ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gays,
so I'm just about ready to install my Footwell sub box I bought off Black Roadster. I got my sub jl 8w1v2 4ohm and jl jx250/1 amp, got my polyfill for the box and my wiring kit.
now thinkin bout amp location my first choice would be to remove the passenger airbag cover and remove the airbag (my bags already deployed when i rearended someone so this is a replacement bag that is not hooked up). and put the amp in that space then close it back up and nobody will be the wiser. except for you fucks!
now i know user PhrenetiK just did this on his NB but he's parting his **** out already so i can't ask him how it held up.

im just worried that with the summer sun beating down on the dash, my amp will be cooking in there. id like to reserve the spot behind passenger seat for parallel megasquirt install with mah stock ecu back there. i guess behind driver seat is also an option but I like the thought of removing the dead airbag weight and stealth amp location in one.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reading some ****, i guess i could wire a fan to the remote turn on wire and it will come on with the amp. maybe this is the way to go if i can fit a little fan in there?
all this wiring **** is a bit over my head but i guess nows the time to learn

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
I think a little fan like you'd find on a computer case would be a good plan. Can certainly see why you'd be concerned about heat in that location. Maybe add some heat barrier to the underside of the dash?

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, not a bad idea. i have access to plenty of that gold heat foil. guess ill pull my airbag out and do some test fitting with my amp.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

got some space and theres openings on either side so its not totally cooped up in there

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

removed the airbag cover from the airbag itself, this is with the amp in there. stealthyyy

·
RISE OR DIE TRYING
157 Posts
Was it hard to remove the airbag cover from the airbag itself? I've been wanting to relocate my amp from the trunk to the exact location, great job!

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, just took a couple of minutes. few 8mm nuts, and drilled off some rivet heads.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcbump. still havent installed this **** lol, buying new door speakers and headunit while im at it. still fan shopping too.
i think im also going to pick up a dash cover/carpet of some sort to keep the sun off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just my 02
I have yet to over heat an amp from leaving it in a small space. The amps I've had and abused (hifonics fosgate, zapco etc) have all gotten hot, no issues ever though. And specifically pertaining to you I had a fosgate amp in an ammo box in my bronco basically sealed in a metal box smaller then the airbag area that got warm but never had any issues. I really highly doubt you'd overheat it just leaving it in there.

No guarantees though lol

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input. just worried because its practically in direct sunlight. i think im gonna wire up 2 little 3 inch fans in there just to be safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The fans can't hurt. Just use a relay powered by the remote turn on for the amp. Don't power them straight off that wire because the headunit might not take it. Also the sunlight thing by itself won't do crap to the amp. What will heat it up to the point of failure would be using it at max power in a small space thats already hot for like 30 mins...
GL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts