ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
revlimitterrrrr. i am going to get the s2000 button installed soon. Do you have any good night shots of the s2000 button? I want to see pictures of it glowing. Did you change the bulbs in the start button? I heard the stock bulb inside is not that bright? I was thinking of getting a red LED , but not sure what kind of led will i need. Thanks

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I don't think I have any lighted pix. I've had the S2k button in Sharka for 11 years and may have never taken a lighted pic.

The button doesn't glow. The red part is opaque. The ENGINE START text lights up though. It's not dim, but it's not brilliant bright or anything. It comes with a tiny bulb and small orange condom over it. I removed the condom on both so that the text lights up white.

You can't see it light up in the daytime, but at night it's impossible to miss.

·
Registered
278 Posts
adam, so is it worth it to upgrade the bulb to LED? So basicly its the letters light up orange and if you take off the condom it lights up white. Do you mind taking a picture of your s2000 button night shot with the white light when you are free ? Thanks

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
Just bought all the parts needed for this a few days ago, waiting for it to get to my house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there room for the button where the cig lighter is? I've got a coin cubby that I'll be putting in place of my air bag switch, but I like the low placement.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
Put it in place of the hazard switch and just relocate the hazard switch.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there room for the button where the cig lighter is? I've got a coin cubby that I'll be putting in place of my air bag switch, but I like the low placement.

Yup. It would fit perfectly there. The button is the same size as the lighter hole. I just wanted it close to the driver instead of the passenger. For a RHD car, the lighter spot would be perfect.

You could also get a blanking plate for the power mirror control and put the button there.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
At first I was like lol that's gross. Then I read your explanation and was like actually that's a good idea.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's extremely easy to change the wiring so that hitting the button while the car is running does nothing. You'd wire up a constant power to the start button relay instead of a constant ground as I have it in my diagram. Then you switch ground with the button. And the ground you switch? The one that's connected when the hand brake is activated.

I did the wiring with a switched power (strange in the automotive world) because that's what the S2k button seemed to want according to the internal wiring. And because it was easy due to having a power source (the lighter) just right there. But a very small amount of extra work could get you a start button that only worked when the hand brake was raised.

By the way, in 10 years, I've not accidentally hit the start button once while the car was running. Ever. Not even during autocross, when I'm just as likely to hit the horn and wipers as I am to shift gears. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have daytime running lights in my car (a 2001) so that the lights are also operated by the handbrake being released. I am not sure whether there are any sneak paths in the logic that could cause trouble. But yours is a great idea for a car with no other connection to the parking brake switch other than the brake warning light. A lot of racing cars use spring-loaded toggle switches with a flip-top cap that blocks the switch except when it is being actuated - that's where I got the idea.

·
Registered
480 Posts
this is awesome! Im thinking about doing this but what peice did you use to mount the button? The black one that clips into the hole.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts