ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Rev9 LED Porter tail lamps (https://rev9autosport.com/rev9-led-porter-tail-lamps.html) I've talked with them a couple times and I don't know if they don't understand what I'm asking for or if they don't have the answer so I'm turning to you guys for help

What wires plug into the stock wire harness or do you know what they power/used for

Stock wires
Green
Black
Red
Red/Green
Green/Black

LED Light
Red
Blue
Yellow
Black

Also i can assume the resistor just get spliced into the turn signal so it doesn't blink really fast

I know this is probably really easy and im over think it. Just want to make sure im doing it right thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Do what I did when I installed my GV tails with custom lights.

Cut the entire harness. Strip each wire to expose half an inch of copper.

Use a random test light...could be the LED tails themselves.

Keep the ground wire of your test light connected to the ground of the harness.

Then just attach the power to each wire. Perform a function (flip the blinker, turn on the tails, use the brake) and just see what happens. Label each wire. Good to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That why i would like to know what each color of the stock plug is for so i can test them. What do you mean it could be rhe LEDs themselves

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
From the pic you provided which I assume Rev9 includes as instructions I would say the wiring for the LED is as follows:
T/yellow=turnsignal
B/red=brake
P/blue=parking
G/black=ground

As far as the oem harness I personally wouldn't cut it(you could use the pigtails from the oem taillights to cut and wire the LEDs into, then it is pnp and if you go back to stock taillights you just need the pigtails) but test as miatapasta suggests or Google, the answer is out there. :haiguyths:

·
Administrator
15,205 Posts
That why i would like to know what each color of the stock plug is for so i can test them. What do you mean it could be rhe LEDs themselves
You could use the LEDs provided, to test which wire does what.

Or, i'm sure there's an FSM or two uploaded for your car that would have the wiring diagram.

Or even easier, just remove the backing plate from your stock lights and see which color wires go to which bulbs. Then match to new lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it appears the LED lights dont work. Ugh why would that be? i have another set of lights that i double checked it with and they work when plugged in. Any ideas?

I have a resistor what does that need to go to?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i hooked up the LED light directly to the a power source and they light up. I then tried to get the same result with my stock plug, nothing. Do i need to do something with the resistor? splice between to wires or s that just for the blinkers?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Literally took me less than two minutes to find:
Oem na taillight wires-
Taillight ..... red/black
Stoplight ..... green
Right Turn .... green/white
Left Turn ..... green/black
Backup ........ red/green
Ground ........ car's metal body
https://www.miata.net/garage/trailerlights.html

I'd still CONFIRM with a multi meter.

So to REALLY break it down:
Oem wires......................Rev9 LEDs
Tail-red/black............to...........Blue
Stop-green.................to...........Red
Right turn-green/white....to....Yellow
Left turn-green/black......to....Yellow
Ground/body..................to......Black

·
This is a long user title
3,202 Posts
Literally took me less than two minutes to find:
Oem na taillight wires-
Taillight ..... red/black
Stoplight ..... green
Right Turn .... green/white
Left Turn ..... green/black
Backup ........ red/green
Ground ........ car's metal body
https://www.miata.net/garage/trailerlights.html

I'd still CONFIRM with a multi meter.
Thanks man!

Sorry OP you're having so much trouble with this.

You don't have to splice any wires besides the resistors. Our LED's come with a spade connector and they plug straight to the OEM harness. Looks like GreaseMonkey found you the wiring diagram already. We don't provide extensive instructions on these since we think they are self explanatory.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i plugged those just as you laid out above and nothing. I used the ground at the truck used for the rear lights. WTF am i doing wrong .

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Are you sending power to the wires...?

Taillight won't turn on if the switch isn't flipped...
I didn't want to be the first to go there....:smile1:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used a test light and i have power to the plugs and to the back of the led panels. So it has to be a ground right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts