ClubRoadster.net banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can you show how/where the trunk lid bolts on? How hard would it be to open/close the trunk on a normal basis? I'm really liking these new fastback options popping up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
The hinges for the trunk lid have to be semi concealed in the bottom corners of the back window. It will look neat and hardly noticeable. Because of the big hump in the boot, it won't open with Oem hinges. I can do no hinges for people that want to pin it on. And the guy I sold my old fastback to put sliders on the Oem hinges. So you pop the trunk, slide it out and lift it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly the fact that it would have a working trunk at all is impressive. Usually with aftermarket body work you end up loosing functionality, not keeping / gaining any :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I went with a very simple design so no matter if you want to pin the boot/trunk on, use the hinges that I made, or make your own design. It will work regardless without any modifications or filling holes. The hinge is a quality metal ball and cup, it bolts into the corners of the back window, and a bracket gets bolted to the boot/trunk frame. It works well, is easy to adjust, it's tiny, it's light, and will hardly be noticeable once the window is in. The back window will have a black border, the hinge will be black.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
I'm quite interested. I wonder if you'll be able to ship for less than Carbonmiata has been offering for his hardtops. (~$700.00 USD)

edit for politeness!: Will you make a version without the hinges sticking up? Not sure I'm a fan... Internal hinges or lift off would be preferable imo.
Did you miss this?

I went with a very simple design so no matter if you want to pin the boot/trunk on, use the hinges that I made, or make your own design.
Looks like he's already thought of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Quick update. The final coat of primer is on, and after I spend a few hours wet sanding it, it will be ready for paint.

Getting closer..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Man every step you post this thing looks better and better. It doesn't look aftermarket at all (not that thats always a bad thing). It just looks like Mazda designed and manufactured that as a factory option. The kind of thing only Japan would get :).

Also have you considered selling these already painted in some of the factory colors?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Actually I was saying that the other day. The guy that does the fibreglass is also a spray painter, so I can get them painted professionally for a reasonable price. I would paint them myself if I had a dedicated paint booth. Progress has been slow, but will get back into it today.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I sanded the primer nice and smooth. Then sprayed some black enamel on to see how it's looking. There are still some pin holes that will need filling. Then I will rub it smooth again ready for its final coat. I may even take a mould from it once it's smooth again. You always get orange peel with a gun finish. Not that it matters, they will need paint and prep before instal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
We are getting very close now. I had some small pin holes that I thought would be filled when I painted it. Seeing as I want it right, it's had a full rub down after filling the pin holes, and is being repainted in a booth professionally.
I took orders locally for a batch of 10. And once these are done and the process is running smooth, I will open up a run for everyone. We will look into shipping options later, but the box is about 1450x450x1450. I think it's a bit smaller than this, but you can quote that size for shipping purposes to get a rough idea. From Melbourne Australia.
I haven't finalised pricing as yet, waiting on all the parts and labour to be added up once we start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
The new moulds have been made, and some minor changes have been done. I am working with another shop to get things done. Unfortunately the shop hasn't made any complete ones yet. By the end of this week we should be starting production. I just picked up the huge boxes to ship them in.
I put an initial price of $2200au. But I will know the final price soon. I want to keep the price as low as possible, but there are so many costs involved.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
How much is $2200AU, like $75USD? If so, I'll take 2.

XD

161 - 180 of 214 Posts