ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am going to be swapping a 2002 NB motor and transmission into a 1994 NA. If anybody has any info on the swap that might help me it would be gladly appreciated. The search won't work on my phone so if there is already a thread about this could you please post a link. Thanks in advance

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
First, you should be able to find something along these lines at miata.net. check in the power mods and naturally aspirated sections. Think I saw something very closely related very recently.
In a broad overview, you can treat this swap as a basic engine replacement. You can continue to use your stock computer if you wish.
You'll need to use your original alternator, as the nb unit is controlled by the ecu and yours isn't. If you want to control the vvt, chat with the nice folks at diyautotune about their vvt controller. Not sure if you'll need to make adjustments for the fueling (nb's run at a higher fuel pressure). If nothing else, you can always get your existing injectors cleaned and flowed and use them.
You'll need to do some rewiring for the backup lights...one of the connections to the nb transmission.
Anything outside of those details I don't know. Wish I could be of more help!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great help so far, Thank you. If anybody knows of anything else I would appreciate it

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
What computer are you going to be using? The 94 ecu would be a waste of the vvt functions. 949racing has a car running exactly this setup. Check their blog. They might have some good info.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for the mean time i am going to be running the 94 ecu, i know it is a waste for the vvt function but i will be upgrading as soon as money permits. i have been talking to 949 about there set up so far, thanks for the advice. would you happen to have a good suggestion for ecu for this setup?

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
You can wait to see when 949 offers their modded Adaptronic 440. Savington and the folks at Trackspeed Engineering seem to have found success with the AEM units. The Hydra can run the vvt, too. You can also use megasquirt with an added vvt controller. Lots of options. You might see if your preferred tuning shop has a preference if you won't be doing the tuning yourself.

·
garageSTAR Supporter
1,248 Posts
Get a plug and play Mega squirt, and a vvt tuner. You can use the stock 94 harness, use your 94 alt, as mentioned above. The Aem units are less then easy to wire for vvt function. Theres is a member on norcalroadsters.com that did the aem combo, but he had some one else wire it in. And theres no full write up at the moment.

Im currently still doing research to make sure i have everything to tackle this swap. I have an 03 motor and will be putting it in a 91. I have the PNPMS and vvt tuner, the only thing id like to do is use the 03s COP set up, its far better the the 91 ign. system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts