ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just purchased my first house in March and I am looking to buy a new daily driver within the next 2 months. I currently daily a 96 vw jetta, it has 15x,xxx on it. It is very boring and slow. I plan on keeping my two current miatas. My problem here is that I am having the hardest time picking something to replace my daily. Here is what I am looking for in the car.

1. Something that is fun to drive. Something that can be driven aggressively on curvy roads. Something has enough power to pass people on the highway. **This is an absolute must**
2. Something that has cargo capacity.
3. No brand new cars, something like 2000 - 2004 w/no more than 45k on the clock. Price range 17k and under.
4. Something that is not going to be ridiculous to insure.
5. Something that gets decent gas mileage.
6. Something that is performance driven and is reliable.

I really wanted an RX-8. It can sit 4, you get from 14k to 18k used here in CT. They are supposed to be extremely well balanced and very nimble. I love the look of them. They are decently fast for a daily driver. However, I have read that they have nothing but problems, cargo space is barely enough, and that they get horrible gas mileage. So I scratched that.

I have consisdered a Mazdaspeed Protege. Its a mazda +1. Its turbo from the factory. I heard that they are well balanced for a front wheel drive car. I have heard however that they cannot hold that much power over stock. It gets good gas mileage. I heard they are not very fast stock. But not as practical as say a WRX wagon.

Lastly the WRX Wagon. This is what I am leaning towards the most. I only like the 02-03 body style. They are decently fast stock. They seem to be fairly reliable. I know they can hold almost 300 hp to the wheels relaibly (Which is plenty fast) Its awd, which is great for new england winters. It gets decent gas mileage. It has plenty of cargo for being a wagon. It has a roof rack that I can strap sheet rock, plywood, etc. to. I dont think insurance is ridiculous. I can find a used one for 12-16k. On top of that its a AWD turbo station wagon, and thats just freakin bad ass.

So this has been my thought process so far. I was wondering what your guys thoughts of these cars and/or any other cars that you think would be good based on what I have mentioned.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The Subaru is probably the best of the three. I have always like the early 2000's Nissan Maximas, good power, space and reliability.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
+1 for the rex wagon...unless you wanna go full balla status with this...little over your price limit, but i know its what i'd be looking for, for the money you are looking to spend

*edit* sorry 'bout that long ass URL :|
*edit 2.0* link gone =D>

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an MX3 just so I can have one focus when it comes to a car.. you know like a hardtop miata basically. The cool part is you can swap a 323 GTX turbo motor into an MX3 easily! :)
Just a thought.. there's one on CL here in Phx I'm going to look at.. 1.8 v6. haha

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd go with the WRX there way fun!!

I've been kicking around my lux car replacement and the BMW was on my list the but I really didn't like the 540 Sedan. I kindof like the 00-02 740i Sport's but its way big!!

I made the mistake of driving the STS-V while my CTS was in for some warranty work on Wednesday. I had a grin from ear to ear after driving it. Thank god I have 12 more payment on my lease! Or I'd be 50k in debt.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also considering a 328i or a 540i bmw, but after reading up on the bimmer forums about all the stuff that breaks on them I scratched them from my list.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i'm on a waiting list for a brand new honda fit. i think after TTL, it'll come out to ~17k. :)

i was looking at the protege & protege5 too though. too bad the protege5 didnt come in mazdaspeed trim. in the end, the fit is so cheap that it doesn't make sense to buy a used car anymore. at least for me. and i'm usually all for buying used and not new.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
-WRX Sedan/Wagon
-Mk IV Golf/Jetta. 1.8T or VR6. You can get a 4-door Golf or a Jetta Wagon even.
-IS 300 maybe?
-Mercedes C230 Kompressor Sport with 6-spd. They're rather slow, however.
-SRT-4 Neon (don't say anything about reliability. Neons can be extremely reliable cars, you just have to take care of them like any other car)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts