ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, need some new window switches for my dad's Miata so it's time to upgrade...but nobody seems to have the Neilex windows switches! #-o

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Sweet!!!

Leni, put me down for a set, please!

Do you also have the hazard/pop-up switch? I want one of those too!

·
CR.net Supporter
555 Posts
I just received a notice from Nielex. Sorry to inform you that the power wiindow switch is no longer in production. No existing stock on hand since you (that's me) purchased remaining units months ago. We have focused production torwards NC parts.

Another example of a choice JDM part falling to the wayside.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Booo! that's so sad.

Leni, any chance of convincing them to do a small run for us? it sounds like there's interest in at least 3 sets right here.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
DAMN! :x

Leni,
I just ordered the Nielex center switch from your website! I don't wanna take any chances of them not being available!

·
1,213 Posts
I just received a notice from Nielex. Sorry to inform you that the power wiindow switch is no longer in production. No existing stock on hand since you (that's me) purchased remaining units months ago. We have focused production torwards NC parts.

man, that's a shame :cry:

glad I got my hazzard and window set a while back plus 5 additional matching toggle switches to complete my custom retro radio console :)

Nielex stuff is really topquality, I don't see why they couldn't still produce the NA stuff given the pretty small product range they produce and the polularity/existing numbers of NA's still in circulation !!?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
it'd be cool if you could post a write up on how you do it. That sounds like a great solution, but i have no idea where to begin.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
It's super simple.

Materials needed:

Blank Wallplate
Dremel
Toggle switches of choice (one normal 2-position and one 2-position with common ground)
Crimp-on male quick-disconnects (try to get the narrow kind, if you can, otherwise I have a way around that)
Wire

First thing's first, take off the center console piece. You'll need to pop out the two air vents and remove the screws at the top, and take out the others along the bottom outside edge. Once you have that popped out, you'll need to remove the factory switch. It just screws into the back of the center piece. Leave it connected to the harness for now, we'll get to wiring in a little bit.

With the center console piece off, grab a sheet of paper. Where the stock switch is there's a raised outline around the button holes. take a pencil or crayon and make a rubbing of that area. This will let you know how big to make your blanking piece. Once you have the rubbing, cut it out and double check to be sure it nests nicely in the stock button location. if it does, trace that onto the blank wall plate. Also rub out where the stock holes are, this will help center the new switches.

Now it's time to whip out the trusty Dremel. If you don't have one, I suggest getting one. It's an invaluable piece of machinery that will come to use time and time again, especially if you're the DIY type (like me :mrgreen: ) With your outline traced onto the wallplate carefully cut along the INSIDE of your line. Once it's cut out, give it a quick test-fit. Trim it down if necessary so that it fits nice and snug inside the raised outline. Now go back to your template and find the center points of the stock switch holes. Mark on your metal piece where the verticle center line is and horizontal center line for each stock hole.

Before you drill holes for the switches to go through, make sure that they won't interfere with each other on the back side of the plate. If they don't, go ahead and drill, if they do, then fudge them apart using the center lines as reference points to be sure they line up.

Now drill away and test fit the switches. Next, take your center console piece, place the blank plate on the front and put a switch through the hole. The size of the "box" on the back of the switch should be too big to go through the stock button hole. This will hold everything in place. Do the same for the other switch.

Wiring! Almost done :) I don't remember how the wiring scheme was layed out, so do a little experimenting and figure out which connections make stuff work :lol: Don't worry about some of hte connections, they go to the small lights inside the stock buttons, so just leave them alone. Use the 2-position switch for the hazards, and the 3-position for the headlight motor button. They make 2-position switches that use a common ground, but I couldn't find one that wasn't a momentary style in time (my button springs broke so I had to use what was readily available from auto zone :roll: ). Anywho, get out your connectors and get to crimping. Once everything's on there nice and tight shove the connector into the stock plug.

If you weren't able to find the skinny male quick disconnects, just take your dremel and cut the flat portion in half (down to the little hole near the center). This will be small enough to fit in the stock plug slots.

Test and be sure that everything works right, and then reassemble everything! That's it! You're done! :D

I had most of this stuff already laying around, but if you had to buy everything on the list (dremel included) the parts total would be around $65, otherwise, it'd be under $20.

Here's a good view of it from when I was putting in my roll bar:

I used a nifty red safety toggle for the hazards and a standard silver toggle for the headlights. I always get people asking me what it's for so I flick it on and they start laughing when the hazards start blinking :lol:

If you need any clarification of any of this, feel free to PM or IM me.

<3 Foo

PS: Apologies to all the JDM bretheren selling the real deal, hope I don't cut into your sales #-o

·
Banned
8,938 Posts

Leni, what if we did a group buy to get more? Would he make a limited edition run of say 5 - 10 sets of the power window switches for the members here?

Good thing Tim, You just purchased the last of the center switches.

WOW! I got lucky on that one!

Once again Tim has beat me to the JDM punch :shock: #-o , 1st Nakamae, now Nielex.............

·
1,213 Posts
I have spoken to a couple of parts shops in Japan including Drophead and they to seem to be out of the Nielex switch parts !

I hope they get their supplieres sorted out soon as a lot of people are after these items at the moment

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Whats the name of the switch type I should use if I want to just get my own switches for the windows?

I want to say momentary switch but I dont know enough about it and it could be just my brain messing with me.

I gotta come up with something for the barchetta console!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts