ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may recognize me... I've gone to quite a few GA meets with my other half.

Hi there. I'm Jenn. I live in Atlanta GA and am a few days away from purchasing this beauty

It won't look exactly like that for long though :mrgreen: I have plans. I hope to find a lot of good info on this site about mods as I am hoping to get this car up to about 230 or 240 at the wheels. From what I've read so far, this won't be a very difficult task.

I currently have an 06 MINI Cooper S. It's a great car, looks amazing and drives great but
1) VERY expensive to mod. I'm about 180 at the wheels right now (started at 160 or so) and to go higher...it's going to take $1,000's. My exhausts start at about $900 and an intercooler upgrade is just as much. Nothing is affordable for this car.

2) Quirks - some people that own MINIs seem to think it's just a side effect of owning a very unique car... I think it's bs. I owned an 04 MINI S that died in my driveway at 13,000 miles. four months in the shop later and a lawsuit... BMW paid me to leave them alone and gave me a replacement car. I got the 06 thinking that it was going to be great... factory LSD, better gearing and a few more ponies and yeah, it is a great car but it still has been in 5 times for warranty service for little things. Call me crazy but when you pay in the area of $30K for a car, it shouldn't be in for service at 3,000 miles... or 10,000 miles... etc. The passenger seat airbag sensor went out, my door handles stick when it's cold and I actually can't get in the car... it's just.. annoying. Yeah, it all gets fixed for free but it shouldn't need to be fixed at all. I still have to leave work to take it in and sit and wait in a dealership. On top of that... my car was hit in my office parking lot about 2 months ago and was quite a pain to get fixed. My 04 was hit twice and I had scary flashbacks of owning a car that everyone runs into... again. I also have a bent rear trailing arm that I have NO idea how it happened. No damage on the car anywhere, it's been on two lifts and checked out completely but my toe is stuck at 1.3 degrees and it's ugly and is going to destroy my tires. $600 to fix it... yeah... right.

3) RWD FTW!

4) I've always wanted a convertible... so why not

5) My own personal mechanic O:)

Yes, the MINI is gorgeous, but it's becoming more and more of a pain... and I need to save money to buy a house soon =D>

Our cars:

I have big plans for the MSM. I assure you it will be a one of a kind.

·
!n-joy
3,192 Posts
Yay! Another MSM! Welcome to the boards. If you are looking for support and questions specifically on tech info on the MSM, hop over to Mazda-speed.com. Great resource.

Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ooooooooooo. Droptopdrifter's other half?

Welcome to the boards, always nice to see another MSM owner.

Figure 225whp with engine management (XEDE), 440cc injectors (still have to install mine, ugh) and 12psi on the stock turbo. Any higher and you're looking at a new turbo.

Def. check out mazda-speed.com for more info on our cars.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooooooooo. Droptopdrifter's other half?

Welcome to the boards, always nice to see another MSM owner.

Figure 225whp with engine management (XEDE), 440cc injectors (still have to install mine, ugh) and 12psi on the stock turbo. Any higher and you're looking at a new turbo.

Def. check out mazda-speed.com for more info on our cars.
That's me!

We're both signed up over at Mazda-Speed as well to get as much info as we can on our new toy.

I think I've got a good mod path picked out... and some really sweet interior and exterior bits as well.

We've been de-modding the MINI all weekend (what a pain!!).

·
Registered
17 Posts
on the stock turbo it's kinda if your MSM is on the better side of making power or one of the ones that don't make as much power, some reason im able to hold 14psi while others are stuck at 10-11psi....

as for the fuel pump you don't need to change that out......flyinmiata made like 300+whp with the stock pump for their car and driver test miata

but to make the power output you want i would go with FM's Big Enchi kit or just the hydra and injectors with custom exhaust and intercooler/intake piping.

that basically maxes out what the stock turbo is capable of making about 240whp but to make more upgrading the turbo to a T3/T4 at 12psi would work to 260whp prolly with more potential

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
hey hun:)

Ya, we finished taking off all the mods from the MINI and are now awaiting delivery of the MSM... probably on tuesday.

Looking forward to have 2 MX5's to bring to ths SE meets :D

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Congrats on the MSM and enjoy the forum. I wonder if I can get a buddy to read this thread to persuade him to get a miata instead of a mini-s.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some people have no problems with them, some (like me) have TONS. It's just not worth it. If it was my 2nd or 3rd car, fine but I have to get to work every day and I can't leave to get things fixed all the time.

Besides, it's time to go RWD.

You friend should definitely read up on NorthAmericanMotoring.com for info on the MINIs. I can't speak for the 07's though, I know just about nothing about them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hrm. Nick, you know someone that's planning on getting a Mini S, too? We're not both thinking Shawn, are we, 'cuz he's wanting to get one soon. He says he's driven the new (turbo) Mini S as well, and it's just as quick, but he says the interior is even uglier, as well as the exterior being a lot uglier, too.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Mazdaspeed ftw~

Welcome =D>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts