ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Miata MX-5 LS. The mods are K&N cold air intake, OBX header, FM hi-flow midpipe (w/cat) and Racing Beat Power Pulse cat-back exhaust. Timing is advanced to about 14 deg BTDC. The car runs great. Does anyone think it might be necessary to add a wideband O2 sensor for tuning purposes; or will the stock ECU take care of any fuel issues?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Quick question: how did you advance the timing on a VVT motor?

Also, how are you tuning? Do you have a standalone or do you plan to send the ECU somewhere? If you have a standalone, get a wide and. If you just have these mods and think that means you're tuning your car then you'll be fine....the stock ECU will tune fuel according to IATs and the MAF. It will tune for gas mileage though :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I advanced the timing by replacing the stock timing encoder disk (behind the crank pulley) with a slotted one from 5x Racing...only $30, a little time and a timing light.

I'm not doing any engine tuning yet. My original thread was if I needed to or not...with my mods to the intake and exhaust. There is NO forced induction on this 04 Miata LS.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Interesting: did you notice a difference? I remember reading somewhere that the timing change cheat of pivoting the CAS on a VVT motor did nothing so I'd be very interested in doing this!

As for tuning......well you have no need to really. The ECU will compensate for any added flow by throwing more fuel at it. Of course, your stock ECU is going to tune for gas mileage. It will still add power but not as much as it could.

For $500 you could send your ECU to a tuner and get your computer tuned for your mods. This would net you more power and worse gas mileage but it would feel awesome!

For $800 you could get a megasquirt and tune the car yourself (you would also need a $200 wideband)

Edit: are you running 93 octane fuel??? If not.....please start

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Explain to me who reflashes the stock NB ecu.
The same people who do the NA ECUs.........I already have inquired to a couple of the factory miata ECU tuners and they've confirmed they can do 99-00 and 01+ VVT motors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts