ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pretty indifferent to the new NC, but I'll admit it has some nice angles:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm warming up to it. If I were in the market for a brand new roadster I would consider one. Problem for me is I'm poor and the new car doesn't do the classic roadster experience any better than my NA. I see you must have checked out royborg009's blog with the link to the carview NC review. Yoshida Yumi is hawt.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I sat in one at the dc auto show and put the top up and down, its alot roomier inside than an NA or NB. Im waiting to see what the aftermarket has to offer but I like it so far :)

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
when you say it has some nice angles, are you sure your referring to the NC or the jdm model? LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
I didn't like the look of the NC at first, but it's growing on me. And the laps at Zoomzoom live left a good impression. Can't wait til the Mazdaspeed model comes out.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Im more of a NA fan but this picture of a NC made me notice one that i liked.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,027 Posts
Two words that had me IN LOVE with the NC: Tilt Steering :D

Seriously, this was the first Miata I've ever sat in that did not require any modifications for me to fit in it in an "all-day drive comfortable" position. It's pretty difficult, as I'm a leggy 6'1" (if I had as torso height as most tall guys, I would be poking above the windshield header instead of being a good 2" below it). Having long legs is normally death in such a small car, but the NC fit me perfectly, though the pedal placement's still a little odd for heel-toes.

Overall, if I didn't have Junior, I'd buy one in a heartbeat (though the Stook is tempting as used prices come down). That said, with Junior becoming a non-comfy roadster and the very likely possibility of marriage in the near future, having something nice but fast to drive the lady around in would be nice :)

·
Mufasa in Training
33,027 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The first one I ever saw I went and test drove. My take?

-Too big
-Interior is ugly
-Brakes too touchy
-Ricey taillights
-Dual Exhaust? :roll:

Had pretty decent power, thats the only thing I really liked about it

I'm glad they don't officially call it a Miata anymore because it doesn't quite live up to the Miata moniker if you ask me...

·
Mufasa in Training
33,027 Posts
I view it as an evolution, not as much a direct clone. IMHO, the brakes are touchy, but you get used to it. If you haven't driven ABS or 2001+ big brakes, it will be a shock. I nearly stood the car on its nose the first few times I hit the brakes at Zoom Zoom Live! Chicago.

I'm not a fan of the dual exhaust, either, but at least the note is pretty good. I"m sure the aftermarket (Mazdaspeed, perhaps?) will offer competitive singles sooner or later. Mazdaspeed even addressed the ride height issue by making new springs (here's an NC owned by a friend of mine equipped with the springs).

Funny thing is, the NC really isn't that much bigger than either of its predecessors if you sit them right next to each other:

To be perfectly honest, I panned the NC pretty badly...that was before I got to sit and drive it! Would I want to race one? Nah...it really is a nice car, IMHO, with that said.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Too far from the original concept of the NA.
I much prefer the S2000 to the NC, which seems to be a more appropriate comparison.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't see all the pics that have been posted. But this is the one that made me like the NC. I have read rummers that the Mazdaspeed may look something like this one.

Attachments

·
Mufasa in Training
33,027 Posts
Too far from the original concept of the NA.
Honestly, it could get worse: remember that a retractable hardtop is rumored for 2007 :roll:

And if nothing else, compare the curb weights of the three generations: the NC, despite all the extra safety equipment (something the NA did not have to contend with, might I add) is only a few lbs heavier than the last NB, which isn't too bad for basically designing an entirely new car.

One thing that the car has going for it is that it actually fits taller drivers (at least tihs taller driver) without requiring major modification. We can't all be 5'7" after all (and I'm quite skinny at 6'1" 175 ;) ).

I still say it's lightyears behind the Stook. The engine and suspension are just not designed to compete in the same class...if nothing else, the NC seems to have orphaned itself with no real vehicle to compare validly except its forebearers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there this much love/hate'ism when the NB came out? I wouldn't know, as I was just graduating high school in '99 ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I went from a 97 to a 99 in 2000. I really liked the 99 at the time. Two kids later, I needed a family vehicle traded the 99 and bought a 92. Once I drove/raced and flogged the 1.6, it was all over. Since the 92, I have had a 91 and now my current 92 Silverstain.
I am a 1.6l snob now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts