ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you all kick off I have searched this and gone through many many threads and failed to find a definitive answer to this particular question.

From what I gather the only difference in the coilovers is the threaded shaft at the top of the damper is longer on the nb's when compared to the na's.

So surely I can fit the nb coilovers to the na top mounts and make some sort of spacer to take up the extra thread?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If you're getting NB shocks and coils it's best to pair with NB top hats, and even better with a set of ISC top hats.

If not, and you go low get prepared to bottom out a lot. NB shocks are longer in the front than oem na shocks, and Iirc shorter in the rear, but lowering it will lose suspension travel unless you pair it with the right top hats.

(I'm assuming also, that by coilovers you mean some sort of oem style shock with ebay sleeves)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Before you all kick off I have searched this and gone through many many threads and failed to find a definitive answer to this particular question.

From what I gather the only difference in the coilovers is the threaded shaft at the top of the damper is longer on the nb's when compared to the na's.

So surely I can fit the nb coilovers to the na top mounts and make some sort of spacer to take up the extra thread?
you haven't found a definitive answer because its a god awful setup. sure it will work, but why?

Most people convert to NB tophats so you GAIN suspension travel. With this setup, you will ride higher, then drop the car to compensate and lose more suspension travel (which is already pretty scarce in the NAs). Its not a good idea, if you are already cheaping out on ebay coilovers, do yourself a favor and pick up a set of NB tophats. A used set will work just fine too.

Or, you can build your own sleeves. summitracing has allstar performance 5" sleeves for $13-$14 bucks, you can either buy the allstar performance perch which is another $15 on top of that, or find a 2.5" threaded shaft collar online that uses similar threads (I don't know if they all use the same threads or not, you will need to research that and calling/e-mailing allstar performance is probably the quickest way to finding the thread pattern on the sleeve).

Do suspension right! its the best part of our cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the replies. The issue is only the nb ones are available in the uk and nb top mounts are getting real hard to track down.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think he is asking for a full coilover setup. let's say Megans or Teins. If that is the case will they bottom out as well? for all others ISC top hats is the way to go.

·
LL cool Dave
2,602 Posts
Redemphex- you are wrong sir. You don't gain suspension travel from NB top hats. You actually loose suspension travel if applied to NA shocks. If you install offsetting top hats like ISCracing, then you gain travel, that is there purpose.

Horton- you won't find them in the uk because a small shop in the u.s makes them .
Www.iscracing.net
Unless someone has a used set for sale

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Redemphex- you are wrong sir. You don't gain suspension travel from NB top hats. You actually loose suspension travel if applied to NA shocks. If you install offsetting top hats like ISCracing, then you gain travel, that is there purpose.

Horton- you won't find them in the uk because a small shop in the u.s makes them .
Www.iscracing.net
That's the first time i've ever heard that..

In my case, I have NB shocks in my NA. My coils are turned all the way down, so that means my shock shaft is being shortened by virtue of having the weight of my car push down on it till the top hat touches the spring. If I would have installed NA top hats onto my set up, I'd definitely be riding higher, because for one, the top of the shaft wouldn't be offset and raised upwards like how the NB top hats allows it to be. ISC top hats are raised further, so instead of lowering the car by compressing the shock, it just raises the top of the shaft higher allowing me to raise my spring perch and gaining some stroke back to prevent bottoming out as often...

I don't see how NB hats on NA shocks would lose shock stroke (and for my arguments sake suspension travel)

Basically, It helps against bottoming out.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
You do gain travel with NB tophats, but you will loose ride height not travel. You loose ride height because the tophat itself is thinner, which allows the spring to sit closer to the chassis. You gain travel because the bushing can extend further into the car. It is plain as day if you look at the design. Come on now. They are built like less extreme ISC tophats, same concept.

The shock length difference can change travel, because you are putting a longer or shorter shock in the space space. I'm not sure which is longer or shorter though. I've never bothered to check. I just use coilovers w/ nb or isc hats.

Na hats

Nb hats

Herp derp

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Www.iscracing.net
That makes no sense.
Here is how I understand:

NA shocks on NB mounts is the most travel before bottoming out
NB shocks on NA mounts is the LEAST travel before bottoming out.

NB shocks are taller, so when you lower the car, you will bottom out earlier than the NAs. now, add in the NA mounts which mount "lower" in the car, and you once again shorten the amount of distance before bottoming out.

That's the first time i've ever heard that..

In my case, I have NB shocks in my NA. My coils are turned all the way down, so that means my shock shaft is being shortened by virtue of having the weight of my car push down on it till the top hat touches the spring. If I would have installed NA top hats onto my set up, I'd definitely be riding higher, because for one, the top of the shaft wouldn't be offset and raised upwards like how the NB top hats allows it to be. ISC top hats are raised further, so instead of lowering the car by compressing the shock, it just raises the top of the shaft higher allowing me to raise my spring perch and gaining some stroke back to prevent bottoming out as often...

I don't see how NB hats on NA shocks would lose shock stroke (and for my arguments sake suspension travel)

Basically, It helps against bottoming out.
It wouldn't, it is good.

OP:

What coilovers are you buying? or are you just getting the coilover sleeve +springs (coilover kit).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im going to be geting rokkor/racelands.

only hte nb versions are available at the moment so ill get hose but im struggling to find nb top mounts so i am hoping can modify the na top mounts to accept the nb shocks.

it looks like i can but i will loose travel.

im not going to slam the car i want the tyres to fit in the arches with a very slight gap. with a set up like this do you think i will be on the bump stops all the time?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't know, you will have to test it out yourself. very small gap between fenders and tires is cutting it close. For sure, you won't have enough travel (on raceland spring rates) to stay off them all the time. so be prepared for some uncomfortable driving if roads aren't very good around you.

Your ride height is very vague, so depending on what you mean by "very small", you could be fine. For example, I have a "very small" gap between my fenders and wheels. By that I mean, I can fit my hand flat in, but not much of my forearm (4.75" ride height at the front pinch weld).

Just do it, you will be fine. if it sucks, just raise it up some and get ISC tophats, I am sure you can call mike up and ask for international shipping. or try Flyin Miata, their tophats are really nice too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts