ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey CR! I own a 97 with a burnt up transmission, so i've been hunting and found one out of a 2001 NB (5 speed). I know the bolt pattern is the same and i know that the speedo is controlled electronically. My question is about conversion....What will i need in order to make this transmission display my speed on my NA cluster?? I don't want to buy an older NA transmission and i want one NOW BECAUSE I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT DRIVING MY CAR!!! It pains me deeply to see her sitting in the driveway, anticipating her return to the road. Can anyone give me insight to fix this problem? Or does anyone know of any different speedometer "kits" that can be purchased?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Screw your speedomeeter gear out of your old transmission and replace the electronic unit of the new transmission with it. Easy as cake.

·
Supporting Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OKAY so your saying to actually take the gear out of the old one and put it into the NB transmission? Is it really that easy? Just screws right in? I've been looking at sending units and bullshit all day cuz i wasn't sure what to do! Have you done the same swap????

·
Supporting Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet! I'm pretty damn stoked now!! Can't wait to tear into her.. the only problem is i have to drive from louisville to Indianapolis in 4th gear to use my dad's lift!! Wish me luck!! Thanks for all the clarity!

·
Function > Form
1,311 Posts
Sweet! I'm pretty damn stoked now!! Can't wait to tear into her.. the only problem is i have to drive from louisville to Indianapolis in 4th gear to use my dad's lift!! Wish me luck!! Thanks for all the clarity!
It'll take you longer to drive than it will to do it with hand tools in the driveway. ;)

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Just pop out the electronic gear and substitute your earlier one...I have an NB trans in my '94 also..one bolt with a 10mm head...no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts