ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my graduation present my parents offered to help me buy a set of coilovers. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was thinking Teins of some sort but I was wondering if there was another brand you guys would recommend to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! 8)

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
i heard the JIC's are nice.
Rob from rd.com is almost done with the Stance coilovers, those will run pretty cheap. i think he said $1,195 shipped.

OR, since your parents are getting them for you, try to get some ohlins or the aragosta. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, money is sort of an object here because I don't want to spend TOO much money. I want to spend around $1000 max. I don't mind going over a few hundred but that's about as high as I will go. :lol:

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
There are those that love TEIN on this board and those that don't. I'm one that does. Both of my Miatas have them. I'd suggest the FLEX. Nice little kit if you can stretch your dollars a bit. But for your $1000, the SS is also a very nice kit.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
$1000 won't buy you much as far as quality coilovers go. But I think the first thing I'd want to know before making a recommendation is what you use the car for.

If you don't track it, and aren't going to pay to have it corner balanced, your money would be better spent on a set of nice springs a a quality damper.

That being said, I am interested to get my hands on a miata wiith buddy clubs on it. They are relatively cheap, and an S2000 I tuned recently with a set of them suprised me. They had more flexible damper adjustment that I thought they would have.

If I were you, I'd ask for people who reply to state if they actually have experience with the coilover they are recommending. Many of these types of threads turn into popularity contests based on nothing but rumor and not personal experience.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt, thanks for the advice. I plan on autocrossing my car and MAYBE take it out drifting once in a while.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
anytime Brian.

You're local. If you ever wanted to get together and look at the options, I'm happy to talk to you about them. There is a lot more to suspension tuning that just slapping on coilovers or a set of shocks and springs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you want a comfortable ride get tein flex. if you want it even more comfortable than that you can take off the rear sway bar with stock spring rates. this set up makes you wanna full throttle almost everytime you get out of the turn. and very easy to drive.

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
Brian and I have been talking about Tein setups, since i can get 20% off list price

Are the Basics ok if i plan on doing mostly just street driving?

i know they're softer than the SS, and the FLEX are the really good ones, but i dont want to spend a whole lot, and autocrossing/tracking isnt going to fit into my work schedule/budget.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Im in the same boat. I never go to the track or autox, but I still want a good height adjustable suspension for the street... Im thinking basics..

·
4,296 Posts
about the Tein Basics
whats the spring rate on the basics?
and are they rebuildable?
and if they are are they worth a rebuild,or do they just get tossed?
if they are rebuildable, can you request a stiffer spring with matched damping?
i would go with those,but want a more aggressive spring rate. i dont need damping adjustability.
or im waiting for the Stance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
anyone ever used the megan racing coilovers? They may be a decent "cheap" alternative. But I have no experience with them.

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
the rate on the tein basics are 7kg front, 6kg rear.

i think i may go with the basics since im trying to get the slammed look and i dont have the patience, know how, or need to have a great suspension setup.

i already drive way too fast with my ill aligned busted ass stock suspenion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

i think i may go with the basics since im trying to get the slammed look and i dont have the patience, know how, or need to have a great suspension setup.

you don't want to drop it any more than 1.5 in. after that speed bumps become you enemy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

if all the above is true, then why spend the money? just cut your stock springs...

:roll:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
7 and 6 is stiffer than I thought for the basics. I'm still looking for some coils... recently I was just thinking of getting some shocks/springs but I do want easier ride-height adjustability.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts