ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently just purchased a 2001 5speed miata with 100,000 miles. From past records clutch, flywheel was changed at 80,000miles.

Every gear shifts smoothly until the following happens:

Shifting from 1st to 2nd when i'm above 4000rpm I get grinding in the transmission during the shift.

When i'm shifting from 1st to 2nd below ~4000rpm then the shift is smooth with no grinding of the transmission.

Is this a transmission problem?? If so should I swap out the whole transmission with a low mileage one or get it repaired? Last question is am I able to directly swap a 6 speed transmission into a previous 5speed car? If yes then will I also need to swap the rear end out when installing the 6speed?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

:D :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah,

I already changed the transmission fluid(75w90), diff fluid(75w90), engine oil(5w30), all to mobil 1 synthetic.

Unfortunately the shifting grind from 1st to 2nd is still there. Maybe reduced slightly or it may be my imagination. #-o #-o

If i needed to change out the trans, then I might as well take this opportunity and save up for the 6 speed trans. What is everyone's take on that idea?

So is upgrading to a 6 speed going to be easy as a directly bolting it on?

Thanks

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
how is your clutch fluid? Slave Cylinder?

The 6 speed swap is cool, but remember that the overall gears are spaced the same, i.e., 80mph in a 6th in a 6 speed is the same as 80mph in 5th in a 5 speed.

It's almost a direct swap. Use 2 bolts for the starter instead of 3, and you need the 6 speed shifter and the reverse light switch needs to be modified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. =D> =D>

The brake fluid in the master cylinder and slave are the only fluids I haven't changed out since I got the car.

Slave is low and dirty when purchased. master was full and clean(i'm sure just topped off from previous owner before sale).

Waiting to schedule with a colleague of mine to help with brake fluid flush so I don't have to run around like a headless chicken when doing it by myself. Will change out the clutch fluid while i'm at it.

I am crossing my fingers, hoping that final fluid change will help with this grinding problem, but what do I know, I'm just a weekend warrior, DIY selfer.

RED thanks for the advice about the 5 to 6speed swap. Seems like it's not as functional as I thought it was going to be at high speeds. #-o

·
3,857 Posts
I bet that the 1st-2nd gear problem is due to worn syncros, and probably it won't get way better just after changing fluids.

If you want to get the 6 speed try to change the final gear...which will make the 6th speed even longer...ideal for freeway and for maximum speed :) (when you get a turbo or a supercharger).
I think there is a Mazda truck in Philippines, Australia or somewhere else outside of the US that people are getting the final gear and make the 6 speed a smart choice...

Otherwise IIRC the 6 speed versions were slower than the 5 speed in the 0-60!!!

Do a search in m.net because it has been discussed many times

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
how is your clutch fluid? Slave Cylinder?

The 6 speed swap is cool, but remember that the overall gears are spaced the same, i.e., 80mph in a 6th in a 6 speed is the same as 80mph in 5th in a 5 speed.

It's almost a direct swap. Use 2 bolts for the starter instead of 3, and you need the 6 speed shifter and the reverse light switch needs to be modified.
buzz, why does everyone say that?

6speed: 6th ratio
0.843:1

5speed: 5th ratio
0.814:1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,

Today I spent half a day with my ride. I was able to bleed out the clutch and fill with new synthetic fluid.

This did nothing for the 1st to 2nd gear grind as was eluded to by max power.

I guess I'm just going to beat the crap out of this 5speed and swap to another 5 or get a 6 speed depending on my budget at the time and availability.

One good thing today was I added oil to the turret and also installed an illuminated red ignited engine start button thanks to Adam Wolf and Bob Caruthers step by step write up I found online.

Loving it.

I am seriously bitten by the mod bug. Some one stop me!!

Thanks again everyone! =D> =D>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts