ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bare with me for a minute I have been day dreaming.

I have always liked things that are clean and simple...old school roadsters like the AH sprite and 3000, datsun 1600's and 2000's and honda s800's in particular and the original Mini Coopers

Back in the day weight was the enemy of the sports car and roadsters were not about all out horsepower and wild turbos. So here is my question and remember I am open to honest opinions

What do you guys and the few girls on here think about carburetors? I know you will never get as much power as fuel injection, but think about all the weight you would shed by ditching all that heavy wiring. IRTB's are cool and all but dont quite have the sound of a nicely tuned set of webbers.
There will be tuning yes, and constant tinkering, but I dont mind doing adjustments everyweek.

How hard would it be?
I think I remember reading that Jimmy's ITB's used a compatible manifold with webbers...so that would help in mounting them right? Correct me if I am wrong, which I am sure you will.
What kinda of functions would be lost with the ECU gone...despite the obvious?
Would I need to get all new gauges?
No more emissions crap, I live in Florida so thats not a problem.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
Carb'd Miata's have been sold in Japan for racing so the parts and technolgy is there to do it with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Skinny
Look here

http://www.clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667&highlight=

for a source for NA and NB manifolds. I have the one for the NA and have my Weber side-drafts on the way. It is not considered sensible by many and considered an emotional mod by most, but I do intend to do it. I will still use the ECU for spark and will have to use something to make it (the ECU) think that I still am running the standard intake. That is where most of the hot debates come in. Try searching on this and Miata.net with words like Mikuni, Solex, Weber, etc. You will find some info but not many who have done it successfully and written about it.
Best always
Alden

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The only issue with carbs on a NB would be the returnless fuel system that may need modification. It's definitely doable if you don't need to worry about emissions compliance. I think its very cool and can be an economical alternative to IRTBs. Most of all have fun with it and report back. Worst case scenario is that you decide to reinstall the oem fuel injection and sell the manifold and carbs for 75% of what you paid for them (for some reason these parts hold their value well compared to other aftermarket tuning parts). Don't forget to install a good fire extinguisher just in case.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, if you still drive yours all year I am in the same boat. As far as practicality, if I wanted a practical car I wouldnt have bought a miata for a daily driver whilst living in central michigan. Never had a car with more then two seats. So that shouldnt be an issue for me.

I'll have to find some more research as I was planning on ditching as much electrics as I can. If the V8 guys with their hot rods can have a simple clean minimalist engine, I am determined to have the same with an inline 4.

Nice looking manifold though, keep me posted on your install.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have seen weber carbs on a miata in the "Mazda Miata Performance Handbook" by Norman H Garrett

just 1 page on this subject, but it includes an electonic circuit for changing the output of either a tps, or a map sensor, to emulate the maf. allows you to get a stock 90 ecm to run with webers. also includes weber jet starting points.

the problem with later ecu's is that they are more difficult to fool into thinking things are ok, when you're trying to remove things..

the v8 guys use distributors on their minimalist systems. I don't think you would get a distributor to fit in a miata....

as I see it the minimum system using carbs would include:
ecu of some type to control ignition (megasquirt?)
3 input sensors: coolant temp sensor,CAS,MAP
4 output devices: 2 coils, fan relay, fuel pump relay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts