ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I won't forget how our government fucked up and left everyone high and dry.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
are you guys talking about the same disaster?

fwiw, i'm not sure hollywood is going to let us forget for a looong time...

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
from what ive heard, today's anniversary has certainly brought about lots of mainstream media exploitation of the event.

Im not trying to downplay how tragic 9/11 was, but the morning radio show I listen to is based in NY, and was broadcasting in NY when 9/11 happened. They sounded quite livid about how no matter what news channel you turned to, oh look, theres the twin towers burning again. Its ok to mourn but it shouldnt have to be everywhere you look.

Why dont they show us a picture of Osama Bin Laden and maybe GW can fill us in as to why he has not been found yet?

IMO we should also be mourning the lost soldiers on this "war on terror".

·
Registered
116 Posts
godbles those lost in the tragedy.

as far as finding osama, its called politics.

we can count the gray hairs on someones scalp from a satelite above earth, and you think they don't have a clue where osama is hanging out?

i have a high ranking marine friend who spent some quite some time in afghanistan and let me in on a little more than he should have.

*waiting for this thread to be locked for being "off topic"*

·
Registered
343 Posts
I won't forget how our government fucked up and left everyone high and dry.
explain.. and if you were in charge of our country (god help us all), what would you have done differently??

Its so easy to point fingers after the fact... hindsights 20/20

·
4,436 Posts
from what ive heard, today's anniversary has certainly brought about lots of mainstream media exploitation of the event.

Im not trying to downplay how tragic 9/11 was, but the morning radio show I listen to is based in NY, and was broadcasting in NY when 9/11 happened. They sounded quite livid about how no matter what news channel you turned to, oh look, theres the twin towers burning again. Its ok to mourn but it shouldnt have to be everywhere you look.

Why dont they show us a picture of Osama Bin Laden and maybe GW can fill us in as to why he has not been found yet?

IMO we should also be mourning the lost soldiers on this "war on terror".
Boogie - excellent points and in ATL there was one station playing the events in real time and now I am super sad and yet proud at the same time.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
interesting show Im listening to now (ron and fez on xm202), 9/11 remembered, just taking calls and looking back on the events, and just discussing things that happened and how people felt, how other areas of the country and world reacted or didnt react.

some NY callers said they cant bring themselves to even turn on the tv today.

Its was one thing to wake up and see the towers fall on tv, but to hear from these people that were actually there....its something I dont think anyone else can understand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The media is shameless. They sensationalize a national tragedy all the while claiming to not be.

not to jack the thread, but OBL is not as important as he once was. I'm not going to go much deeper into it but I'll say that as MI you realize OBL is only one of many, a drop in the bucket. There are far, far many more fish to fry.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
not to jack the thread, but OBL is not as important as he once was. I'm not going to go much deeper into it but I'll say that as MI you realize OBL is only one of many, a drop in the bucket. There are far, far many more fish to fry.
I understand. I suppose at the time it was comforting to have a "target" that a nation can put all their hatred toward.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's important to get him for symbolic reasons, just to be clear, but he's been neutralized for the most part.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
My younger brother is serving; 3 tours so far in Iraq. I reckon he'll get Afghanistan soon. He calls it T.W.A.T. The War Against Terror.

A good friend of mine in the US, in the reserves, is actually trying to get deployed to Iraq.

Remember, it took 60 years before we were finally sure Hitler died in the Bunker..... Even now, old Nazis are still being rounded up and put on trial.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
It's important to get him for symbolic reasons, just to be clear, but he's been neutralized for the most part.
Good point. Nothing quite like catching the man that the media portrayed as a "head honcho" to bring closure to the war on terror. In time, in time...It doesnt look like we are quite ready to wrap things up yet.

On another note my buddies wife just went back to Iraq a few weeks ago.

Anyways for those that have served in the army/navy/airforce, etcc... Thanks =D>

It wasnt that long ago that I was too quick to say "wtf are we going to war for?" and finding it easy to criticize the actions of our government.

personally I think Ive grown up alot since then.

a favorite quote of mine, not sure where I found it...

"Never hold strong opinions about things you dont understand."

Also, no offense, but I got $10 that says Katrina doesnt get the same amount of coverage as this on its 5 year anniversary.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
No, but Im also of the opinion that its not such a good idea to populate an area thats always been BELOW SEA LEVEL!

Im sorry, I think we're getting a lil off topic.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
The invasion of Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. It was just a small group of people borrowing the anger of the american public to further their own narrow agenda.

A pointless war in search of a justification. A quote I saw today: "War is the answer, even when you forget the question."

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
NPR has the best coverage of the anniversary, imho. Throughout the day, they're interviewing citizens across the country on how they experienced that day (9/11/01) while still having their regularly scheduled programs. The comments ranged from insightful to an absolute tear jerkers.

Not to promote NPR, but I've tuned into the other media broadcasts, and NPR has to be the most tasteful.

Politics aside, the event of the day barely even tickled my everyday life other than the fact that I have more political and religious discussions with my peer groups over the years. And they I am thankful for. Open conversations of this sort were rather rare for my generation (but even 5 years after the events, they STILL are rare).

Condolences again to the victims of the attacks.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
No, but Im also of the opinion that its not such a good idea to populate an area thats always been BELOW SEA LEVEL!

Im sorry, I think we're getting a lil off topic.
Yeah, how come people want to live in one of the nation's busiest ports and in a city that has a long-standing history.

Also, it's hard to move when you're poor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts