ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 miata. its a beater but i love it too much to get rid of. i hope to do some body work with it over time and make it look a bit nicer.

engine has over 200,000 miles :|
i can tell the engine is really weak and might be starting to go.
how much would it cost to get a new 1.6 engine?
or used if i can find one?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm also interested in info. I just hit 200k a couple of days ago and would like a younger engine. I'm interested in the 1.8 though.

theres a craigslist ad from some guys in chino or something, its a bunch of korean dudes who race spec miata. i bought some low pro brainstorms of them. they will sell you a rebuilt NA8 block for like 500 and install for like $400. thats pretty cheap if you ask me for full service. idk about warranty or anything but they had a great shop and being local it wouldn't be easy for them to continue business by screwing people over. give it a look if you can navigate craigslist well

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Better off putting the $ in another miata.
Stop posting till you read more.

OP, if you want to keep your car and you have the means of swapping an engine, go pick up a longblock for $300 and just dump it in. No fuss. Otherwise if you want a bit more power you can grab a 1.8 and the FM swap kit for a couple more bucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
thanks for the info guys, really helpful
I have a question though, If i get a compression and leak down test and it turns out normal, Would it be worth to buy a new motor? or would that prove that my engine still has a lot of life still left in it.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
thanks for the info guys, really helpful
I have a question though, If i get a compression and leak down test and it turns out normal, Would it be worth to buy a new motor? or would that prove that my engine still has a lot of life still left in it.
Probably not, just run it till it blows. 200k+ isn't unheard of with the b6/bp

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Im not sure if it was luck but Alex from 2nd chance roadster( forum sponsor) was able to give me a 60k engine that was imported frm japan for 550$. It was a 1.8 too. My engine started giving me problems at about 160k and i opted to swap it myself. Wasn't too hard but you need the right tools to get the job done. Its worth a shot if your in the LA area to atleast ask 2nd Chance roadster if he has anything.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lots of useful info above but to the two people considering motors since you have 200k... Don't jump the gun yet. I have a 200k-ish 1.6L and it runs strong with regular maintenance. These things last if you take care of them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
how much did they charge for install?
all together after installing a used motor I brought them but turned out to have low compression (still have by the way and is for sale) so they removed it then I purchased one of theres and then installed with my fm swap kit was like 1300 If I recall. They also threw in some hardtop side latches along with misc. hardware and other minor parts not to mention they installed my new flywheel and clutch. look them up...there super chill.

·
Registered
656 Posts
all together after installing a used motor I brought them but turned out to have low compression (still have by the way and is for sale) so they removed it then I purchased one of theres and then installed with my fm swap kit was like 1300 If I recall. They also threw in some hardtop side latches along with misc. hardware and other minor parts not to mention they installed my new flywheel and clutch. look them up...there super chill.
not bad at all, install+engine+flywheel+clutch= $1300? ill definitely get that deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts