ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was junkyard shopping and found a light that is to the left of the glove compartment. i have a 1996 and it didnt come with one. so i took it home and was curious if all NAs had the same wiring harness with certain plugs tucked away, or is this something im going to need to tap into the harness behind the dash?

·
Registered
300 Posts
The early NAs had two of those lights for the interior before they started using the overhead light where the rearview mirror is. I'll have to check mine and see if the wires are still there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a 93 and I have those as well as the lights under the rear view mirror

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cant find a plug for an oem connection. gunna have to use vampire taps somewhere. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vampire taps aren't that big of a deal. Are you in a huge rush to get it done? Cause I could help you out with it if you need.
do you know where i can vampire tap the 3 wires behind the center console to have the light work like the dome light? the shorter the wires the better. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is the wiring diagram, http://www.madracki.com/miata/images/wiring/92diag.pdf

If you go to page 3 c-11 It's the wiring for the interior lights.

This step isn't quite necessary but I replaced my door jamb switches because they were failing:

In order to get them to connect I had to add a new end to the wire :

New door switch on a new connection :

As for the wiring, if your exisiting map lights are working, your best bet is to simply add the wires for the lights you want to work, and put them on the terminals of the housing for the stock bulb. This will retain all use of the switch and simply just make what would be the bulb, your lights.

From left to right :
Constant on, door, off

From left to right:
Constant on, door, off

And if you were wonding, from what I gathered, this is your set up, but I'm not 100% sure :
Your red up top is the constant power feed, your white is the feed for the door switch and the black is your ground. I'm 98% sure that's right, but I'm not definite. Don't hesitate to use the wiring diagram above to help you out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh i was curious the best place to use vampire plugs inside of the dash. the diagram helped alot!! but now i need to look for where those colored wires are and where i might be able to draw the voltages from within the dash/center console.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was hoping i didnt have to tap into the dome light switch, hoped there was somewhere closer. :-(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts