ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just pulled the trigger on the Fortune Auto coilovers for my '92 NA. They are going in the car tomorrow installed at RSpeed! I'm pretty excited about this modification. These coilovers at $1100 are amazing!

• Dyno tested*
  • Mono-tube shock design
  • IP synthetic 5w or 10w shock oil (prevents cavitation and promotes superior heat dissipation)
  • Stainless steel body / piston
  • 30-way adjustable dampers
  • Spherical Bearings
  • Dust boots on all pistons
  • Oversized digressive 57mm piston housing
  • Anodized aluminum camber plates* on front upper-mounts
  • 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Height adjustment independent of pre-load
  • Rebound Adjustable
  • Swift springs upgrade available
  • Rebuild-able in the USA
  • Re-valveable in the USA
I can't wait to try them out. I will definitely report on them after I and a couple of other drivers test them. I drove Joe's car from RSpeed with similar setup and it is sweet. But mine is the latest and has new valves to better match my springs specifically for my purpose :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
need to show dyno graphs to really show awesomeness. that's a good buy, Joe was talking to me about those a lot and seem to be a very good competitor to the Xida CS from the way he was talking about it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What spring rates did you go with?
I got 6K F, 4K R. The coilovers are in the car already. Initial impression is WOW! Handling improvement is unbelievable! :)

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
What suspension are you coming from, and what other setups do you have experience with?

That is a very soft setup you have there compared to what most people run. Is this on a totally stock car?

Sorry for the random questions, I'm trying to gauge the knowledge base your opinion comes from. Any new suspension on a 100-200,000mile tired car will feel terrific.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Yeah, 6/4k is soft. Paging Braineack to this thread to make sense of the dyno graph.

Edit: looks like these have pretty awful rebound adjustment compared to Xida CS. I don't think this is really a "competitor".

·
Registered
497 Posts
A Taiwanese coilover will not compete with Xida, FCM, etc.... It may be a very good coilover, and worth the money for $1100, but it's not going to be on the same level as the higer level ones. I'm not hating on these, as they seem like one of the best solutions to a coilover for less money.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What suspension are you coming from, and what other setups do you have experience with?

That is a very soft setup you have there compared to what most people run. Is this on a totally stock car?

Sorry for the random questions, I'm trying to gauge the knowledge base your opinion comes from. Any new suspension on a 100-200,000mile tired car will feel terrific.
This is my 3rd Miata (second time around with this one). I have used Koni sports/GC coilovers w/H&R springs in my '91 BRG (turbocharged). I had a '95 R with the R package suspension (jrsc), In this one I've tried Bilsteins with stock springs and now these Fortune 510 coilovers. I've also had the new and old stock suspension in all my cars.
I also had an Integra GSR that I modified. That one had KYB adjsutable shocks, GC sleeves and GC springs as well as the stock suspension.
My last few cars from last to earlier were not modded but had first class suspensions: '09 C6 Z51, '06 C6 base coupe, '05 Evo VIII MR, '03 EVO VIII.

I just replaced a very new set of stock KYB shocks with stock springs, new mounts, boots, etc. I wanted to lower the stance a little bit and get a firmer, more planted suspension. I chose the softest springs that Terry recommended. I had asked for soft springs because I intend to use the car mostly on the streets. I don't race, but I do make mountain runs as much as I can ;). This car is supercharged (makes 10 p.s.i.). I have a 4.1 torsen LSD, 1.8 brakes, 1.8 Exedy stage 1 clutch and Chaparral wheels. I'm getting some 15 x 8 +20 XXR531 wheels and I wanted to complete the aggressive stance look. I enjoy modifying my car for performance and cosmetic purposes as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A Taiwanese coilover will not compete with Xida, FCM, etc.... It may be a very good coilover, and worth the money for $1100, but it's not going to be on the same level as the higer level ones. I'm not hating on these, as they seem like one of the best solutions to a coilover for less money.
Please keep an open mind and don't be so sure.... Contempt prior to investigation is not a good thing. I respectfully suggest not to bet your hard earned money on stuff just because other ppl parrot its superiority. Fortune Auto makes top notch suspension products for practically entry level prices. They don't make useless junk. Also, make sure you know where all these other products are made before putting sh*t on Taiwanese products.

Just saying....

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Please keep an open mind and don't be so sure.... Contempt prior to investigation is not a good thing. I respectfully suggest not to bet your hard earned money on stuff just because other ppl parrot its superiority. Fortune Auto makes top notch suspension products for practically entry level prices. They don't make useless junk. Also, make sure you know where all these other products are made before putting sh*t on Taiwanese products.

Just saying....
Everyone is sure they are a competent street/sport coilover, offered from a Miata specific vendor, with likely great over the phone support through salesmen and techs at RSpeed. Trying to lump them in with entry level race/motorsport hardware is where things just get laughable.

Do you mind showing us some up close shots of the anodized aluminum camber plates?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
The front spring rates on oem shocks is 1.8k front and 1k rear.
Yup, and? 6/4 is still soft. That's FM spring territory. Again, nothing wrong with this just an observation.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
at $1100, the question for most of us here at CR.net remains: are they any better than BC Racing (custom valved) or Stance (get loooowwwwwww)?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
This is my 3rd Miata (second time around with this one). I have used Koni sports/GC coilovers w/H&R springs in my '91 BRG (turbocharged). I had a '95 R with the R package suspension (jrsc), In this one I've tried Bilsteins with stock springs and now these Fortune 510 coilovers. I've also had the new and old stock suspension in all my cars.
I also had an Integra GSR that I modified. That one had KYB adjsutable shocks, GC sleeves and GC springs as well as the stock suspension.
My last few cars from last to earlier were not modded but had first class suspensions: '09 C6 Z51, '06 C6 base coupe, '05 Evo VIII MR, '03 EVO VIII.

I just replaced a very new set of stock KYB shocks with stock springs, new mounts, boots, etc. I wanted to lower the stance a little bit and get a firmer, more planted suspension. I chose the softest springs that Terry recommended. I had asked for soft springs because I intend to use the car mostly on the streets. I don't race, but I do make mountain runs as much as I can ;). This car is supercharged (makes 10 p.s.i.). I have a 4.1 torsen LSD, 1.8 brakes, 1.8 Exedy stage 1 clutch and Chaparral wheels. I'm getting some 15 x 8 +20 XXR531 wheels and I wanted to complete the aggressive stance look. I enjoy modifying my car for performance and cosmetic purposes as well.
Thank you for the resume, haha. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't someone blasting all the information from their website like its gospel, because its their first performance oriented suspension that replaced a blown 200k stock setup.

I am always suspicious of companies that have three different coil over lines that do not add things like external reservoirs or independent adjustment though.

Like their deadnaughts look to have awesome dampening, but as far as adjustability goes, its the same as their series 500. So basically they purposefully bottle neck their other coils. Also, they have marketing showing podium finishes, but this is ofcourse with the deadnaughts more than likely tuned for the exact car.

I guess it just bothers me I can see through their marketing bullshit, and if I'm looking at a companies maximum performance suspension it best have bells and whistles its other models do not (ie: individual adjustments for rebound and compression and/or external reservoirs). I don't like the idea they purposely designed and made crappier valves to sell cheaper. In terms of production the raw probably costs the same and the design time for 3 different levels cost more than just producing the one good valve for all their coils. This same reasoning is why I'll never purchase another tein product.

I still want to check out a set of these pretty badly. These are probably as good as it gets for the price. It reads like they have great features, much better than the other ~$1,000 coilovers. The question is though are they worth double the price of megan ez streets or FM vmaxx? Which I would consider to be the best buys out right now for someone not chasing seconds. These fall smack dab in the middle of two very compellingly priced setups.

$600-----------------------------------------------------$1100---------------------------------------------------$1800
Megan Ez's or FM Vmaxx for the street-------------- Fortune Auto from Rspeed------------------------------Xida club sport for the track

I mean is it worth the jump for a street car? Is it enough to not go the bit extra for the Xidas for a track car? That is the real question with these. These coils price point puts them in sticky competition.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
^^^
You forgot Ground Control+Koni Sport which is arguably a much better choice than everything you've listed save for the Xida setup.

at $1100, the question for most of us here at CR.net remains: are they any better than BC Racing (custom valved) or Stance (get loooowwwwwww)?
Is one cheap Chinese coilover better than the same cheap Chinese coilover?!?!?!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts