ClubRoadster.net banner

Would you be interested in buying a CARB legal Turbo kit?

• Yes, we need a great engineered turbo kit that is CARB legal over 200whp

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No, I like paying off crooked smog shops and getting sent to the State REF

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seems like Bell Engineering may be cooking something up.

Id be totally interested in a kit that put out over 200whp and is CARB legal.

Our current options of Moss and FFS are around 4k and leave us at lower than 180whp, not worth the money IMO.

http://http://www.facebook.com/pages/BEGi-Bell-Engineering/119618160070

Click the link and tell them what you want in a new turbo kit. Corky Bell literally wrote the book on Forced Induction kits. Lets tell them what we want.

·
Deez Nuts
1,596 Posts
Are you talking about force induction in general because FFS sounds like Fast Forward Superchargers.

·
Deez Nuts
1,596 Posts
I don't mind a high horsepower kit thats not smog legal. I can always go my smog guy ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, yes, I meant that our CARB legal options were FFS as one of the better kits, but at 4k and under 180whp, thats expensive as hell at not worth the money IMO.

Bell kits seem reasonably priced and made very well.

We just need something that is CARB legal so we dont have to worry about smog.

I also have a 'go to' guy for smog, but you never know how reliably that can be and for how long, id rather not worry about it.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Smog legal would be awesome. They have already had smog legal kits for quite some time now. Passing the sniffer at 15mph 2nd gear and 25 mph 3rd gear, it really wouldnt be hard to pass a turbo. Most are not even spooled by that point. Relying on a rising rate fuel pressure regulator with small injectors would make this a cake walk. There have been people that made greddy kits have over 200whp just using rising rate fuel pressure regulators, 1.8 injectors, and timing retard boxes. This is nothing new and I bet everyone of BEGI's CARB legal kits is capable of this.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, cant seem to find any CARB legal info on BEGi's website, can you please provide a link?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_11_49&products_id=246
The BEGi Turbo System features components not found in any other systems. The most obvious parts are the scooper, radiator cover, and the cool air box. The power improvements come from the new downpipe, larger intercooler, and exhaust manifold improvements unprecedented in turbocharging. The downpipe is stainless steel, and features a new power improving design. Many of the power improvements are evident in the details. Temperature reductions through out the system have also received special attention. The water and oil lines to the turbo are more heat tolerant, well beyond the requirements. The system also features t-bolt hose clamps on the boost tubes. The larger intercooler has sheet metal endtanks with a bar and plate core. The kit comes with black powder coated tubes, and black turbo hose. Most systems, when installed with the BEGi fuel system, has a CARB EO for 1990 to 1999 Miatas.
This was off the s3 description. First paragraph. Did you ever read any of the turbo descriptions? Their carb exemption is allowed with their cast manifold, a garret turbo, intercooler, recirculating BOV, and rising rate fpr.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

On this link you can look any CARB EO#
excerpt:
EO: D-349 View PDFEO Date: 1/24/1994Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc. Device: IHI & Aerodyne Turbocharger KitsDevice Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger ModificationPart_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks: 1990-1993 Mazda Miatas with 1.6L gasoline engines Kit includes fuel pump, pressure regulator, replacement air cleaner, exhaust manifold, and intercooler. PCV breather hose is relocated. Check valve placed between purge control solenoid and inlet manifold.

EO:
D-349-1 View PDFEO Date: 12/19/2000Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc. Device: Mazda Turbocharger KitDevice Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger ModificationPart_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks: 1994 through 1999 Mazda Miatas The Mazda Turbocharger Kit includes the following: Garrett turbocharger, 10 psi. maximum boost, high flow fuel pump, intercooler (optional), two supplementary fuel injectors, fuel regulator designed to raise the fuel pressure as a function of boost pressure, open element air cleaner, ignition timing retard device, cast iron exhaust manifold, and exhaust connecting pipe. The supplementary fuel injectors are placed in an air tube just prior to the throttle body and are controlled by a boost pressure actuated electronic circuit. The manufacturer recommends 92 octane fuel.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_11_49&products_id=246
The BEGi Turbo System features components not found in any other systems. The most obvious parts are the scooper, radiator cover, and the cool air box. The power improvements come from the new downpipe, larger intercooler, and exhaust manifold improvements unprecedented in turbocharging. The downpipe is stainless steel, and features a new power improving design. Many of the power improvements are evident in the details. Temperature reductions through out the system have also received special attention. The water and oil lines to the turbo are more heat tolerant, well beyond the requirements. The system also features t-bolt hose clamps on the boost tubes. The larger intercooler has sheet metal endtanks with a bar and plate core. The kit comes with black powder coated tubes, and black turbo hose. Most systems, when installed with the BEGi fuel system, has a CARB EO for 1990 to 1999 Miatas.
This was off the s3 description. First paragraph. Did you ever read any of the turbo descriptions? Their carb exemption is allowed with their cast manifold, a garret turbo, intercooler, recirculating BOV, and rising rate fpr.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

On this link you can look any CARB EO#
excerpt:
EO: D-349 View PDFEO Date: 1/24/1994Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc. Device: IHI & Aerodyne Turbocharger KitsDevice Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger ModificationPart_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks: 1990-1993 Mazda Miatas with 1.6L gasoline engines Kit includes fuel pump, pressure regulator, replacement air cleaner, exhaust manifold, and intercooler. PCV breather hose is relocated. Check valve placed between purge control solenoid and inlet manifold.

EO: D-349-1 View PDFEO Date: 12/19/2000Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc. Device: Mazda Turbocharger KitDevice Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger ModificationPart_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks: 1994 through 1999 Mazda Miatas The Mazda Turbocharger Kit includes the following: Garrett turbocharger, 10 psi. maximum boost, high flow fuel pump, intercooler (optional), two supplementary fuel injectors, fuel regulator designed to raise the fuel pressure as a function of boost pressure, open element air cleaner, ignition timing retard device, cast iron exhaust manifold, and exhaust connecting pipe. The supplementary fuel injectors are placed in an air tube just prior to the throttle body and are controlled by a boost pressure actuated electronic circuit. The manufacturer recommends 92 octane fuel.

i have some literature showing how to properly spice up 91 to make a safe 92-94 octane result. i'll try to dig out the paperwork and post it here for anyone interested.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i was looking at over all descriptions, and i probably didnt click on the S3 specifically. Thanks.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well, i was looking at over all descriptions, and i probably didnt click on the S3 specifically. Thanks.
s1-s3 are covered by their carb exemption. Soon as they use a different manifold than the cast one its out the window. They are also not allowed to use a non garret turbo, so the shanghai is out.

·
Banned
607 Posts
For this to happen, most likely fuel control will have to be begi's reflashed stock ecu. This system isn't perfect, do some research. I was waiting eagerly for them to release this reflash, but when they finally did, it was a bit of a let down, and I decided to just go MS pnp.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
IIRC, BEGI does in fact have a CARB EO for the NA and NB1. Us NB2 folks are left out of the picture. We only get superchargers, :( I'm sure there would be an interest for a CARB NB2 turbo kit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
:( I'm sure there would be an interest for a CARB NB2 turbo kit.
Agreed. I'm sure they would sell plenty of CARB turbo kits. But, unfortunately, I don't think any company, in the current economic environment, is going to be willing to invest the amount of money it costs to get a CARB exemption for us NB2 folks.

Mike

·
Registered
653 Posts
you can always talk to Absurdflow and have track day worthy manifold, swap to Bell S1-S3 cast for smog.
After installing a manifold and turbo kit, there is no way in hell I'd want to swap it every 2 years. I just bought a BEGi-S kit, sent my own turbo and called it a day. You can easily get the car to pass on a MegaSquirt and just keep everything looking reasonable in the engine bay. Outside that, I would however like to see their C.A.R.B. cert updated to be more relevant. Knowing how lengthy that process would be though, it's hardly worth it from my standpoint.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, based on the this one forum Poll, looks like we have plenty of interest.

I hope someone at Bell or another company is reading this :)

Theres a whole new generation of Miata owners that want a true 'plug and play' kit.

Something similar to the quality and reliability of the Fast Forward Supercharger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts