ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i sold my subaru to a guy in canada and he sent me a personal check for it and i tired to deposit it but living in mississippi and having a check from canada is damn near impossible to do anything with. so can anyone help me out with this? anyone delt with this kind of issue before?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I would only have accepted a bank check or, maybe have him western union the money. I certianly wouldnt take a personal check.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well he is not going to get the car till the check clears and i told him that. i thought he was going to send me a money order but i guess we were not on the same page.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
hmm. yeah, I'd want a cashier's check or cash. maybe if you take him to your bank with you with ID. have your bank and his talk maybe?

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
I wouldn't even do a cashiers check. Anyone can make a bank check with a little bit of help from Microsoft Publisher and a Lazer printer.
Get him to do a wire transfer to your bank. Talk to your local bank manager, they'll help you out.
We've had people in Atlanta sell their cars, receive a cashiers check, deposit the check, ship the car, and then 2 weeks later the bank tells them that the cashiers check was bad. :!:
Seller beware

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright cool thanks for the help guys i talked to him and he is going to wire me the money tomorrow! he seems like honest guy just never delt with this kind of problem before.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he offered to do that but i told him its not worth the risk of carring that much cash and trying to travel.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Hahaha. The last Canadian who sent me a personal check was tuned. I just deposited it because it wasn't that much money (not compared to a car) so I took the risk and figured we'd just ban him if the check bounced! It worked out just fine but noodle is right a seemingly good check could turn out to be fraudulent weeks or even months later and the bank will charge back the full amount. You're making the right choice doing the wire transfer. Banks do it all the time and it is secure. Just pay the transaction fee and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Don't trust escrow services you've never heard of before or electronic gold because those are most likely scams, too.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Not sure about Mississippi banks, but when I was with 1st Alabama, which I thought was a pretty siginficant regional bank, the staff got into a tizzie when I wanted to wire money from my account to my UK account in the Isle of Man. I gave up, and just mailed my bank manager a personal cheque, and asked him to pay it in for me. Worked perfectly.

Its probably much the same the other way around; US banks seem a bit incapable when it comes to making international money transfers.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i bank with wachovia (only nation wide bank here) so i figured it would be cool. #-o anyways the morral of the story dont live in mississippi and try to take a personal check from canada.

we need something like the euro here so we dont have to deal with bullshit like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts