ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I'm considering the AWR widebody kit for my 10AE, assuming I use a 15x8-0 offset wheels, do I need to do more to get the proper look with these AWR flares?
I've read Bill's post where the AWR kit extends out ~5" and I don't think 0 offset rims will move the wheels out far enough.
I want to stay away from custon A arms and assoated $$$ suspension components.

Thanks for the help and advise.

Pat Conlon, Palm Desert, Ca.

·
3,857 Posts
Custom arms is the best way to go but I guess it's $$$ or $$$$ to be correct...

·
3,857 Posts
Actually if you could wait a few months Bill Wilner would have an update for you (since he has an AWR body kit)...

·
CR.net Supporter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terry,Max & DJ, thanks for your thoughts and yea, I thought so.
To me, nothing looks more goofy than wide wheel flares with the tires inset 4" or so.
My car is a daily driver with occasional AutoX and track. No drifting planned.
I'm getting one of Tom's FFS coldsides (CARB approved), so only moderate power is planned.
I know I'll be fine with conventional 15x7's and 205/215's but....

The lines on that AWR kit look soooo bitchen.

Pictures do not do it justice. You gotta see it in person. I saw one on a NA....wow! (note to self) Gotta get one of these.
I waited but could not find the owner of the car to see what he needed to do to get the wheels out to the edge of the wheel wells. I left my card w/phone # on the car but, alas, no call.
The rims looked to me to be a 0 or even a + offset.

I do realize that this is waaaay overkill on my modest car, but, it looks sooo cool.

I'll wait and see what Bill decides to do on his beauty.

Thanks again guys.

Pat Conlon, Palm Desert, Ca.

·
CR.net Supporter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you could probably ask the company, I bet they designed for a specific offset
Hey Sid, IIRC AWR in San Diego planned fabrication of custom Miata A arms but scrapped the project last year when the final costs came in, but I'll check again.
There is a shop in San Dimas, Ca. that does custom Miata race suspensions.
Big SSS, real trick stuff. I'll find and post the link tomorrow, it's on my computer at work.

Pat

·
Registered
489 Posts
you could probably ask the company, I bet they designed for a specific offset
Hey Sid, IIRC AWR in San Diego planned fabrication of custom Miata A arms but scrapped the project last year when the final costs came in, but I'll check again.
There is a shop in San Dimas, Ca. that does custom Miata race suspensions.
Big SSS, real trick stuff. I'll find and post the link tomorrow, it's on my computer at work.

Pat
Yes the shop you are speaking of is San Diams Auto. Adrew Fernandez is the owner ans a flaming ass (I should know he tried to put me off the track on a practice day and then he threatened to beat me up. This was when I was a minor also...). He does not make the A-arms himself and if he did I wouldn't trust my life to them. The arms he is running are made by Paul Yaw of Yaw power (a large mostlt rotary race shop in Arizona).

Here is the link to the A-arm page on the Yaw power site:

http://www.yawpower.com/miatasuspmain.html

Paul is a great guy and he build a mean carb (I run them on my Pro 7 car).

·
Registered
141 Posts
u wanna save money 10mil spacer. i know spacers blah, but if its just for looks thats cheap and when u run it on the track take the spacers off no one cares wat your call looks like on a track just wat its doing.

·
CR.net Supporter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Bill, ok 2.5" per side isn't all that bad. What are you planning to do?

If my stock offset is -40mm and I went to a 0 offset rim it would move my rim out about ~ 1 5/8" with my stock 6.5" wheels. With 8" wide wheels, 1.5" wider it would add about 3/4" to that outward extention or right around the 2.5" that's needed.
A 949 Racing rim 15x8 at -20 offset might be ok with a 225 tire.

TIA

pat

I've read Bill's post where the AWR kit extends out ~5"...
FYI, the overall width of the car's body is increased by 5" (2.5" each side).

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts