ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I just signed up not too long ago. I just wanted to share my recent pick up from craigslist. I have a long time history of modding cars since I was 15. Im 27 now.. Also im a active member on many other forums. Been to track/drift days/car shows and done the many project cars over the years..

Previous cars included.
- Turbo'd Integra/Civics/etc
- 240sx
- Rx7
- Turbo Mr2s
- IS300s
- 2jzgte 400whp SC300
- My most recent 09 Mercedes C350 (daily driver)

Pictures of my most recent cars..

Never had a roadster or convert and was itching to play with another project car soo this is what I picked up recently!

Its a 1997 Supercharged Miata. Clean title, power steering/ac/power windows.

Pictures: (ill add more soon sorry teasing :mrgreen:)

It came with the following mods.

- Alpine headunit with JL audio.
- Jackson Racing Supercharger. M45?
- Wilwood Big Brake Kit.
- Tokico Shocks and springs.
- Eibach sway bars.
- Brand new soft top.
- Exhaust forget the name =(

Alot of my friends said I got a pretty good deal. Car drives fine minus a weird idle issue I need to figure out It doesnt catch when coming to stop sometimes and then the car dies. But im overall happy. I hope to learn alot about miatas and hit some twisties soon.

I currently have coming in the mail..

- Hard dog roll bar
- GV replica lip
- Racing seats
- Gauges
- New interior ( I hate the tan)
- Racing steering wheel
- Vinyl wrap to wrap the exterior to Matte white.

I do want to keep this a budget build.. so if I dont use real nice brand parts dont hate on me. I realized over the past years spending 10k in mods on a 2k car is crazy.. Cheap car = Cheap parts.

If anyone can recommend rims I would be greatful as well. I would like to reuse the 16" tires on the car already.. but if 15" is really the way to go then so be it!

Thanks for everyone viewing this tread... Ill post as mods get installed. I work pretty fast so expect a pretty decent Miata in less than a month or so. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
What are your goals for driving with this car? That will definitely be a deciding factor on wheels. If you haven't heard yet, Miatas are very sensitive to heavy wheels.

Nice looking cars and the Miata looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your goals for driving with this car? That will definitely be a deciding factor on wheels. If you haven't heard yet, Miatas are very sensitive to heavy wheels.

Nice looking cars and the Miata looks pretty clean.
Car will just be used for my Commute to save gas/Weekend fun/Twisties/Mountains/Long Road Trips.

I doubt ill be trackin the car much. Maybe once in a while if im really bored. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a damn good deal

·
Registered
140 Posts
How many miles on the car? $4100 is a great deal regardless. What are you currently using to address fuel/timing?

From the looks of the blower(outlet manifold) it appears to be one of the early jackson units, or Sebring units. It is tough to tell from the picture, but it may also have the newerish moss tensioner upgrade on it.

Welcome and goodluck w/ the build! Any plans to crank up the boost?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles on the car? $4100 is a great deal regardless. What are you currently using to address fuel/timing?

From the looks of the blower(outlet manifold) it appears to be one of the early jackson units, or Sebring units. It is tough to tell from the picture, but it may also have the newerish moss tensioner upgrade on it.

Welcome and goodluck w/ the build! Any plans to crank up the boost?
The car has 190k miles. The motor looks maybe rebuilt (my mech thinks so)? Its currently using a J&S control timing box like this one.

I cannot find a PowerCard or any other piggyback right now for fuel. Ill check fully when I take the interior out. The car is suffering from IDLE DROOP right now im trying to figure it out. Coming to a stop from high RPM .. 1) hunts for the idle 2) stalls 3) falls and shoots up to 2000rpm before settles..

Ill hook up my Boost gauge and Airfuel soon to see what PSI im pulling. Since the M45 is a weak charger 5psi stock? If i can ill just push 7-9psi .. I dont plan to boost much in NAZI CA. Keeping it smog legal.. (dont want to "buy" a smog).

Im on a budget build as well so I dont want to dump too much money into this toy.
(we all say that dont we tho?) :phillyb:

If I wanted to boost bigger and $$$ to throw away I would build the 1.8 motor + turbo kit and megasquirt it up =) (ask me again in 6months hah)

·
Registered
799 Posts
damn u bought those mats lol. i was debating on those lol. and yes i have a feeling this car will be compleley differnt in 6 months. look at how u spend money NOW lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
The idle problem is inherent with superchargers because of the bypass. Something that will allow you to tune via map and ignore the maf should cure the idle woes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haha well keep us all updated on the idle droop. My car does the same thing, but only for the 25minutes after a cold start. And every time I get close to figuring it out, my car decides to stop doing it for a few days and then its back to square one.

I would recommend upping the boost, really a night and day difference. If your powercard (assuming that is what you are running) is the adjustable type, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a crank overlay/bigger belt away

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The idle problem is inherent with superchargers because of the bypass. Something that will allow you to tune via map and ignore the maf should cure the idle woes.
Haha well keep us all updated on the idle droop. My car does the same thing, but only for the 25minutes after a cold start. And every time I get close to figuring it out, my car decides to stop doing it for a few days and then its back to square one.

I would recommend upping the boost, really a night and day difference. If your powercard (assuming that is what you are running) is the adjustable type, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a crank overlay/bigger belt away
I cant find any fuel management/powercard/AFPR anywhere on the car.... I turned up my idle to 900 to deal with it a little but it hasnt really helped much.. Very discouraging..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Started to take the car apart today... Need to fix my power windows x2.

More pictures.. found some new nice things on the car.. It has a BRAIN STORM DUAL EXHAUST and BRAIN STORM LOW PROFILE LIGHTS.

Found a Kenwood amp and other JL awesomeness under my trunk!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Setting the car up with dual throttle bodies helps with the idle droop. It also helps a lot with throttle response.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts