ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

first things first: I HAVE used the search but I couldn't find a thread specifically for my request:

I want to hide my stereo. Not for Easter but to prevent my softtop getting sliced. In my other car I have only a mini amp where I can connect my cell phone for music. That's sufficient for a nice-weather-only-car.

But in my daily-driven-mx-5 I'd like to keep the stereo for comfort. So I'm looking for ideas and inspiration. What's a good place for the stereo? Do they fir underneath the seats? Or should I put it in the trunk? Other places?

And what about the controls? I think of putting the cover plate into the arm rest, or something like that.

I'm really looking forward to hear your ideas since I don't have a clue yet as what'd be the best/most convenient/easy to install method.

I bet some of you guys have alreday done that. I prefer to use the dash space for gauges and switches and - most important - a goddamn clock :mrgreen:

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
There are three generations of cars, which one do you have?

edit: whoa, missed the thread tag :fp:

Why not just a radio blanking plate with just a volume knob? What controls do you need?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Why not sink the radio further into the dash a little, then put a blanking plate over the opening and radio?

·
Registered
179 Posts
just get one that the face plate can come off and then hide the face plate somewhere in the car. nobody is going to steal it without the faceplate and they wont know that it is in there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
odd i typed in hidden stereo under search and voila found threads including one called Hidden Stereo. less than 15 seconds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weird. I could've sworn there was nothing, sorry.

NVM, more for me to read.

Sinking the stereo further back would be a good idea, although since I want to use the extra space in the center console for additional gauges and switches that won't work.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
POS looking cassette HU with a hidden iPod/phone in.

You might get lucky and have someone break in and leave you a couple bucks for a better radio.

·
Registered
645 Posts
they had a thread about a guy who extended the wires for his radio to behind his passanger seat and velcrowed it to the rear wall haha idk if u wanna go that route... i just bought one of those faux car alarm lights and mounted it to the bezel with the on off switch in my center console, my cars stays with the top down since i got it bc theres dry rott holes on both sides at least 2"x8" long and i still have my flip out screen

·
Registered
69 Posts
"A couple bucks" :lol: Does that leave him SOL on the other damages? Funny and optimistic thought though!

OP - Have you considered simply using ear bud headphones? I do that in the other car for longer trips. In the Mazda, I use a plush toy from my girlfriend to cover the counterweight shift knob + stereo. Removing and storing the faceplate is a hassle, so I only do that when I leave the top down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I've read that thread about putting the HU behind the passenger seat, too.

I guess the easiest way would be the glove box. I never need that thing anyway, had a keyboard in there in my old car. I read somewhere that you may have to destroy the glove box for the radio to fit. Meh, but better than anything else for now.

Thanks for the input.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I've read that thread about putting the HU behind the passenger seat, too.

I guess the easiest way would be the glove box. I never need that thing anyway, had a keyboard in there in my old car. I read somewhere that you may have to destroy the glove box for the radio to fit. Meh, but better than anything else for now.

Thanks for the input.
You have a bored BP?

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
BP is somewhat common nomenclature for the 1.8l engine. Yours being listed as 1.9 has caught someone's attention. :)
Are there oversized pistons in there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nah, then I must've got it wrong. Changed the sig.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts