ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm actually on my 2nd Miata. My first one, a '91 with about 90k miles, was bought out of desperation. I needed something that got me from place to place no matter what it was. I was hesitant, everything from the 'cute' little door handles to the look of the front end struck me as unapologetically feminine. I couldn't even drive stick, but she ran well enough and the price was low enough for me not to care. Once I got a hold of driving a manual, I fell madly in love with her. That car had a lot of personality and a lot of soul, more than any other car I've ever come across.

Long story short, she was turning in to a money pit. My initially cheap investment quickly skyrocketed as I discovered just how little her previous owner's cared for her. Damn near everything gave me problems at least once. Once her foibles went from being funny to semi-dangerous, I decided I needed a new car, and it had to be a Miata.

Luckily I found a gem very quickly. My current Miata is a black '97 with electric mirrors/windows and only 47,XXX miles. It came with Rota RB's in 15x8 with new 205/50 Yokohoma S Drive tires, a tonneau cover, I.L. Motorsports center console, a decent little Pioneer head unit, and a chrome style bar. Absolutely everything feels new. Tight as a drum. (Not sure if it has the LSD, I called Mazda, but they never got back to me.)

My plans for him are mostly cosmetic/interior things. My only major plans are the addition of a proper roll bar and new suspension since he sits like a 4x4 at the moment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, nice low miles, sounds great. Curious why your first one (the money pit) was a "she" and this one is a "he"?

Chris
It's difficult to explain. The old one had a very worn, forgiving clutch. (Not sure if I'm phrasing that right..) It had the stock daisy wheels with the super skinny tires, and it was a very slow and quiet car even for a stock Miata. You could tell that many horses had escaped from its engine. It was also a very sedate color. That doesn't necessarily make it feminine, but compared to the new car it was worlds different. It certainly wasn't masculine.

Any implications that women=a money pit were purely coincidental :whistle:

The new car is the total opposite. The new car has a much less forgiving clutch that bites down like a bear trap. It's engine feels much more powerful than the old car, and the exhaust has a louder, deeper and more aggressive tone. It also sits on wider rubber giving it a more aggressive stance from the back.

At the end of the day I'm still assigning genders to inanimate objects, but it just feels right, man :fab:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome, I live in Cypress which is right down 290 if you are familiar with the area. I'm saving for a miata right now, should be sitting in one around summer time! Maybe we'll see each other someday

·
Banned
122 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Looks like an amazing find! Only 47k miles!!!

If you are in the Houston area, make sure to drop by the NST showroom and check out some new suspension! Or come out to the next local drift event!

CODY @ NST

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow definitely a nice find. How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? Currently saving for one lol

To be honest, he was more than I ever thought I could convince myself was ok to spend on a Miata. They initially wanted ~7,200 which I haggled down to around ~6,900. It may not be S2K or MSM money, but I definitely felt like I was paying a premium for the low miles. It's hard to tell though since so few NA's you see ever have less than 70k on the clock, let alone 50k.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh wow yeah thats almost twice the budget I am setting for my miata (~4k). I agree though, with that kind of mileage - 6.9k is justifiable. I see a lot of nice ones out towards houston area, but its hard for me to make a 3hr trip just to take a look at one in person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome, I live in Cypress which is right down 290 if you are familiar with the area. I'm saving for a miata right now, should be sitting in one around summer time! Maybe we'll see each other someday
I live in the Katy/Cypress area, so there is definitely a chance we will!

Welcome! You on HI or HMC?
I don't know what either of those things are, so that probably answers your question :|

OP, just curious where are you located?
Katy/Cypress area north west of downtown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts