I bought another project car, an 84 SR5 Corolla coupe. Literally the worst version of corolla to start with I think haha, but it runs and was cheap. Worst engine and face, but that's ok I plan on swapping to 16v sometime this year and levin front. Plan is to keep the car simple, 13s with just lip or goodline front and maybe TBO hood. For now though, I plan on just getting it back on the road and enjoying. When I purchased it the previous owner had taken it apart and painted it inside and out (besides engine bay for some reason), so I am in the process of putting interior and trim stuff back on. Excited to get it looking cool though and a fun car for most likely starting to drift in. Have wanted a corolla way before I ever bought the roadster.

181 - 200 of 239 Posts