ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, been lurking on the CR site for awhile now...wish I would have found you guys before I took the plunge, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm and old guy with a car addiction. Have worked in and around the OEM auto industry for almost 40 years and I'm still learning.

Currently drive a modded Legacy GT with big external gate turbo and FMIC, coilovers, sways, custom exhaust system and a bunch of chassis stiffening mods, and still have my modded '71 Pantera, '69 Ram Air III GTO and '85 Vette with NOS. I just sold a mildly modded '69 Bug and was looking for a fun beater/DD when I decided on a Miata. I am very impatient and impulsive, so I bought the car 2 days after I decided on a Miata...other considerations were: S2K (too expensive), Solstice or Sky, and MR2. Price and availability won out as I was trying to not have any more out of pocket after selling the Bug.

Anyway, found a '99 on CL, price was close to my budget and it had a roll bar and a Torsen, two positives. Body was so-so, but motor/trans were tight, so I bought it (at night). After I got it home/work, put it on the rack and found leaking R&P, EGR DTC, and not too much else wrong except for the ugly wheels and too much fenderwell space. Looked for a deal on wheels/tires and springs and I'm cheap, so I settled on XXRs and Ricelands...actually I like the style of the 513s (reminds me of the original Minilite wheels) and the Raceland ride works for me. I also added the Ebay bolt on fender flares. I like to mod things so I will be making some chassis braces, adding the frame rail braces and some other small odds and ends that don't cost too much but add to the enjoyment of the car.

Since I got the Miata, I've only driven my Legacy about 20 miles, so I really enjoy the car! At my age, I don't care what other people think about what I drive or how it looks, I just try to satisfy my own aesthetics within an established budget (child going to UCSB). Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. If you see me on the streets of SoCal, wave...if I don't wave back, it's only because I didn't see you, I need new glasses. The CR site rocks!

Attachments

·
Juve per sempre
3,498 Posts
Let me welcome you to clubroadster then!

Black has great potential. Do you plan on installing the front flares also? What size tire is that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the black seems to hide a lot of the flaws until you look close, thinking about doing a satin black, but the body has too many ripples.

Not sure about adding the front flares, we did a trial fit and the look was a little off to my eye, so I'll probably sell them,

Current tires are 205/40R16. Wheels are 16x7 in front and 16x8 0 in the rear. I've mickey moused the rear wells to make the tires clear and they're not done properly yet...I want to do it myself, but I chickened out taking the plasma cutter to the body. When done, I'm probably going with 225/50 in the rear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I've always said age is a state of mind, but there are some days when I think I'm in the state of denial:lol:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Okay. Stupid question. Is that tag legal? I cant see how it can be but i dont understand!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right...I was at work when I took the shots, so instead of photochopping the real plate, I threw on a "vanity plate" that we use for photo shoots.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I agree, "from a distance" it looks great. Nice find and your garage sounds like it's full of very fun toys. Envious.

I'm a UCSB grad, class of 2002. (Although I was on the 11 year program...) Fun school.

Welcome to CR.net!

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<Like the car. Wheels are not bad, but I like 15's myself. Welcome to the site.>

Yeah, if I could do it over, I'd have gone with 15s too. More tire choices. I've always been a wheel/tire freak and I just like bigger diameter wheels and low pro tires.

<I agree, "from a distance" it looks great. Nice find and your garage sounds like it's full of very fun toys. Envious.>

Thanks Chris, don't be too envious, too low on funds to put the old cars back on the road so they sit until I win the lotto;) Hopefully when my daughter graduates, I'll do some resto work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice Ride, What tire combo did you use?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! 205/40R16 all around. Fine for the front, but too small for the rear, especially since I got the flares. Stuck for awhile until I get more cash for larger rear tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts