ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A friend of mine and I were brainstorming FSAE car ideas on how to save weight, and we stumbled upon this:

We're not exactly sure what the part is called (it's a spindle with a bearing inside of it, instead of having a rod stick out.).

Anyone have a clue what it's called?

·
Registered
930 Posts
its just an upright with a rotating spindle. think rear suspension setup without the axle going into it. i wonder how much weight would be saved with a setup like that for the non drive wheels.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It might not be for weight, its probably a pretty even trade off in the long run of things. You can though get a longer bearing tolerance inside the upright because of the larger surface area. This can help you run either bigger bearings or multiple bearing to distribute the force that the spindles and uprights see. Should in theory last much longer this way.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank guys. hmm... it seems like my roommate IS doing it for the weight, as they have approximately the same structural integrity as a normal spindle.

We found from doing stress analysis tests that around a 3" (aluminum) shaft was needed for his design.. anything smaller in diameter had too little of a safety margin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts