ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to either fix my old header(leaking), have a new one made(Dan's Toys) or purchase a new one.

What are my options?

JDM, USDM, home brew, any imput appreciated!

thanks

-Paul

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
there's one for sale at miata.net and they're in the OC too, I think.. didnt say what it was, just that it was 4-2-1.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Looking to either fix my old header(leaking), have a new one made(Dan's Toys) or purchase a new one.
I don't know how long a repair will last. A custom built one from scratch will be pricey and your car will be down for a while as the header may take days/weeks to get built. Even then there's no guarantee you'll like it or it will work well. The most bang for the buck header on a 1.6L is the generic eBay/ OBX/ Megan Racing cheapo stainless steel header. At ~$175 a pop shipped they're hard to beat. There has been much debate about wrapping headers but at that price you've got nothing to lose. You could go with natural color fiberglass wrap for the Toda look or go black for jdm killer ninja look. It will keep your under hood temps down. I'm happy with my Racing Beat header but it was more than twice as much money as OBX. My under hood engine temps are much higher now without any heat sheild in place. It hurts to open the hood sometimes. I can only imagine what that heat is doing to my heater core hoses, brake fluid, and air intake temps. JDM headers may or may not fit but Tetsuyagarage has a lovely Maxim Works header on his LHD car.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
most bang for the buck on a 1.6 is the OBX no doubt.

Racing Beat stainless is probably the best looking USDM header IMO. It looks great once its broken in, it makes you reconsider putting some sort of heat shield on it.

I lucked out and a friend was selling his 1.6 Jackson Racing Ceramic header for $200 so I grabbed it. No leaks, clean shape. I wrapped it with some header wrap and it keeps things nice and cool underhood. Not so pretty with the wrap on it, but it does the job. MUCH cooler than stock underhood temps.

I have read more than a few things on .net about JR headers cracking though....

I have no knowledge on any JDM headers though

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeha. I have a JR right now. It cracking was of no surprise to me, welds around collector are horrid. PLus I bang on that exhaust all the time. ahhh hte low life.

Ill look into the OBX ebay ones. Thanks

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Best choice depends on what your budget and goals are. Do you just need something cheap to evacuate exhaust gasses or do you want JDM show car bling or do you want race worthy performance? Do you care whether it's new or used? If you could fill us in a little more on that we can offer more advice. There are dozens of headers available for the B6P motor but most are in Japan and on the expensive side and no guarantee that it will fit. Bob Boig might also be able to make you a header for your 1.6 although most everything of his I've heard about is for the BP.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,617 Posts
Does Boig do his headers as a one-off or what? I've never seen any website or anything for him.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I've never seen a website for him either. Apparently he's one of those strange breed of Miata people who doesn't spend 66% of their time surfing clubroadster.net, miata.net, roadster-chat.net, roadsterdrift.com, or any other Miata Roadster based internet chat forum. I heard that a lot of racers use his stuff but I've never seen one in person. I've seen his car on gibbp's cardomain page and I've seen pics of his car at Apex Automotive Engineering but I have no clue who the man is or how to reach him.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking for either new or used and "whatevers clever" sort of deal.

Less then 400 range..

Also that header posted on ebay isn't racing beat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts