ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I took some pics this afternoon - If I'm honest the car handles very well in its current set up and I'm not sure the $550 investment in ground control coilovers would be money well spent simply to lower the rear of the car.

Well you only have two options with you want the car to not look 4x4

A) sell all the NB part(maybe minus the top hats) and get the NA parts so the car will sit like it should

B) keep the NB parts and swap to a different spring which are lower.. ie why everyone is telling you to get GC cause you can get them in any spring rate and you can lower the car to the exact high you want and if you wish even get the car corner balanced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Seats are Lotus Elise S1 and note the new Prototipo =D>

My preference would be to simply swap the springs for a set that would lower the car more than the current set up - Any recommendations? I'd considered Tein Springs or the 1st generation FM springs - Is is advisable to mix springs front to rear - As I am happy with the front ride height can I simply replace the rear springs and be done with that.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The suspension has been on the car nearly a year now so it should have settled by now I would have thought - I bought the set up from this car - apologies for the quality, but the ride height should be obvious from the pic - There must be something I can do to level things out or is there a fundemental difference between NB/NA suspension set up

Can this be clarified as I've coe across conflicting information elsewhere -

Is it;

Front - Long shock with short springs or long shock with short springs
Rear - Short shock with long springs or short shock with long springs

I have a sneaky feeling that my springs may be the wrong way round

Help!

·
Mufasa in Training
31,655 Posts
The Front shock is the longer one, but gets the shorter spring. It sounds crazy, but someone just corrected me on it recently. It's been awhile since I had my car's suspension apart!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The Front shock is the longer one, but gets the shorter spring. It sounds crazy, but someone just corrected me on it recently. It's been awhile since I had my car's suspension apart!
I guess the set on mine (1990) was correct. When I took it apart, I was confused why the rear springs were preloaded to hell whereas the front barely was--shorter spring was up front, longer spring was in the rear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think the issue could be that the springs have been fitted the wrong way round - The current set up has the long springs (with numerous unused coils) and the long shock fitted to the front and the shorter shock with the shorter springs fitted to the rear - My understanding is that the springs should be swapped around which may alter the ride height to a more aesthetically pleasing level.

I'll be taking it back to the garage that fitted them for me and hope no confrontation ensues.

:evil:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,655 Posts
Julien,

I'd be more worried that the shocks are reversed. Basically, the short shock should get the longer spring, and this should go on the rear. The longer shock with shorter spring should go up front.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After chatting with Keith at FM and doing some research I decided to cut the springs to remove 1 coil - results as follows

Before

After

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the tips there, but it measures 12.25" front 12.75" rear. Unless I'm mistaken that it significantly lower than stock.

:?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the tips there, but it measures 12.25" front 12.75" rear. Unless I'm mistaken that it significantly lower than stock.

:?
Hi there Punchdrunk!
I'm trying my luck to see if you are still around. I'm about to do the same you did on my Miata and since you have cut the springs I was wondering how the final result was. Were you happy with the suspension after that cut?

Thank you!

·
Registered
362 Posts
hey bub
idk if this dude is still around, but i may be of some assistance

from what i've seen when you put those stilts known as nb shocks on nas, you're going to be way high up

the lower you go as well, the more you run out of shock travel, you can try to rectify that by getting nb tophats (or really committing and getting extended ones), and cutting the bumpstops. you may have to take one for the team, and cut them to find out

maybe someone else who has done the same will chime in

·
Murse Magnet
7,219 Posts
I would contact flyin miata. Their suspension package way back when used to by kyb agx's with their springs. I vaguely remember that their springs have an extra dead coil at the bottom that can be cut off to lower by about an inch and it doesn't affect the springs themselves but contact them first. Also, I think this was the longest thread bump I have seen. Damn near 10 years.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts