ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am designing a new entertainment center for my living room and wanted to make it with a James Bond twist. I wanted to use a fingerprint or optical scanner to activate the entertainment center to transform it into a weapons display or bar using robotic actuators.

I have some nice firearms that I would like to display but don't want to leave them out when I am not around. And just in case of the zombie apocalypse, firepower is just a fingerprint away!

Anyone have any cool ideas I could incorporate into the design? I have always wanted some cool James Bond gadget.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have drawers open up and the handguns sitting in clear acrylic cut to fit. Some sort of led lighting would be cool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
it would be fairly easy to have something flip over or spin around and have guns in clear acrylic cases lite up by leds. just make sure you keep it locked with a key somehow this way only you can do it and no one else can get your guns

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I would start searching AV forums on how people build TVs that rise out of cabinets. Its pretty common and you could use all the same parts. Acrylic cases with acrylic cylinders used as pegs to hold everything with the case lit up with LEDS would be very cool. That way they look like display cases when they pop up.

Think this

+plus this

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas!

I have seen the TV lift kits, but for my purposes the move very slow, that's why I am considering the actuators. But great idea none the less!

The LED lights are a definate, maybe one of the million color kits will look cool.

I like the acrylic idea, although it will be very hard to change any guns, or modify them, if the acrylic is cut exactly for the specific gun. I was thinking something that would be more flexable, maybe like a pegboard system or shelving?

I am hoping the unit when done can hold around 25 guns of all sizes rifles/pistols/shotguns.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

I'll post up some pics when I start to build it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could also use foam to have the guns sitting in. That would give you the ability to change shapes easily and than the acrylic over that for a lid.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Stop by oznium.com for led lighting. They have a lot of stuff and ship super fast. I've used them for a few projects myself. Good customer service too. They've replaced some defective stuff before in the past very quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stop by oznium.com for led lighting. They have a lot of stuff and ship super fast. I've used them for a few projects myself. Good customer service too. They've replaced some defective stuff before in the past very quickly.

awesome that is just what I was looking for, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also use foam to have the guns sitting in. That would give you the ability to change shapes easily and than the acrylic over that for a lid.
hmmmmm...good idea, but not sure how the make whole foam insert thing work, plus I didn't want a cover over the guns for easy access.

What do you think of aluminum pegboard? That way it can be used for any variety of weapons.?

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
-Put in a Lazy Boy recliner
-Install a laser beam in the ceiling, aimed at the recliner, right between your legs at about knee level. Hook it up to a remote control.
-Whenever someone uses your recliner, activate the laser beam and do the "No Mr. Bond...I expect you to die" quote.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hmmmmm...good idea, but not sure how the make whole foam insert thing work, plus I didn't want a cover over the guns for easy access.

What do you think of aluminum pegboard? That way it can be used for any variety of weapons.?
I think the aluminum would look good. As far as quick access... If a gun neds to be grabbed quickly it needs to be by the bed ready to roll. Or I could just be a paranoid Marine with mags stashed through out his house...

·
Registered
380 Posts
do it like they did in resident evil, when alice opens the dresser drawer. Do it.... NO BALLS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-Put in a Lazy Boy recliner
-Install a laser beam in the ceiling, aimed at the recliner, right between your legs at about knee level. Hook it up to a remote control.
-Whenever someone uses your recliner, activate the laser beam and do the "No Mr. Bond...I expect you to die" quote.

XD epic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do it like they did in resident evil, when alice opens the dresser drawer. Do it.... NO BALLS

That is exactly the concept, although I am hoping to mount the guns vertically, so they are more of a display, kind of like this. Laying them flat in a drawer would solve some problems but doesnt offer much of a display.

I have already started the design in a 3d cad program and its coming out well. I also purchased the fingerprint scanner to control everything, and ordered the led lights yesterday.

I also think the brushed aluminum pegboard will look cool when set off with glow of the ledlights....opinions? Since I am still in the design phase I can incorporate any changes or new ideas, so keep those great ideas rolling in!

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
858 Posts
I also think the brushed aluminum pegboard will look cool when set off with glow of the ledlights....opinions? Since I am still in the design phase I can incorporate any changes or new ideas, so keep those great ideas rolling in!
I think the brushed aluminum can work. Some of it will obviously depend on the other elements of decor in the room. Do the silver metallics work with the other stuff in the room or is it more traditional wood-and-leather?

If it's more ultra-modern, you could consider a sheet of carbon fiber for the back of the vertical display (even if it's just a sheet of CF laid over a base of wood). Tons of other options; think: anything you can make a kitchen counter or floor out of (concrete, hardwood, bamboo, etc).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input Scrappy Jack

The outside of the unit will be more traditional with a dark cherry stain. I think the contrast between the dark outside with a bright shiny aluminum inside would really pop. I sure do love carbon fiber but for my purpose, it may be too dark and soak up the light from the led lights, where the aluminium would reflect it. Also black guns against carbon fiber might make them not stand out.

I also have to be concerned with weight, as the gun mounts will be in motion, the actuators can only move so much weight and do it quickly.

My main concern is that it will look cheap with the pegboard, like someones garage, but my options are limited....pegboard, slotboard, or acrylic shelves.

pegboard

slotboard

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
great idea

I have some magnets that will hold 65 pounds, I will mock up something tonight and see how they work.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts