ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Basically, downforce is badass. I had to consciously get to power earlier to prevent the car from pushing post-apex. The car is so much more stable overall it's not even funny. It looks the part, but my goal was to feel an effect and I am extremely pleased with the results.

I am going to borrow my roommate and his SLR next week when my 2.5" risers come in and snap some photos.
Please make a lot of pictures from a bunch of angles and test it out at a high speed!!!! I want the wing but i want to see it on a car first with spacers. Write a full product review on it! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
cheesefries,
The risers are still backordered. I can offer you free shipping beyond January, with or without the risers. I'll get pictures up as soon as the risers come in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
[-X That's all I will say about this wing.
I usually don't call people this but after some research you really are a noob =D> =D> =D>

Anyways any pictures with the risers! I want to see it before APR stops their free shipping for January!
Well actually yeah I new to Miata, but not in the performance world. I've been fixing up cars since 1996. Here's one of my car I've recently sold. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/bOoStIn-NeOn/Dan 2003 Dodge SRT4/ Now I'm on a new project which is the 90 NA6C Miata

The reason I say [-X cause that wing is useless and mostly for look wise. I say the wing is acceptable for a wide body Miata due to be wider and bigger. But on a standard Miata it just too much wing for the car.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I thought it had to be higher to even get a clean shot at wind?

·
Registered
257 Posts
^ I think he's saying it's too wide.

The intent of the wing or any aerodynamic piece is to try and maintain laminar airflow for as long as possible. If the wing tucked in behind the rear glass/top then the airfoils would have a hard time as the air flow would have already de-stabilized into a turbulent mess. By forcing the wings outside of the natural flow lines they are able to act as a tunnel that smooths the air. There is another thread that shows fog lines over the miata with the top down/hard top/soft top. If you look at the lines laminar flow is broken about at the windshield level for the top down, and slightly past the roof line on the top up. The reason being that there is a stagnation point of high pressure directly behind the rear of the cockpit (think cowl induction). By adding a large wing you create a pressure difference that creates a vacuum that in turn changes the stagnation point to a location further back on the vehicle. This in turn increases the percentage of laminar flow which decreases the drag coe-fficient while at the same time increasing down force. The reason why the wing is so wide is for the same purpose. The thread only used a vertical spread fog line, but I imagine if you did a horizontal spread you would find another stagnation point directly behind the cockpit, it's inevietable (and why the prius with it's low cd has basically no downward slope after the seating position. Rather it has a gradual taper that encourages laminar flow over the entire length of the upper body. The extended canards act in the same way by creating a pressure differential aft of the cabin. This again allows for more laminar flow across the body.

I?m just a mechanical engineer that dabbles in aerodynamics, and I don?t have any simulations or models or testing etc to back up my claims. But it?s basic fluid mechanics. Any object added to an aerodynamic body will change the flow characteristics. These added bodies can either increase or decrease laminar flow depending on how they interact with stagnation points and pressure pockets. By looking at the wing and it?s geometry it appears as though it serves the purpose of minimizing the effects of the high pressure stagnation point and at the same time adding a bit of down force (as others have experienced first hand)

Sorry for such a long winded post. I?m at work and thus in engineering mode?

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
I usually don't call people this but after some research you really are a noob =D> =D> =D>

Anyways any pictures with the risers! I want to see it before APR stops their free shipping for January!
Well actually yeah I new to Miata, but not in the performance world. I've been fixing up cars since 1996. Here's one of my car I've recently sold. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/bOoStIn-NeOn/Dan 2003 Dodge SRT4/ Now I'm on a new project which is the 90 NA6C Miata

The reason I say [-X cause that wing is useless and mostly for look wise. I say the wing is acceptable for a wide body Miata due to be wider and bigger. But on a standard Miata it just too much wing for the car.
If you open your eyes, you'll notice that the wing is going on track only cars.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Well in that case, let see some result on track times with and without the spoiler. I'm talking about 3 laps a piece with both setup and a good driver. This will determine if the spoiler actual make any different for the Miata. Without R&D how's it going to convince the customer if it really work for their Miata.

·
4,296 Posts
jdm eunos . lol
this is actually the same wing most smaller compacts use in the US time attack series.
check out RedlineTimeAttack.

we all ready know this wing . jeffsl is simply a vendor ,and bringing us this wing with proper mounts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

Well in that case, let see some result on track times with and without the spoiler. I'm talking about 3 laps a piece with both setup and a good driver. This will determine if the spoiler actual make any different for the Miata. Without R&D how's it going to convince the customer if it really work for their Miata.

DUDE shut the **** up!!! :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$

·
Registered
332 Posts

DUDE shut the **** up!!! :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
Dude!!! Let not jump out of the fire here. I see the photos, but I still don't see if the spoiler made any different with or without it. So your trying to prove something but it doesn't show us anything if it made a impact on the result of track times. So :-$ and show me these facts. Then I'll :-$ :-$ and be guilty from the true fact. I'm not trying to cause trouble, I just like to know the facts on the product they for make for specific cars . It no different than some of you that want to know the horsepower gain on different brands of intake and header before you buy it. I know I do. Why spent big $$$ on something if you don't get any result from? Come on now!! :roll:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not saying ARP make crap. I've known APR product for while now since year 2000 and had a some of their product one of my cars before. But with your link provided is good information, but it still doesn't show if that spoiler make a different for specific cars like the Miata were talking about. Yeah I'm hard to please!! :lol:

21 - 40 of 71 Posts