ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been busy at Blackbird Fabworx.
The NC crowd has been asking for a long time for an SCCA legal roll bar that fits under the soft top.
For a long time we wrote the concept off, but with the recent release of the ND RZ roll bar it became clear that our design details can be reused to design a new soft top compatible roll bar for the NC chassis.

What's the big deal, you ask?
It's a huge deal.
In 9 years of the model run there has been exactly 0 roll bars that achieved that.
Yes, you read that right, there are no NC roll bars that are SCCA legal and soft top compatible.. in fact, there's only 1 NC roll bar that is SCCA legal at all and we make that one too, our NC GT3 -

To familiarize yourself with the concept of our RZ bar, here are the key features of the ND RZ that are applicable to the NC chassis -

* Allows full use of the factory soft top which can be lowered from the driver's seat.
* SCCA Legal. Not kinda legal, not almost legal, not "hopefully you can sneak it by tech" legal. 100% SCCA LEGAL.
* Taller than OEM hoop structure.
* DOM Steel construction with full X brace and a harness bar as standard.
* Factory seat travel and recline retained in full.
* Allows all plastic and carpet trim panels to be reinstalled (with minor trimming).
* High grade hardware kit included.
* High quality powder coat finish included, many custom colors will be available for just $80 additional fee.
* Minimal weight gain in comparison with the OEM hoop structure it replaces, with the ND we were able to get it to about 26 Lbs gain, obviously the NC is a different chassis and this number can change by a good margin.

Target pricing of $1300 or under, this was our target for the ND bar and it ended up at $1195.

So, last week we got our development car -

Got busy pretty quickly -

And were able to test our prototype hoop design not only with the soft top but with the DG hard top as well -

Perfect fitment under both tops -

Lid went back on Sean's beautiful Club (thanks for coming, Sean!) -

The hoop is very tall, great news for the broomstick clearance challenged folks -

I'll keep updating the thread as we go along :icon_cheers:

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Any time Moti :)

Very exciting for those nc guys that want to keep the soft top...scca legality and full daily driver friendly.

When Moti says perfect fitment he means perfect (piece of paper fits between hard top and bar easily, probably too tight for a piece of cardboard though...Yeah that good)

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackbird Fabworx NC RZ is SCCA PDX legal!

Proud to let you all know that our NC RZ design and specs have been submitted to the SCCA for review and confirmed to be legal for PDX and Solo usage!

This is huge news and makes me very proud, seeing that we made it where every other vendor failed to meet spec :phillyb:

We will be ready to take orders on the bars in just a few days, get ready!

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackbird Fabworx NC RZ broomstick clearance

Broomstick clearance comparison pics, I'm 5'8" tall and sitting in a completely unmodified factory seat for the sake of discussion.
Tall folks have a lot more vertical room to gain with lowered seat mounts.

OEM hoop structure -

Blackbird Fabworx NC RZ -

Our bar is just a tick under 4" taller than the OE hoop structure, and as you can see, the difference is huge!
We measured the gap between my head and the straight edge and it came out to 3.25", lots of room :thumbs:

We also took a moment to weigh the prototype and get a rough number on the weight gain by switching to the RZ.
Adding the approximate weight of the backing plates and powder coating (which were not weighed), I'm guessing we'd be right around 30 Lbs gain for the RZ with the optional center speaker bracket, a little less without it.

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Moti, sent you a text regarding another bbfw project ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Moti! I might have been 50 of those 350 views as I kept coming back to admire it over and over again :). I have an NA and the fact you've figured out a way to solve the NC challenge is another point to push me towards heading up to your shop to finally get my car sorted. Very nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
That's a pretty awesome achievement but certainly no surprise given your well earned reputation. :icon_cheers:

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I promised the first batch orders are getting a special deal, so here are the details.

***First batch special***

Special limited time introductory price reduced to $1125 (plus tax / shipping) - $70 discount!
FREE custom powder coating with a large selection of colors - $80 discount!
Order the Blackbird Fabworx NC lexan spoiler at the same time and receive 25% off and FREE shipping on the spoiler - $100 discount!

That's a $150 discount on NC RZ roll bar orders or $250 combined discount if you buy it with the Spoiler!
Don't miss out on this limited time special deal, shoot me an email or call me at (818)339-3884 to place your order today

Key features of the NC RZ roll bar

* Allows full use of the factory soft top which can be lowered from the driver's seat.
* SCCA PDX/Solo Legal. Not kinda legal, not almost legal, not "hopefully you can sneak it by tech" legal. 100% SCCA LEGAL.
* Almost 4" taller than OEM hoop structure.
* DOM Steel construction with full X brace and a harness bar as standard.
* Allows the use of the factory hard top* and some aftermarket racing shells, clears all latches.
* Factory seat travel and recline retained in full.
* Allows all plastic trim panels and glove box to be reinstalled (with trimming).
* High grade hardware kit and a detailed installation manual are included.
* High quality powder coat finish included (60% gloss Black is standard), many custom colors available for just $80 additional fee.
* Weight gain of just ~30** Lbs. in comparison with the OEM hoop structure it replaces!

Priced at $1195 (plus tax / shipping) for the complete setup with the standard finish.

* OEM hard top to be verified soon.
** Weight gain is an estimate based on our prototype, we will weigh it again with the production version once available.

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled it out of the jig as soon as we had all the tubes together, no need to let me know the welding on the diagonal is not finished yet - I know ;)
It's missing the latch piece to clamp the top to so you don't see it in the pics here but obviously will have it all before we'll send it to powder coating.

Top down -

Top up -

And then I tried to take a pic of the rear view mirror to show how much of the bar is visible.
I apologize in advance because that didn't work very well... Mainly because you just can't see the bar in the rear view mirror.
It is as if there is no bar, completely invisible to the driver.

You're welcome, NC drivers! :icon_cheers:

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics of the finished product!

This is production unit #0001 shown custom powder coating in Chrome FX color, this will be an $80 option but with the current introductory promotion it is FREE :)
No longer will NC owners need to choose between their soft top or their safety, you can now eat the cake and have it too - our new NC RZ roll bar is built to SCCA's PDX specs, the golden rule for roll bar construction.
The bar is of course SCCA Solo legal as well.

First batch special will continue while we're gauging the production volume, but probably no more than a few days from now.

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we did have the NC GT3 before too, but yes, it is nice to be able to offer the NC RZ as well.

To my knowledge, Blackbird Fabworx is the world's ONLY manufacturer with Miata roll bars for all generations!
And, every single one of the models we make is SCCA legal.
Not bad, huh? :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pretty bad ass! Due to the price tag, can not make the jump on this just yet. Just need to push it out a bit longer...

But you can bet I'd be watching this thread closely!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts