ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm actually on my 2nd Miata. My first one, a '91 with about 90k miles, was bought out of desperation. I needed something that got me from place to place no matter what it was. I was hesitant, everything from the 'cute' little door handles to the look of the front end struck me as unapologetically feminine. I couldn't even drive stick, but she ran well enough and the price was low enough for me not to care. Once I got a hold of driving a manual, I fell madly in love with her. That car had a lot of personality and a lot of soul, more than any other car I've ever come across.

Long story short, she was turning in to a money pit. My initially cheap investment quickly skyrocketed as I discovered just how little her previous owner's cared for her. Damn near everything gave me problems at least once. Once her foibles went from being funny to semi-dangerous, I decided I needed a new car, and it had to be a Miata.

Luckily I found a gem very quickly. My current Miata is a black '97 with electric mirrors/windows and only 47,XXX miles. It came with Rota RB's in 15x8 with new 205/50 Yokohoma S Drive tires, a tonneau cover, I.L. Motorsports center console, a decent little Pioneer head unit, and a chrome style bar. Absolutely everything feels new. Tight as a drum. (Not sure if it has the LSD, I called Mazda, but they never got back to me.)

My plans for him are mostly cosmetic/interior things. My only major plans are the addition of a proper roll bar and new suspension since he sits like a 4x4 at the moment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, nice low miles, sounds great. Curious why your first one (the money pit) was a "she" and this one is a "he"?

Chris
It's difficult to explain. The old one had a very worn, forgiving clutch. (Not sure if I'm phrasing that right..) It had the stock daisy wheels with the super skinny tires, and it was a very slow and quiet car even for a stock Miata. You could tell that many horses had escaped from its engine. It was also a very sedate color. That doesn't necessarily make it feminine, but compared to the new car it was worlds different. It certainly wasn't masculine.

Any implications that women=a money pit were purely coincidental :whistle:

The new car is the total opposite. The new car has a much less forgiving clutch that bites down like a bear trap. It's engine feels much more powerful than the old car, and the exhaust has a louder, deeper and more aggressive tone. It also sits on wider rubber giving it a more aggressive stance from the back.

At the end of the day I'm still assigning genders to inanimate objects, but it just feels right, man :fab:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome, I live in Cypress which is right down 290 if you are familiar with the area. I'm saving for a miata right now, should be sitting in one around summer time! Maybe we'll see each other someday

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow definitely a nice find. How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? Currently saving for one lol

To be honest, he was more than I ever thought I could convince myself was ok to spend on a Miata. They initially wanted ~7,200 which I haggled down to around ~6,900. It may not be S2K or MSM money, but I definitely felt like I was paying a premium for the low miles. It's hard to tell though since so few NA's you see ever have less than 70k on the clock, let alone 50k.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh wow yeah thats almost twice the budget I am setting for my miata (~4k). I agree though, with that kind of mileage - 6.9k is justifiable. I see a lot of nice ones out towards houston area, but its hard for me to make a 3hr trip just to take a look at one in person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome, I live in Cypress which is right down 290 if you are familiar with the area. I'm saving for a miata right now, should be sitting in one around summer time! Maybe we'll see each other someday
I live in the Katy/Cypress area, so there is definitely a chance we will!

Welcome! You on HI or HMC?
I don't know what either of those things are, so that probably answers your question :|

OP, just curious where are you located?
Katy/Cypress area north west of downtown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.