ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 817 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As soon as the nb us done we'll start adapting it to the NA which will include reshaping the side windows and rear most deck area (and above the tailights) to better match the lines of the NA.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
As soon as the nb us done we'll start adapting it to the NA which will include reshaping the side windows and rear most deck area (and above the tailights) to better match the lines of the NA.
Yes!! This makes me happy guees ill start putting money aside for one little by little.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
::rolls eyes:: yes by all means let's make a big ass blindspot.

That's the style it's gonna be. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
We already have one top in this style -- I think having a S2k Spoon-style hardtop would be a nice option, although not something I'd be interested in.

·
Taste cannot be bought.
3,032 Posts
::rolls eyes:: yes by all means let's make a big ass blindspot.

That's the style it's gonna be. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
So I guess we should all make cutouts on both sides of our soft top because without them, our soft top has blind spots, therefore making it impossible to drive.

If you set your side mirrors correctly, you're good. Most people don't have the slightest clue how to set their side mirrors. Those circular blind spot stick-on mirrors people add to their side mirrors are completely unnecessary. Heck, side mirrors aren't even necessary--you still look over your shoulder when you change lanes. Only a rear-view is necessary.

I'm 100% not interested in this product, but I'd like to think I have a keen sense of style when it comes to this, so I'll drop some feedback here. Those side windows look atrocious and are completely unnecessary. They're also another way for people to look inside your car to notice that your car wasn't designed to be a coupe.

Side windows need to go for real. Just look at the NA coupe--no side windows.

Yeah, god forbid potential customers voice their input on a product in development.
Yup. Again, nanner delivers. Every single time.

Yo Brontosaurus, sick photoshop bro. XD

·
Registered
788 Posts
First, my apologies to the sponsor for mucking up the thread with a disagreement. we should keep suggestions to the other thread here I believe he started this one as an announcement thread, not a discussion thread. This way what he is actually offering doesn't get lost amongst the wants and desires.

Yeah, god forbid potential customers voice their input on a product in development.
Not gonna disagree with you there, but I was under the impression that the design was close to completion. It wasn't until I went through the entire thread again, that I noticed early on he stated that the side windows are not final yet. Opps, sorry my bad.

So I guess we should all make cutouts on both sides of our soft top because without them, our soft top has blind spots, therefore making it impossible to drive.
Nce. I do have my mirrors placed so there are no blindspots, So I know what you are talking about, IMHO and that's what everyone is giving, *opinions*, Taking away the side windows would degrade the look, and cause blindspots that not everyone knows how to eliminate.

Again, sorry to the sponsor. I hope to see the NC Top offered!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't sweat it askut.
We're close to having something "real" to show, so I dont really feel like commenting on peoples 'chops or trying to explain (repeatedly) our design choices at this point since I'm sure we'll start all over once you guys see the real thing in more then 2 dimensions. My profile drawing is vector graphics with solid fill... pretty tough to get an idea of depth or contour from that!
I'll say a few things though.
-There is a good chance we will offer a "no window" option. I personally dont like it, but choice is good and I dont see how it would hurt.
-I'm looking into a specific OEM-BASED 1/4 window option, but considering the contours of the top (its not slab sides like a 240) its not as simple as some people seem to think. The way the 1/4 glass tips twards the center of the car at the top and tapers in twards the back more then most cars is an issue.
-I think non-radiused approximately "right" corners on the 1/4 glass (except _maybe_ the front bottom corner) look like crap and do not match a single line on the car. Plus, when using lexan cut with "points" and dealing with flex you are a lot more likely to get cracking then with rounded radiused edges. Sealing is easier as well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.
I have new pics I will be posting tonight.... Just one for now. We are not as far as we expected to be as we've been dealing with a big order of shelby fiberglass.
We pulled a mold of the wooden buck, made a part and are now tweaking that first part, making some changes and getting all the fitting right etc to we can pull production molds off of it. So, my point is this is still technically a "pre-prototype" and VERY rough.... but it should give you a better idea of where this is going. We still have aesthetic issues to work out, but right now we are concentrating on fit.
We have lifted the back end up a bit to get more rollbar and headroom without messing with the roofline much. This makes the back corners look a bit high (A little too much like a Z4 for my taste), but that is being addressed. It doesnt look so hunchbacked in person when you see the whole car, and it looks awesome from behind, very curvy.... and the rear "hips" of the cars are nicely accentuated .The ducktail spoiler is VERY rough piece of foam right now that will be made into a mold plug. The spoiler will wrap around the sides more and will help take care of the aforementioned corner issue as well. We will also make a smaller lip spoiler.
The side roll up windows have a very close tolerance with the top. The top is basically flush with the glass and the gap between them is less then 1/8 inch, including the back edge of the window where the OEM hardtop has a huge step. This step has always bothered me, and now its gone and its pretty damn slick. The seals are also pretty simple and slick. The window sealing and everything associated with it like wind noise, weather sealing etc should be noticeably better then OEM.
The 1/4 window shape is still driving me nuts, and is oddly the single biggest issues we have left besides the gas cap.... and the gas cap is pretty much figured out.

So, to re-itterate issues we are dealing with in these pics:
-Back corners above tail light are still being shaped, as is the spoiler.
-can't decide on 1/4 window shapes and I cant believe how varied opinions are on this.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As soon as I posted pics our server crashed.... so if you don't seem them thats whats going on.
Here is a pic of the tail where the hatch will open and the 3rd brake light will be so you can see some of the contours we are working with. A nice little narrow lip spoiler option would also be cool.
The bottom of the hatch will work with the stock latch, have provisions for license plate lights, bumpers etc.
The APR universal wing should work perfectly on the hatch with the 29.5" mounts and lift with it. I'm trying to figure out something for the 40" wide miata wings so they can be adapted that isnt totally inelegant, but chances are anyone running one will want to handle the "adaptation" themselves. I am also working on getting set up with APR to get wings made to our specs and sell as part of the package.

1 - 20 of 817 Posts