ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! Just picked up a hard top for my '96. At first i thought it was a snugtop. But now I'm nearly positive it's an OEM top. Has standard miata latches, and latch holders inside for the soft top to latch to while it's down. It was also repainted (at least once) and they didn't do a great job. It's bubbling in places, a few tiny chip, and there's a fingerprint in the paint!! The main problem with it is that one of the rear latch/guide things is busted. From what I can tell, those aren't fixable. Is that correct? Doesn't appear to be any way to replace it. I'd love to ask you all what you think it is worth (to make sure i got a good deal.) Unfortunately i don't have enough posts to post in the "what's it worth" forum...

Here are some pics (ignore the buses and MG. I have too many toys/projects :) and ignore the fact that the Miata is jacked up, in the process of installing a torsen :twisted: )

[/url]
2012-05-06 18.37.17 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-06 18.37.42 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-06 18.37.30 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-06 18.37.49 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Details on buses, now. :D
haha... well, the beige one is a '79 Westfalia (camper.) I've put a shitload of work into it. Entire front suspension is new. Replaced the sliding door track, did a bunch of interior work. I have 2-100 Watt solar panels for it, MPPT Charge controler, Xantrex Sine Wave Power inverter, propane hot water heater/shower (outdoor of course,) sleeps 4, sink, water. Still needs a lot of work but... Original 2.0L fuel injected air cooled with a 4 speed. Just got back from a trip down to Mississippi. 1700 miles round trip with 4 dudes. Ran great, good time! LOTS of attention. If you want attention, get a bus!

The green one is a '77 westy automatic and is a bit of a project. Super rust free (especially for the midwest.) Interior is flawless and original. Needs a bit of engine work and needs the nose repainted. I'm in the process of refinishing the fiberglass top and installing a brand new canvas pop top (hence the plastic covering it.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those latches cannot be replaced unless you find another top to salvage it from...

I'd price it at around $550.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, i figured it was worth between $550 and $650. It really sucks that the latch is broke... and it sucks even more that there is apparently no way to fix it :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, i figured it was worth between $550 and $650. It really sucks that the latch is broke... and it sucks even more that there is apparently no way to fix it :(
If you don't mind semi-permanently bolting the top down, those rear latches are not really necessary. I used Rennenmetal SM brackets to add security and they are solid.
http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1335

I have also seen ppl fab the rear bracket and use a regular hex bolt to bolt it down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
interesting to see how it'd look if you grind off the broken latch, cut off the other latch to match :p and then remove the frankenstein bolts and bolt the hardtop down on the inside with the rennenmetal brackets

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting to see how it'd look if you grind off the broken latch, cut off the other latch to match :p and then remove the frankenstein bolts and bolt the hardtop down on the inside with the rennenmetal brackets
That's actually what i was planning on doing. Since i apparently can't fix the broken one, mght as well make it symmetrical, chop off the other one and smooth it out. I still don't see the stock latches behind the seats letting the top go anywhere, but i'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you thought of painting the A pillars black to match the hardtop?

And just so you know, the renenmtal latches are not the OEM open and closing type. They are bolt in brackets that can not be accidentally released.

http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1335

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious to find out how the rear brackets can be removed without damaging the top itself. Any pictures?
If you can salvage the right bracket im sure you could get some money for it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, i'd be curious to see how i could get the other bracket off without damaging it. If that is possible, then replacing it should be possible. I assume the "smooth" look of the pink miata above was done with a fair bit of fiberglass/bondo work. Looks good! We'll see how much ambition I muster up... :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
god breezy's **** looks nasty!! more info on the MG??

:NINJA EDIT: good luck with the swap and good looking weld on that nut lol
Hahaha... Yeah. I ended up breaking the bolt. You can check out that mayhem in my thread in the engines/transmissions forum if you're feeling like a giggle. It was ugly.

Anyway, the MG is a '73 GT, last year of the chrome bumpers. Great little car, i've owned it for 4 years or so but i'm probably selling it this year to pay attention to some of my other needy "children."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts