ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh my car crap out again =D> I had misfire/cyl down problem week ago b/c of bad spark plug(so I thought)..it was fixed for a while.. and problem is back! I still think its ignition problem and trying to eliminate one at a time. I think it might be the coilpack, so I need ur help guys...anybody with 1.8l engine, if I can swap out your coilpack for 5min or so...I will be very appreciate it. I'm in Huntington Beach, CA...anyone near by? :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ahhh my car crap out again =D> I had misfire/cyl down problem week ago b/c of bad spark plug(so I thought)..it was fixed for a while.. and problem is back! I still think its ignition problem and trying to eliminate one at a time. I think it might be the coilpack, so I need ur help guys...anybody with 1.8l engine, if I can swap out your coilpack for 5min or so...I will be very appreciate it. I'm in Huntington Beach, CA...anyone near by? :D
Then just flip the connectors and plug wires between the two coil packs you already have under the hood. If the other two cylinders start misfiring - then the problem is the coil pack ...

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
check your plug gap??? that ended up being a problem for me once. car was fine then started breaking up... turned out the gap was too big.

But if you need to use a coil pack, i'll drive over and let you check mine lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check your plug gap??? that ended up being a problem for me once. car was fine then started breaking up... turned out the gap was too big.

But if you need to use a coil pack, i'll drive over and let you check mine lol
Good point, didn't check the gaps on the plugs #-o
Its too bad my cars drivable limit is 15mile radius from my house :mrgreen: anything further, damn thing dies on me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Be careful you have a 1995 miata in 95 the OBD1 and OBD2 split happened in that year. And the coils are different, let me see if I can find a link that has the VIN number ID for the OBD2 stuff.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The VIN for the OBD2 switch is 14193 (pulled fron spec miataforum). Off the top of my head I would say if you can't find someone with a spare one, try to see if you can read up in the factory manual on how to test the one you have. If you don't have a factory manual look online. There is one site that has all of the factory manuals hosted. If that doesn't work go to the library and register for the online library (they actually have all factory car manuals on there).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be careful you have a 1995 miata in 95 the OBD1 and OBD2 split happened in that year. And the coils are different, let me see if I can find a link that has the VIN number ID for the OBD2 stuff.
Really? I thought OBD II happened 96 cars and so on... I guess some cars could be built in late 95, but they should been sold as 96 model. Anywho, I didn't know the coils are different though... I had coilpack problem before, and switch out with one from 97 and it did the job.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Chris-

I should have a spare as well. Hit me up if you want to try it.

You might want to check the coil wiring all the way back to the ecu. I had a a ecu pin back out just this last weekend which made 1 of the coil packs inactive.

Matt

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
99 and above cars have 4pin connectors and 94-97 have 3 pin connectors...so 94-97 coilpack will not work with 99-01 cars ,but 99-01 coilpack will work with any NA8C.

Good news, Bill and I got the car fixed! It wasn't the coilpack, CAS, Fuel system, nor any ignition stuff... I'm so stupid... two of the wires from ECU were striped and exposed to non-carpet floor #-o ,so dumb...I check the wires before too! but missed it. Bill with his eagle found it! =D>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts