ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've had my car with a racing beat header, FM midpipe, and roastersport3 exhaust for maybe 3 months now. I had it for a year without the header but that made it too loud in my opinion with the top up and for a dd. I know the racing beat, magnaflow, and cobalt axle backs are supposed to be quieter but it's impossible to tell from videos which of the three is the quietest. If anyone has experience with these in person that would be helpful. From what I have gathered though the cobalt is the quietest other than oem.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Racing Beat is definitely the quietest of the ones you mentioned and with a RB midpipe and muffler will probably be the quietest ots exhaust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The racing beat is quieter than the cobalt? Interesting. I heard a cobalt in person and it was almost like my stock 99 sport sounded

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Well to be honest I haven't heard the Cobalt in person so it may be as quiet as the RB, all other things equal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How does the FM system compare in that lineup for noise? I don't want loud but I want a nice sound. No droning or fart cans :)
Flyin Miata exhaust is perfect. My 2 favorite exhaust so far for miata is the jets kobe and Flyin Miata.

Great sound no drone, no rasp not a fart cannon.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
both RB and Cobalt are quiet and both sound damn good.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've been through a few exhausts and I adore the roadstersport 3. The burbles and pops on downshifts or decel are bliss; but, I can understand why you think it is too loud. There is also noticeable drone at freeway speeds.

Another favorite, yet rare, option is the 5zigen ProRacer A-spec. Quieter than stock at idle-3k rpm, but once you open it up, it let's out quite the rumble.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
get a Buddy Club....

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input and options on quieter pieces. And yes the high drone is the main problem because it's winter and with the top up it gives me a headache after a 40 minute highway stretch. I'm still keeping the rs3 for when the car is no longer a dd. In other news, the cobalt got here. It is almost the same weight as the rs3, only 1 lbs heavier. Right now I'm putting in a roll bar though so I'll throw it on when I finish that up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries. I actually had the packed silencer and the highway drone was still horrible with headers and midpipe. However the cobalt is in and at idle it sounds almost stock with a little burbble and at any cruising speed the drone is now gone. The weird thing is that past 3,5000 ,rpm when you put your foot into it it sounds just as loud but with a nice note. So I'd did the job and I still have all the fun pops and burbbles on deceleration and a great tone when flooring it but my winter cruising is much more livable now.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
roll bars making Miatas handle "better" or "nicer" are very miniscule. Btw Cobalt and FM ftw.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I had a similar experience with my nb1 with the Roadstersport3 exhaust and Raceland header. I went to a Racing Beat muffler and liked it more(had a better tone imo and quieter) than the RS3 but was still too loud with the RS3 midpipe.

I really like the guys at Goodwin Racing(Ryan and Sean are always very helpful) so I hate sharing this experience but obviously it had nothing to do with service, price or quality just personal preference. :)

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
If you're on a super-budget I got a Flowmaster 60 welded in place of my stock muffler on an otherwise totally stock exhaust. Slightly louder than a stock NA exhaust with no rasp and a very nice purr to it that turns into a great 4-cyl roar at WOT. Would probably sound even better with a good midpipe and header, but I doubt it flows much better than stuck so if you're looking for a HP bump I'd probably go with a racing beat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts