ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys been a fan of the roadster a long time
i finally ended getting one for a project.
since im a big TuRD fan i was thinking of
performing a a blacktop BEAMS swap

·
Registered
15 Posts
I strongly considered the Beams 3S-GE/6MT swap from an Altezza before I had to part with my '95 M-edition project.

Coming from a mostly Supra/MR2 background, I'm a huge fan of Toyota engines - but swapping the 3S-GE Beams blacktop and 6-spd fron an SXE10 Altezza is going to be far from a walk in the park.

The Beams 3S-GE is a little bit taller than most 4 cylinders, and the Beams 3SGE's from Altezzas were all front sump, which means that you'll be doing a rear sump conversion at the very least, and having seen the engine next to a Miata BP 1.8L I'm not sure that it could be made to fully clear the hood without crazy tweaking such as shimming the front subframe, etc.

Parts are also a problem - other S-series engine parts from US market 5S-FE's, 3S-GTE's, etc generally won't fit the Beams motor.

When considering a 3S-GE swap, make sure it includes the MAFS, ignitor, drive shaft (or at least a cutoff stub for the output shaft yoke off the transmission itself), wiring harness, and ECU. Locating any of those parts separately is a nightmare and very expensive. Expect to pay at least $2k for a decent one, the cheaper engine sets almost invariably have missing parts or other issues.

Best of luck on your build, regardless of what you decide to swap in!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That would be an awesome swap if you could pull it off.I just assumed it had never been done but if that link shows one I'm definitely checking that out. Rotary swap? But easiest would be the 1.8 by far, easily obtained and cheap for a low milage motor.

Welcome to CR!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, this is my first time posting on here, but i plan on stuffing the toyota beams blacktop into my 1990 miata, some one mentioned clearence issues? i've thought about this because the blacktop is front sump and the miata's steering rack would be right where the belly would be. how about dry sumping it? does any one know where to get a dry sump plate for a beams? or an entire dry sump kit? with dry sump i could lower the whole engine and trans right too clear the hood? not that im all that worried about the hood if i have too ill run it without one. ;)

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
hi, this is my first time posting on here, but i plan on stuffing the toyota beams blacktop into my 1990 miata, some one mentioned clearence issues? i've thought about this because the blacktop is front sump and the miata's steering rack would be right where the belly would be. how about dry sumping it? does any one know where to get a dry sump plate for a beams? or an entire dry sump kit? with dry sump i could lower the whole engine and trans right too clear the hood? not that im all that worried about the hood if i have too ill run it without one. ;)

I'm going to guess that a forum for MAZDA Miatas might not have information on a fairly rare TOYOTA motor. Just a guess. :lol:

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
does any one know where to get a dry sump plate for a beams? or an entire dry sump kit?
JAPAN would know.

If you're truly serious, you need to sign up at mr2oc.com and use them as your resource for these types of questions. They probably won't really know much, either, since those motors are fairly nonexistent in north America. A halfway decent resource might be Aaron Bunch at atsracing.net. I don't think ATS has done any BEAMS swaps but he's so deep in the Toyota/MR2 world that I'm sure he has some good contacts.

Run without a hood? That's some ghetto **** right there. Why would you invest so much time and money on a swap that is prohibitively difficult and expensive and then drive around with the car looking like trash? At least get (or make) a cowl hood that fits.

The only thing you're gaining, out of this swap, is the "nobody else has done it" factor. You could get more power for a fraction of the time and cost with a well planned turbo kit. And if you just want to throw money at your car you should do a LSx swap.

Why not ditch your NA6 and just by a rolling shell of a SW20 and do the swap into a car that it's made for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the hood thing would be a temp. thing. the gain for me would not be the no one else has done it. its the 200whp n/a with the dual vvti +some because i am going too build the motor a little before i install it. im not a big fan of turbo lag. so i figured this would be a good canidate.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
the hood thing would be a temp. thing. the gain for me would not be the no one else has done it. its the 200whp n/a with the dual vvti +some because i am going too build the motor a little before i install it. im not a big fan of turbo lag. so i figured this would be a good canidate.

It's not 200whp. It's 200 crank HP. Through a RWD drivetrain, you could probably expect to see 160-170whp.

I'm a Toyota fanboi, and i don't even see the value of this swap, to be quite honest. I never saw the value of this swap into Celicas or MR2s, either.

·
life is bitch!
2,302 Posts
you could order a big hood scoop from JEGS or just prop the **** out of the back of your hood hella illest style.

dreamer thread sure is dreamer.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Per above, the BEAMS motor won't get you anywhere near 200whp. Even if you "build it a little". And good effing luck at that - since you don't even know where to get parts for this engine.

You can achieve your goal cheaper and quicker with a turbo or supercharger. If you have turbo lag on a small 4-banger making 200whp you either designed your turbo setup poorly or are driving it wrong.

And if you really hate turbo, get a Rotrex.

Bottom line - the BEAMs swap would be cool from a "I did it just because I can" standpoint. But if you have any goals beyond that related to performance, you're going down the wrong road.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Well.... in his defense, it wouldn't take much to get it to 200whp. IF you could find the parts.

Which you can't.

However, there ARE parts out there somewhat available to take a 3rd gen "normal" 3sge to over 250whp n/a.

Doesn't make it any better of an idea to swap it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts