ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find a thread like this. So here we go...

I've been shopping around for an NA for a while and I can't help but notice the amount of low-mileage automatic cars out there.

Which got me thinking... What about buying an automatic and doing a conversion to stick?

So, how hard can it be? Any of you guys have any experience with this, or have done the conversion yourself?

1. One, idea would be to buy 2 cars, the automatic being the low-mileage car - then swapping the tranny from the higher-mileage manual into the cleaner car with lower-mileage engine and sticking the automatic into the previous-manual car to get it sold.

2. Another idea would be to start with 1 car and sourcing a manual transmission, wiring harnesses and/or ECU, plus the pedal cluster to install into the automatic car.

What are your thoughts on this? Doable? Worth it? Too much hassle? What am I missing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just source the parts and do it. I have a 96 auto. Friend of mine said that since I know how my car drives and feels and plus it has no rust there's no point in purchasing another one either to convert or keep. I will hopefully do it sometime in the next month or so while I have my engine out.

There's quite a lot over at M.net. They also have a post in the garage section. But 90% of their mindset is "not worth it". IMO it is. Heart and soul of a car is engine and tranny. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not hard,but a lot of work,More than you may realize,IF you want to do it right and completely correct.
Motor...Different cams and thottle body and compression.
Gearbox...Need flywheel,clutch lines, and clutch kit,PPF frame,driveshaft,diff(Diffrernt ratio)
Interior...Instrument cluster,ECU,Console,Pedal box,Shifter boot

No doubt a few other bits and pieces i can't remember.
This is working with RHD JDM spec(89-95)1600cc cars,Not 100% sure on LHD spec's and differences though,Won't be too far different.

Would be good to have a complete donor car the same year,But then you do have the issue of not getting abused manuel driveline to work with.

m net is a good place to check as already stated

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a an automatic, doing a swap over to a MT. You can source all of your parts fairly cheap off eBay.(pedals, shifter boot,ecu. etc) if your mechanical its not going to be a problem. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts