ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NC1 grille can be recessed by 30mm!
I decided the grin on my 09 had to go and being in Oz, importing an aftermarket bumper is ridiculous (they start at $2k, plus paint).
So I got an 06 because I knew fit was guaranteed and I prefer the oval.
Then to get the classic look, I decided to recess the grill. I was hoping for 50mm but theres only room for 30mm.
It took a month, taping cardboard templates in, deciding on angles then a week of plastic welding.
The mounting points on the back of the honeycomb needed 30mm trimmed off and then reinforcing back on. Plus the contact points on the polystyrene needed needed shaving 30mm.
Then I made a new number plate holder and got new 4 character plates to keep the "interuption" on the front as small as possible.
The bolt covers on the grille got trimmed too but didn't make the pic here...

There's a bit of cleaning up to go but I'm stoked to say a recessed 06 grille is doable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks hot. Got any pictures from the back of what modifications were necessary?
Thanks, I started with a bumper cover from the wreckers, taped in cardboard templates till I got the shape and then welded the polypropylene onto the top of the 10mm lip the grille normally sits on.
The bottom of the grille has heaps of room back to the radiator, so the tricky part was to imagine the grille and crashbar contact area.
Plus I wanted to keep the polystyrene in place.
The crashbar is flat so I used the dining table to represent it.
I knew the polystyrene lay flat on the crashbar (its held in place by the grille).
Laying the polystyrene on the table and the grille on top of it told me:
  • where to cut 30mm out of the polystyrene;
  • that after I shortened the grille mounts by 30mm, the grille/crashbar contact areas (on the back of the honeycomb) had to be flat.
I reshaped the polystyrene and lay it on the table.
To understand the grille/crashbar contact areas, I'd rest the grille on top and could see how much of the outer curves needed trimming for it to sit flat on the crashbar.
The area below the contact points (the lower half below the crashbar) would hang over the table top.
Sorry if that sounds confusing but cutting 5mm off the back of the honeycomb keeps the crashbar contact area flat.
Thanks for your interest, here's the pics. The one I took looking down at the grill bolted to the crashbar is the moneyshot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts