ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents.

This is my 1st post to the forum but I have been lurking around for a few months now. Jimmy give me the good advice(does he offer anything other then?) to surf here for solid info on taking good care of my'ata and improving my stoplight grin and go win ratios. Ok, I have to say he's cautioned me about that habit. I've heard "drive safe" often. ANYWAY - I post here now with great news to share.

Im now an official owner of IRTB's. As proud as I would be to say they are Fuji-Racing IRTBs, I cannot. I just could not generate the immediate cash.

But proving that even a stray dog gets lucky & has a steak tossed his way once in a life, I got these:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=186940

They are DIY from a very kind and gifted soul who goes by ElyasWolff.

Elyas let me pay on a monthly plan and to me that was incredibly cool since we only knew each other through posting.

Anyway, if you want to see a short(very)clip of them running on Elyas's car, you can do so on my photobucket site at the below URL.

Password to enter is - fast.

The clip is in the "clean car" folder. Folders are written in blue letters towards top of page so it goes: fasthappy folder - clean car - folder.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/Aestheticsphd/

Some other important notes about this whole dream come true;

1) Elyas is customizing a manifold for me as his car is a 1.6l and mine is '04, 1.8l. Minor detail eh?

2) Elyas uses MegaSquirt to run his. Im actively seeking and researching other options as, get this, I am NOT mechanically inclined or gifted, at all. MS wiring scares the hell out of me. So moto_bruce, dude, YOU DA MAN! Congratulations on your success! And I thank you now, sincerely for posting the detailed info you have shared here. Awesome. And truly, you give me of little to no mechanical experience, hope! I do have a best friend who owns a neighborhood garage where all they do is repair cars so he'll be doing the major assembly while I buy his beverages of choice till death do we part.

Anyway, game plan is to get a ECU on asap and then the IRTBs installed so come summer (I live in Madison, WI = WINTER = my'ata rarely driven), Im in serious IRTB heaven.

Ok thats it for now but please, most importantly of all, I really want to thank this forum for all the IRTB info I have already gleaned.

And a genuine "thank you!! Jimmy!" as w/o having stumbled upon Jimmy at the ?ata.net forum, I would not have had the IRTB introduction and information that I did. Jimmy, you inspired me from day one. So between your inspiration and Elyas's adoption of this stray IRTB wannabe, the wannnabe, will soon be!

And gents and I promise, I promise, to try and contribute here as much as you who have posted, have helped me.

Speed well,

FastHappy

·
Registered
902 Posts
FastHappy-It's about time you posted. Welcome!

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
499 Posts
you will love them,

i have the fujiracing 1.8 itb's and aem ems, i just got them dyno tuned this weekend. and let me tell you tunning is everything!

·
Registered
291 Posts
FastHappy,

Congratulations on committing to IRTBs. I hope you are able to learn as much about you engine as I have by doing it!

Thanks for the kind words. I think the more that people know about how straightforward it is to install the hardware, the less intimidated they will be. Knowledge can simplify the unknown.

You are also heading into your own direction with MegaSquirt. Awesome. Getting Megasquirt to run on your current setup without IRTBs will be less daunting then trying to get the hardware and electrics up at once. The Freedom that Jimmy sent me had a good base map and that is what we are running on right now. We didn't have to figure out how to wire it up or program it, the Freedom simply plugged into the harness and fired the car. All the hard work of programming it was done before we got it.

I had thought about MS earlier this year and my plan was to get it up on fuel first, then spark and not all at once. I figured I would be taking smaller steps into figuring it out instead of diving in and ending up with a car that doesn't start and an owner that has no idea what to do next.

I was thinking about MS and you may want to find an ecu from the same year as your car and try to use some of the parts, in particular the wiring plugs. Cut them out and wire them to the MS board, or try to mount the MS board into the ecu case and wire it up to the plugs. That would be a pretty big technical challenge, but you wouldn't have to hack you car's wiring to get the MS installed.

Again, congrats on committing to IRTB. I think they are pure, simple, elegant and in line with the philosphy of roadsters. Keep us posted on how it all goes. I'm very interested to hear how you do with MS. I'll continue to share what we do with Freedom and our challenges.

Bruce

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys,

Apologies for the delay in reply. Life, happens.

Thanks Jimmy and others for the welcome. So much excellent info here its an IRTB wanna be & or owner, heaven.

Agent935 - Elyas did want to keep them local and in fact somebody local did make an offer, Elyas accepted but then the unlucky soul never followed thru. IMO, I think the fact that I had been a vocal and consistent supporter and admirer of Elyas's DIY project from the start, he knew in the end that I would appreciate them and give them a loving good home. Honestly, i was shocked when he said "lets talk about how we can make these yours". I'm thankful and realize, I'm very lucky.

Jdmeg3 - you, with a few others here really give me great hope that I too, can use my 'ata w/IRTBS as a daily driver.

Moto_Bruce, to clarify, I am hopefully NOT going to use MegaSquirt. Elyas did so successfully but I, am not Elyas! Im rather intimidated by the whole splicing & dicing wiring requirments for MS. Hence my excitement at discovering you are succesfully running Freedom P&P.

Right now, I'm consulting w/ Jimmy and the FujiRacing team(in FujiRacing we trust) about AEM options, also inquirying about Freedom and of course working with Elyas on the MS option.

Elyas has maps etc he can provide me for MS so, its still an option.

And I trust you all are aware of the "KingOf Fleet" gent who make a P&P for MS and Miatas. Right?

At this point, since Im not planning on throwing on the ITBS until next spring, I can save up to invest in a P&P ECU as my mechanical skills are rather limited. Pretty much limited to someone else doing it!

Anyway, my thanks and appreciation for all thoughts and suggestions that help me get from wannaB to irtB!s

Speedwell,

FH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THat fool was probably me. I was seriously considering it but my friends talked me out of it.
Sorry Agent935. I hear ya tho, so many people here nay say IRTBs, it scared me more then once but then I'd run what they were saying past Elyas and he always had a seemingly solid rebuttal. Bottom line for me was, he had them on and running.

Also, minor detail, I do have a SUV to back me up as a DD if needed.

Anyway, sorry for your loss dude. Really.

Phatmiata - yah, I have a minor Giselle admiration going on. I just thought my beautiful car pics should be surround by equal beauty!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No hard feelings. In the end If I go ITB I want a more plug and play solution like Jimmy's setup.

also I don't have another car so the downtime and experimenting required to get a DIY setup off the ground are a no-no.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts